Iowa

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Iowa

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Just got back from iowa couple days ago. Fat lady has definetly sang for me. Kind of depressing. trip didnt start out so good,first night there we pulled off to the side of the road to park,and ditch monster pulled both right side tires into ditch. Had to call wrecker cost $158.00 guess he wasnt a fellow hunter :roll: while i waited for wrecker told my buddy to go ahead and hunt. Long story short we found alot of standing corn and they were absolutely pounding acorns. We were on tons of does all weekend but no bucks in tow. My question is do you think the bucks are just that much later coming out,or are they feeding somewhere else. to be on that many does would think we should have seen some small bucks at least. It was public ground but moon phase was perfect and weather was extremely cold. We put in alot of time this fall and this last trip scouting. I know this particular area pretty well now and would feel very confident next time i could hunt there. Unfortunately that will be at least three years probably four before can draw again. throughout this whole process starting a year ago when i knew i would draw an iowa tag its been like pulling teeth to get any good info on what public land chunk to hunt and where to hunt on that piece. I dont mean here on this site,just in general. I know i cant draw for at least three years, if anyone is doing a public land hunt in zone 9 iowa i would be happy to share what info i have :D

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Iowa

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

How crowded was it this year. I'm due to draw if I choose to.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 am

I hunted muzz up there the last two years. Saw some nice bucks and a lot of deer, but no luck. Not too much pressure either.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 am

When we went this fall it wasnt crowded at all till the weekend. Even then not so bad. Although i heard yellow river forest area was very busy. Last weekend hardly no one.
buckhunter31

Unread postby buckhunter31 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

i am do to draw a archery tag for zone 9 this year. I still dont know if i will hunt public or try and nock on some doors. Any help would be great.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:47 am

Too bad about your trip. Wonder if any of those "does" were shed bucks? Talked to a guy last night, that shot a "doe" three weeks ago with the muzzle loader. Except it ended up being a 4 1/2 year old buck...ooops.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm

hunt n nut wrote:Too bad about your trip. Wonder if any of those "does" were shed bucks? Talked to a guy last night, that shot a "doe" three weeks ago with the muzzle loader. Except it ended up being a 4 1/2 year old buck...ooops.

Definetly possible. I didnt get a good look at every one for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”