Anyone else not scout?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Re: Anyone else not scout?

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 am

Like others I use late winter, early spring to check out new areas or spots where I had unexpected encounters during the previous season. Even with historical knowledge or spring scouting intel every hunt I have has some level of IN SEASON SCOUTING. If I don't see the FRESH sign I want to see, I move on now and it has really paid off for me the past 6 or 7 years.

AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:19 am

I love scouting more than hunting. Brings back the feeling of exploration I had as a child in the woods. I'm lucky to have thousands of acres of public mtn land to explore, scout, and hunt. I don't think there will ever be a time where I don't do some scouting unless I'm physically unable to get outside. This past year I've been keeping a detailed log on my scouting trips. As of right now I'm up to 207 miles scouted since the end of our rifle season in PA. Its good to hear your back is better and hope you can get out and lay down a buck this year!
I just kill mtn bucks
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:41 am

Yes keep it fun! I have had years where I didn't scout cuz I didn't feel it and/or was too busy. Scouting because you have to or are expected to would be a lousy reason to do it....if its meant to be you will catch the bug next year. If not, just keep it fun.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:08 am

If memory serves you killed the crap out of them last year I wouldn't worry too much
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:08 am

If memory serves you killed the crap out of them last year I wouldn't worry too much
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:20 am

Wlog wrote:
Dewey wrote:Sometimes we can scout hard and still not end up with good hunting spots. I think you can still do well by going on past intel especially in rut spots. There have been years where hard scouting didn't really pay off for me and show results so later in the season I went back to spots I had history with and they produced a good buck for me. Also in-season scouting is probably the best scouting you can do to be on current hot sign.

Same. A couple years ago nearly every spot I picked out on a map to scout in post season turned out to be a dud. So it's just like not scouting at all. It's a bummer but it happens. Dont sweat it. Everybody needs a break now and then.

I think we sometimes forget, the process of elimination is huge when scouting. Any area has many more poor spots than sweet spots. I'm always eliminating junk spots I think this is super helpful to me or anyone else.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:03 am

PK_ wrote:I haven't scouted outside of season in years.

Pretty sure if I lived/hunted where it never got cold or less vegetation, I would probably not do it either.

where I live, post season, winter and spring is DRASTICALLY different than now.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:30 am

Not hard to get burnt out after a long season of hunting/scouting. We have probably all been there at one point or another, just have to take a break and do what works for you, keep it light and fun. Some years I scout a ton and some years I might only get out 3-4 times for short trips, what I do have is years of info built up. Sometimes you can get burnt out just thinking of all the places you want to get to but really it doesn't matter if you get to it this year or next or in 5 years. Just do what you can when you can and when you want to go. Eventually 5 years later you have covered a lot of ground even with light scouting and you will have plenty of spots and experience to fall back on. If don't have that back log of scouting going in blind and scouting with the stand on your back can be tons of fun too. It's not always productive and you end up in some terrible spots but I have found plenty of quality spots going in blind.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm

I think I scouted twice on properties I will probably not hunt. Just wanted to go walk in the woods with my dog. Don't really feel overly prepared going into the season, but I also have pretty low expectations and easy to reach goals.

Don't fret on not scouting. Things come up all the time, and hunting can't be the top priority. Even now, I am struggling to find time to get out and shoot my bow or practice with my stand. But when you have tuition bills coming up, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Even if it means 70 hour work weeks in a lab
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:23 pm

i am definately behind on scouting. i made 2 scouting trips during season last fall after tagging out and I have made 3 scouting trips this year + turkey hunting which always becomes deer scouting hahaha. i found my first public land shed + 4 more solid bed spots with kill trees picked out so i will consider that a success. i feel pretty behind considering I was at one time able to scout 20+ times before seasons but relying on a little lady luck and past hunting experience and all the new beast dvds popping off the shelves these days :)
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Scouted a ton this late winter/spring. Unfortunately, majority of it was in Iowa where I didn't draw this year. I don't scout from green-up until opening day. Hate the mosquitos, last year's sign is less visible, it's hot and most importantly the small parcels I hunt don't take kindly to human pressure at all. Studying maps currently for a gun hunt on public land I drew for this fall, but no scouting or hanging stands for me during the summer.
Jimmybob_581

Unread postby Jimmybob_581 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:03 pm

I've actually never really scouted before this year. Usually just looked for a deer path and set up in the most open area. But this year I have multiple cameras up, looking for bedding areas, scrapes and rubs.... the way I see it is, we put so much time in the hustle and bustle that I'll take any free time to be out in the woods, spending time in Mother Nature and paying attention to the wildlife! Can never go wrong there!

I've only ever taken one buck, but I never hit the woods hard until 3 years ago when I finally did get my first one, so now that I'm getting in to it, looking at topo maps and all the other things, I'm hoping to harvest my beast this year.... but if I don't, the peace and serenity of sitting in the woods is also good with me. Good luck!
Do not follow a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Ive found if I combine acouple activities rolled into one its a lot more enjoyable to myself. I don't use the word scouting, I say what I do is more of a roaming. I do a lot of roaming while walking my dogs or flinging arrows at anything that catches my eye. Now on these trips I keep my eyes open and tend to stick to the edges and jot down anything interesting
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:54 pm

This off season I only had two days to scout because of my work schedule. I like to get my scouting done and cameras setup early. I feel like I'm way behind of where I should be.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:47 am

Dewey wrote:Sometimes we can scout hard and still not end up with good hunting spots. I think you can still do well by going on past intel especially in rut spots. There have been years where hard scouting didn't really pay off for me and show results so later in the season I went back to spots I had history with and they produced a good buck for me. Also in-season scouting is probably the best scouting you can do to be on current hot sign.

I find that like the crops, my spots rotate. Pressure, food, and several other factors contribute. I still scout and look around, but in season I can gain a lot of intel. Plus last years up and comers I keep an eye on, and if I'm chasing a giant(which this year I am) he's my main focus. Dad missed him last year at 32 yards and I had him out of a ned at 72 milling in front of me. A legit 160s deer last year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”