J hook in relation to hard, inaccessible border.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SE_trad_hunter

J hook in relation to hard, inaccessible border.

Unread postby SE_trad_hunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Scouting for an entry trail to a bedding area i found a few months ago, i stumbled upon the largest bed ive found yet. It is less than 25 yds from a major interstate, facing downhill towards a creek and bridge that is used by some deer to cross the road. This bed would be used on a N to NE wind so it comes over his back, and directly downwind of a 2 yr old cutover. I think i can access this for an evening hunt, as the predominant trail in and out will allow me to be 75yds above in an off wind. The thing i was curious about, would this lend itself to having the same j hook every time, as he wouldnt be able to effectively scent check from the highway side? Or would he do it anyway, ignoring the hundreds of cars? If that is a consistent j hook, i could setup in the morning and shoot straight into his bed. Noise shouldnt be an issue, the cars are so loud hitting that bridge i could fer away with alot. Am i barking up a 2-3 yr old tree? Any beasts inpit in this type situation would be helpful, thanks guys.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: J hook in relation to hard, inaccessible border.

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm

In the hill country DVD I show some beds along a major interstate where the bucks walk down by traffic to j-hook into the bed. I show the tracks in the snow. He might be doing it and bedding in the cover of darkness, or just not getting noticed at twilight. As far as consistency goes, much harder to predict than the exit trail.
SE_trad_hunter

Unread postby SE_trad_hunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Well if id have waited a couple of days, my hill country dvd would be in to explain. I love hunting mornings, but seems afternoons will be taking priority this year as ive just heard it too many times on the beast. Thanks Dan.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 pm

SCGator wrote:Well if id have waited a couple of days, my hill country dvd would be in to explain. I love hunting mornings, but seems afternoons will be taking priority this year as ive just heard it too many times on the beast. Thanks Dan.

It depends a lot on timing... We open in early September here in Wisconsin. Around mid October I start seeing good morning action in association with the rut. This seems to end for me around mid to late November.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”