Choosing the right tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hogie
Facebook: Dave Hogestyn

Choosing the right tree

Unread postby Hogie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:56 am

More of a hill country type question!

I have a situation where I can't get close enough to the best bedding. There is a north south running ridge with multiple heavily used buck beds 1/3 of the way down on the east side of the slope. The top third has approx 6 acres very thick with briars and grape vine (best bedding located). The problem is, I located multiple beds (heavily used) along the same shelf in the open areas to the north and south of the thick area described. I am concerned that I will be spotted by a buck trying to get too close to that spot and alert all the other bucks that may be on the same elevation. I feel like they have me pinned any way I approach it.

Maybe someone has an idea on how to approach this?

rempse2

Re: Choosing the right tree

Unread postby rempse2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:50 pm

A topo map or drawing with predominate winds indicated and some points of reference/access trails, beds ect would help guys get a better understanding of what your situation is.
Hogie
Facebook: Dave Hogestyn

Unread postby Hogie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I tried to load an image and had difficulty. Tried to be descriptive enough to get the picture.

The wind direction in this bedding scenario is out of the W, NW and SW. The heaviest travel route is along that same elevation as the bedding on that 1/3 elevation from the top.

Otherwise I need some techs on the site to lend a hand in posting images
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Text me a pic and I can load it for you
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 pm

It sound like you need to quarter into the wind. Meaning.

On a northwest wind you come over the top of the ridge from the southwest. Above the southern most bedding. Or on a southwest wind you come over the top of the ridge from the northwest. Above the northern most bedding.

Does that make sense?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 am

Everyone would probably like to see a pic but it sounds like a large buck bedding area or deer in general. Sounds great! Bucks will shift around and be in different spots based on the wind. They move around to feed a little within the bedding area and shift positions regularly. This can be tough even for people who have done it awhile bc it may take more than 2 hunts to figure it out or have to be willing to pass other deer or its seasonal or the bigger one just isnt getting far enough for you to kill him. If you are seeing sign leaving the beds but its going in multiple directions make some set ups for each direction and try to figure out where hes heading and what time of year (if possible). Could be a morning hunt situation to get it done but I think some type of observation for this area is important. If you run cams to get info, consider the distance from bedding so that it doesnt get pressured.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly, there is thick cover and bedding on the top 1/3 of the ridge. I would access from the east well before daylight, hunting below the transition line. When the thermals switch mid morning move as needed. Or observe from the ridge to the east until thermals switch and then move in right where you need to be.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:27 am

2 ways to handle it... #1 Go ahead and bump the satellite deer. Go in early, bump em and set up on the mature bucks that are in the secure bedding.
#2 set up as close as possible to the bedding that is blocking your access... Both have worked for me. I do find mature bucks move farther in dayulight when moving thru an area with other deer. I have also found that bumping a few deer does not always spook the mature buck as much as one might think especially if its midday and not in the evening when there more alert.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”