FOOD PLOT - SLOPE OF TERRAIN?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Alfarah50

FOOD PLOT - SLOPE OF TERRAIN?

Unread postby Alfarah50 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 am

Itching to plant a 1/4 acre kill plot. I have an opening that sits between bedding areas all over a ridge and thicket, the location gives me a perfect entrance and exit from West or East wind direction so I'm dying to put a plot in for them to stage in before hitting the acre clover/chicory plot in the field. The opening is sloped and gets a little steep towards the top and bottom, I know that the middle will plant well, but will rain wash seed out? Does anyone have any experience with plots on a hillside or slope of some sort?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: FOOD PLOT - SLOPE OF TERRAIN?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 am

Best thing to do on a slope is leave a strip of grass in the middle. In other words do 1/8 acre this year and do the other 1/8 acre next year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am

You can leave some strips of grass in between strips of crops on the sloped areas, terrace it, or at least run your equipment along the slope as opposed to up and down the hill. Don't give the rain water a chance to pick up any speed and it will reduce erosion.

Kudos for noticing this.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am

Check out No-Till planting and food plotting. Dr. Grant Woods of Growing Deer TV is an advocate of the practice
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

Twenty Up wrote:Check out No-Till planting and food plotting. Dr. Grant Woods of Growing Deer TV is an advocate of the practice

I second this. Watch his videos, especially his ones from this yr, as no-till has become a major part of his plot strategy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”