Scrub Brush

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dannyboy

Scrub Brush

Unread postby dannyboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 pm

In the new hunting club I have joined this Spring, I have noticed through scouting it that it has a lot of what I call scrub brush. Young and mature oaks, pines, and hardwoods. In other areas, thick cedar groves will be mixed in. It's hard to see twenty yards in front of you and I don't see much sign in there for the most part but I feel some good mature bucks are in there just because of the cover and size of it ( three areas ranging from 100 to 300 acres. There a few edges to hunt but most of the time not as the scrub brush continues off the property. Any ideas how to tackle this would be appreciated

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Scrub Brush

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:07 am

It sometimes takes me 3 seasons to figure out a 100 acre property. The best time is b4 spring green up where u can see the sign and come up with a plan. I've hunted properties like u describe sometimes a internal fence makes a good edge, or creek or road there's all kinds of edges
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:58 am

Any swampy or wet areas? Creeks? Where water meets dry ground is a good edge.

Also, any areas that recieve very little human entry even if they are close to access rds and trails or houses.

Good luck!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:23 am

A lot harder this time of year but I'd walk the edges of it If possible. Look for small terrain changes like dips, rises anything different when everything is the same.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”