Afternoon setups.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Afternoon setups.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am

When i go in to hunt the afternoon last year i mostly carried 3 sticks which put the bottom of my platform about 14 feet.

Since were trying to make less noise and movement wouldn't it be more benifical to stick to 3 sticks possibly 4?

When i carry 5 sticks or 6 setup times longer added weight and more movement getting into the tree. While being higher might reduce scent is it worth the extra movement. Im sure it depends on location as long as covers good?

Or do you guys try hunting different each time slightly higher each time you hunt that spot ? Do you just learn it after hunting those 2-3 trees and heights which one you prefer over several seasons?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Peeps22
500 Club

Re: Afternoon setups.

Unread postby Peeps22 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 am

Alot of times for me its spot specific. Earlier in fall when the folage is still on the trees i end up lower just because the higher you go, the thicker it gets and takes away alot of shots.

If youre in cattails you will stick out like a sore thumb in a 8in diameter tree if youre 20' up so again you need to stay lower.

I normally carry 4 sticks but usually am only using 3 unless im in the hills, then i bring 5 and most times end up using 5.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 am

I always take notes On how many sticks I'll need.. Sometimes I only need 3 and bringing 4 is a waste of weight. I have two sets I use 5 but most of my sets are 4 sticks. 4 is just right being high enough and out of their sight and more comfortable to move.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 am

I think it's spot specific also, but I never go higher than 4. But I only have 4 sticks too. I wouldn't be too excited to go any higher than that anyway. I have a spreadsheet of my sets that tells me how many sticks I use in each spot. Then I'm not wasting efforts. Some I only use 2 stick then climb the branches the rest of the way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am

I carry 3 sticks 2 Cranford ez fold steps and up to 3 aiders.

That can get me 20+ feet but I rarely get that high.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 pm

I prefer bow hunting out of my lone wolf. I only use 3 sticks with an aider loop on the first (bottom) step. It gets me in the 18-20 foot. While bow hunting with my compound I usually try to keep the deer between myself and the tree trunk to stay hidden.

If I'm in hill country or somewhere I've been before with suitable trees I will use my summit climber. I'm quicker and quieter with it. I also use my climber more during ml and gun season after leaves have dropped.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:30 pm

I bought 4 muddy sticks dont like them so they sit in garage. Have 6 Lone wolf sticks though i hate carrying 6 into the woods.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:48 pm

It all depends. I usually will carry 4 and if I don't need one or two they stay on the ground. Other spots I have snuck into, the whole unit stays on the ground and I sit in a blow down. All depends
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:05 pm

I always carry 4. In most cases I can't get that high because there are too many obstacles to shoot around. I'd like to be 18 but I'll take 12-14 with a good shot over 18 with a poor or no shot. If you go with an aider, you should practice climbing with that because on a crooked tree if your aider doesn't hang straight down from the stick it can kick out when you put weight on it. I only would consider an aider on the bottom stick. That's just me though. I think a lot of guys are using multiple aiders successfully, I just don't feel comfortable doing it.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:16 pm

I carry 5 sticks with me. I honestly can't feel the difference of on or 2 sticks. I choose how high to hunt based on cover, shooting lanes, and scent control. There is usually one spot in one tree I need to be, and I don't want to be limited by my lack of equipment from getting there. I probably average 4 sticks. Sometimes its 2, or 3... I am ok with a couple laying at the base of the tree not getting used.

Often I know just how many sticks i will need for a set, but I still take 5, even if I need 3. I also take my stand and 5 sticks when I intend to hunt off the ground. This is because I don't make solid decisions. I might be heading to a spot and see something better or hot now, and not make it to the destination.
Or the wind is wrong and I hunt the spot, but a different tree.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:55 am

Dans post always make perfect sense, i see the point, being prepared and making the best of any situation is just another piece of the puzzle to being a Big Buck Serial Killer! Good post!! :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 am

I always bring four LW sticks and also a few Cranford rope steps in case I want to get another 5-6 feet. Some times I only use one stick and other times I will use it all. Every tree is different depending on cover. Good to have all options available just in case.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Dewey wrote:I always bring four LW sticks and also a few Cranford rope steps in case I want to get another 5-6 feet. Some times I only use one stick and other times I will use it all. Every tree is different depending on cover. Good to have all options available just in case.

How do u like those Cranford rope steps? I have been on the fence about getting some.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I always bring four LW sticks and also a few Cranford rope steps in case I want to get another 5-6 feet. Some times I only use one stick and other times I will use it all. Every tree is different depending on cover. Good to have all options available just in case.

How do u like those Cranford rope steps? I have been on the fence about getting some.

As far as rope steps go I think they are the best out there. They do the job but I wouldn't want to climb 25 feet with them. I always carry a few for the above reason or to hang a cam up high out of the reach of thieves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”