How many properties do you hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: How many properties do you hunt?

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Last season I hunted 3 properties, and the smallest was 33,000 acres. This season I will probably focus on one that is about 220,000 acres. Might throw in a small 120 acre piece during the rut that has been great in the past.

Just hunting the area for the last 4-5 years, I have enough spots to go and not hunt the same tree twice during the season. Now looking at aerials and topos, I can easily double if not triple the spots I could hunt this year. Now to just trust my gut and the wind and see what happens. This is all for one property. The other property is barely enough woods to hold 2 hunters. 3/4 of it is tall grass

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 pm

So you got out about 36 times (give or take) in Nov and Dec. and sat 19 different trees. That sounds great to me. Keeping it fresh while spending enough time in each spot to feel like you gave it a chance.
I'm about half that in total hunts and different sets. I tend to err on the side of burning them out, maybe I'll make it a goal this year to not sit the same set twice and see what happens. There's no such thing as too many spots IMO. Getting to them all is the challenge.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:25 pm

BACKSTRAPALIEN wrote:So you got out about 36 times (give or take) in Nov and Dec. and sat 19 different trees. That sounds great to me. Keeping it fresh while spending enough time in each spot to feel like you gave it a chance.
I'm about half that in total hunts and different sets. I tend to err on the side of burning them out, maybe I'll make it a goal this year to not sit the same set twice and see what happens. There's no such thing as too many spots IMO. Getting to them all is the challenge.

Not saying I hunted each tree exactly twice. Some I hunted several times and others just once. But I like the point you made about erring on the side of burning them out. Nice to be able to feel like you gave each spot a chance while still being mobile and rolling through your sets. Also brings up another point on the flip side, which is something that I'm still learning to recognize and need to get better at in order to make the most of my sets and not "waste" sits. That would be knowing when to give a spot another sit and knowing when to just move on to a different area or piece of property . One thing that Jared Scheffler from whitetail adrenaline talks about is not being "emotionally attached" to a piece of land and knowing when to move on. I think this is one thing that many hunters fall into, including myself. Thanks for all the input so far!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm

BACKSTRAPALIEN wrote:So you got out about 36 times (give or take) in Nov and Dec. and sat 19 different trees. That sounds great to me. Keeping it fresh while spending enough time in each spot to feel like you gave it a chance.

I only get to hunt saturday morning and evening, and sunday morning cause of my school schedule. I would pick a spot to hunt during the week based on forecast and my gut. If it wasn't good, I got down and started scouting. Found something good, hunted it that night. Sunday morning was typically a spot I had previous luck at for morning hunts, or something I found cyber scouting, or the previous day. After that, I would make a big loop to cover ground and walk out differently than I came in. Almost shot a doe next to my truck doing this.

I used to burn out spots and never saw deer after the second or third sit. Never thought much about it until I found the beast, and then I figured out I need to move more. From there, I saw more deer and had more fun cause I was always learning new things. Now going into this year, I have a couple areas I know where I saw deer, and now thanks to the beast, know where I should be looking for them and hopefully have better encounters.

I trusted my gut on when to call it quits on a spot. Last season, I was right much more than when I was wrong. Went back during gun season, and the hot sign I hunted during the season, was never touched again. Happy I didn't waste all season waiting on deer to come back
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm

I've got 2 private chunks I hunt and about 6 different public chunks but live with in a hour or so of thousands of acres of county forest and state lands. But I typically use my private parcels to take a doe unless I'm after a big buck on them. I've talked to guys who think I'm crazy because I'm always looking for more. Haha it's that addiction :D
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:32 pm

i have access to 2-3 private properties but honestly do huge huge majority of my hunting on 3 or 4 bigger public parcels. i used to only hunt my small 40-80 acre private properties as if they were covered in golden pixie dust that would produce a giant simply because i knew the names of all the guys hunting it and was surprised that i almost always see more deer and have better encounters on the public land. i am sure over time i will continue to gather a small pile of places to hunt but i still have so many areas that I have not scouted or hunted on the properties i do hunt that I still feel like a kid waiting for christmas as I continue to hunt new areas and spots and try different access routes
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:40 pm

I hunt about 8 to 10 different public parcels. My hope is to hit all my new spots two or three times this season. Hoping for 50-60 sits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”