Wisconsin May Relax Baiting Rules

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Re: Wisconsin May Relax Baiting Rules

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 am

matt1336 wrote:People will simply stop hunting if they can't bait cuz they don't know how to shoot a deer by any other manner and or they don't want to put in the effort to learn a couple new tricks. Additionally the sale of bait brings much needed money to the communities in north woods. If people stop hunting cuz they can't bait, that takes a huge chunk out of the north woods economy too. Bars, gas stations hotels all that. As with anything, there are political factors at work here.

I think more people have quit up here because there are so few deer. While scouting, I've found places where there are no deer. I couldn't believe it because I'd never before seen it in all my years of hunting. It will take a few more years for deer to fill the voids.

Dewey wrote:I actually agree that many of the guys that quit hunting after the baiting ban really don't know any other way to hunt other than over bait. Pretty sad if that's the case. Any serious hunter would adapt and figure out a new tactic to get it done.

I think this is more of a case for bowhunters than gun hunters. We all know bowhunting can take time, while gun hunters have nine days at most. I think many gun hunters have quit up here because of a lack of deer. The morning before gun season each year, I drive from my home in Minocqua to Ashland, where my gun hunting camp is located. Hotels, gas stations, grocery stores and bars all used to be decorated with "welcome hunters" signs. Not so now. You can buy a hunting camp in Iron County right now for pennies on the dollar.

Dewey wrote:Back when I hunted much more up there I spent most of my season up north so I always had a very good handle on what was going on as far as deer movement patterns. The season after CWD was found and then baiting was banned statewide the daylight deer movement exploded because deer were forced to forage instead of bedding near bait piles. That season was by far the best I ever had up there for deer sightings. It was the perfect storm of a very high deer population and no baiting forcing deer to move more than ever in daylight.

Very true. That was in 2003. My gun hunting camp near Ashland makes a lot of drives later in the season. Normally we move deer during only a handful of drives because the deer are in "pockets" near bait. The year without baiting, we moved deer in every drive because they were more spread out.

Dewey wrote:It's been nothing but downhill since due to the antlerless slaughters. Pretty sad what happened up there in recent years.

I think the antlerless hunting that was done is given more blame/credit for reducing the deer herd than it deserves. If you want a perfect storm, it was the antlerless hunting combined with an aging forest and an unchecked-and-increasing predator population in wolves. Then the winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14 hit. Frankly, I don't know how any survived the latter of the two. That winter sucked. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the toughness of deer.

Twenty years ago when we had a rough winter, all it took to increase deer numbers was to reduce the antlerless permits for a couple years. Now, there's been a substantial increase in the amount of logging on state lands for the last five years, and we've had three years of no antlerless hunting, yet the herd is just starting to show signs of a comeback. A lot of the "bounce" we used to see in the herd is being eaten by predators.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:53 am

Steve Heiting wrote:
matt1336 wrote:People will simply stop hunting if they can't bait cuz they don't know how to shoot a deer by any other manner and or they don't want to put in the effort to learn a couple new tricks. Additionally the sale of bait brings much needed money to the communities in north woods. If people stop hunting cuz they can't bait, that takes a huge chunk out of the north woods economy too. Bars, gas stations hotels all that. As with anything, there are political factors at work here.

I think more people have quit up here because there are so few deer. While scouting, I've found places where there are no deer. I couldn't believe it because I'd never before seen it in all my years of hunting. It will take a few more years for deer to fill the voids.

Dewey wrote:I actually agree that many of the guys that quit hunting after the baiting ban really don't know any other way to hunt other than over bait. Pretty sad if that's the case. Any serious hunter would adapt and figure out a new tactic to get it done.

I think this is more of a case for bowhunters than gun hunters. We all know bowhunting can take time, while gun hunters have nine days at most. I think many gun hunters have quit up here because of a lack of deer. The morning before gun season each year, I drive from my home in Minocqua to Ashland, where my gun hunting camp is located. Hotels, gas stations, grocery stores and bars all used to be decorated with "welcome hunters" signs. Not so now. You can buy a hunting camp in Iron County right now for pennies on the dollar.

Dewey wrote:Back when I hunted much more up there I spent most of my season up north so I always had a very good handle on what was going on as far as deer movement patterns. The season after CWD was found and then baiting was banned statewide the daylight deer movement exploded because deer were forced to forage instead of bedding near bait piles. That season was by far the best I ever had up there for deer sightings. It was the perfect storm of a very high deer population and no baiting forcing deer to move more than ever in daylight.

Very true. That was in 2003. My gun hunting camp near Ashland makes a lot of drives later in the season. Normally we move deer during only a handful of drives because the deer are in "pockets" near bait. The year without baiting, we moved deer in every drive because they were more spread out.

Dewey wrote:It's been nothing but downhill since due to the antlerless slaughters. Pretty sad what happened up there in recent years.

I think the antlerless hunting that was done is given more blame/credit for reducing the deer herd than it deserves. If you want a perfect storm, it was the antlerless hunting combined with an aging forest and an unchecked-and-increasing predator population in wolves. Then the winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14 hit. Frankly, I don't know how any survived the latter of the two. That winter sucked. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the toughness of deer.

Twenty years ago when we had a rough winter, all it took to increase deer numbers was to reduce the antlerless permits for a couple years. Now, there's been a substantial increase in the amount of logging on state lands for the last five years, and we've had three years of no antlerless hunting, yet the herd is just starting to show signs of a comeback. A lot of the "bounce" we used to see in the herd is being eaten by predators.

I agree. It was a combination of everything you mentioned but the T-Zone hunts laid the foundation. I personally know guys that killed anywhere between 10-20 antlerless deer/season when they were giving out unlimited tags up there. The deer were just about completely wiped out in those areas after only a few years of this and never did recover. Those winters you mentioned were a killer. The only one that compared in recent memory was 1996-97 if I remember right. I was hunting in the UP more then and the amount of dead deer I found spring scouting was staggering. The deer population up there still hasn't recovered from that 20 years later.

I hear what your saying about the voids. I have been really getting into snow tracking in recent years and am amazed how large chunks of land that held great deer populations in the past have zero tracks or sign. This past season while snow tracking during gun season I found wolf tracks in areas we have never seen them before. No doubt they are have a huge impact.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:04 am

Steve Heiting wrote:
I think the antlerless hunting that was done is given more blame/credit for reducing the deer herd than it deserves. If you want a perfect storm, it was the antlerless hunting combined with an aging forest and an unchecked-and-increasing predator population in wolves.Then the winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14 hit. Frankly, I don't know how any survived the latter of the two. That winter sucked. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the toughness of deer.

Spot on!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:27 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Steve Heiting wrote:
I think the antlerless hunting that was done is given more blame/credit for reducing the deer herd than it deserves. If you want a perfect storm, it was the antlerless hunting combined with an aging forest and an unchecked-and-increasing predator population in wolves.Then the winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14 hit. Frankly, I don't know how any survived the latter of the two. That winter sucked. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the toughness of deer.

Spot on!

The wolves really did a number on the population. There is legislation pending in the US Congress to remove their federal protection that I am keeping a close eye on, but so far there hasn't been any movement on it since it was introduced in January which is a shame because this current congress is probably its best chance of passing.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am

The wardens are barely enforcing the baiting ban in Oneida and Vilas county. I reported multiple locations with GPS coordinates plus other highly suspect areas and had one warden attempt to find my reported location. He couldn't find it, confirmed by his tracks left in the snow and when I called to confirm he didn't know where he was going.

His response was it was probably an Indian because they are allowed to bait and you can still hunt your area as long as you're not within site of the bait pile. :shock: :lol:

Please don't take my experiences with the DNR as a free for all and start dumping corn in the woods without expecting some conflict......a warden could still issue a citation. My local warden, who I know very well and not the warden who couldn't find the bait I wanted gone, did not issue a baiting citation during the 9 day gun season. He may have pinched somebody during muzzy or bow season because I kept pestering him but I have no proof he did or did not.

I use baiting as a valuable tool mid and late archery season....explained some of my tactics on here a few times. Remember one does not need to hunt directly over the bait to be successful with a mature buck but you can kill one over bait if you're careful and know what you're doing. My buddies and I have done it numerous times.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:The wardens are barely enforcing the baiting ban in Oneida and Vilas county. I reported multiple locations with GPS coordinates plus other highly suspect areas and had one warden attempt to find my reported location. He couldn't find it, confirmed by his tracks left in the snow and when I called to confirm he didn't know where he was going.

His response was it was probably an Indian because they are allowed to bait and you can still hunt your area as long as you're not within site of the bait pile. :shock: :lol:

Please don't take my experiences with the DNR as a free for all and start dumping corn in the woods without expecting some conflict......a warden could still issue a citation. My local warden, who I know very well and not the warden who couldn't find the bait I wanted gone, did not issue a baiting citation during the 9 day gun season. He may have pinched somebody during muzzy or bow season because I kept pestering him but I have no proof he did or did not.

I use baiting as a valuable tool mid and late archery season....explained some of my tactics on here a few times. Remember one does not need to hunt directly over the bait to be successful with a mature buck but you can kill one over bait if you're careful and know what you're doing. My buddies and I have done it numerous times.

How many 4+ year old bucks have you killed by utilizing a bait pile??? Got pics? ?? I quit baiting 5 or 6 years ago. 2 Gallons of kernel corn ain't much. Squirrels, birds and other rodents can eat a lot of the 2 gallon legal limit.

Every time I baited, I ended up killing a deer where I wasn't baiting at, so I quit, wasn't worth it, IMO
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I can't figure out how to delete recent posts. But I also wanted to ask hodag, of all these mature bucks him and his buddies kill utilizing bait , what percentage were archery kills
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Oops, never mind, I just noticed you ment strictly, JUST archery.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:55 pm

I know a lot of good bait hunters in the Northwoods that tag good bucks every year. Hodag isn't lying. It's a skill game even with the bait. You cant just throw a bait pile next to buck bedding and expect to kill a good one.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:18 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Steve Heiting wrote:

Spot on!

If its not mostly overharvest then explain why us in the Southern Farm and SE WI where the farmland and marshland habitat doesn't change also saw HUGE reduction in deer because of EAB...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:29 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Steve Heiting wrote:

Spot on!

If its not mostly overharvest then explain why us in the Southern Farm and SE WI where the farmland and marshland habitat doesn't change also saw HUGE reduction in deer because of EAB...

I'm not arguing against overharvest. I don't think Steve is either. It was clearly the biggest factor. The habitat, wolves, and some rough winters have clearly slowed recovery. Northern WI has been buck only for several years in an attempt to recover. Southern WI, in the other hand, has maintained a steady supply of doe tags. Today the Northern WI deer herd still looks far weaker than the Southern herd. :think:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:24 am

John, I can count 9 off the top of my head between buddy and I we are fairly confident over 4 years old shot with bait.

2.5 or 3.5 year old bucks not sure on buddies count. Guessing mid 20s?
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 am

goldtip5575 wrote:If its not mostly overharvest then explain why us in the Southern Farm and SE WI where the farmland and marshland habitat doesn't change also saw HUGE reduction in deer because of EAB...

Nobody's arguing against overharvest. But the forest dynamic, winters and predator issues of northern WI cannot be compared to farmland/marshland of southern WI.

As to the question of 4.5 YO bucks over bait, I got four from 2011-15. Two responded to the bait within days of the beginning of the rut, one was chasing a hot doe, one (7.5 YO) was cruising through, checking for does.

Last year it wasn't legal to bait where I bowhunt, so no baiting. I also have not hunted a remote spot since 2013 (which remains open to baiting) because the winter of 2012-13 killed all the older bucks, and the winter of 2013-14 killed almost all of the remaining deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”