Let's talk bedding areas.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stump

Let's talk bedding areas.....

Unread postby Stump » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:52 pm

And because I want to see deer and since it's merely a numbers game, let's start with the doe first. There's more of them. :D And well, when the pre-rut and rut roll around...keying in on the doe and what they do is important.

Is there a top ten list.....a paragraph, that would sum up doe bedding areas? Areas, cover, steep terrain, etc.....

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Let's talk bedding areas.....

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Multiple beds in one area..does typically bed together, all facing different directions.

Something I am questioning as well..Do they still bed in places where wind is to their advantage, and move around based on wind like bucks do, or do does care less about the wind and stuff because of all the extra eyes they have?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 pm

The answer's real depend on the hunting pressure the area recieve's, and the age of the lead doe.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I would say a consistent sizeable terrain .Whether it,s a large chunk of grass or a grove of trees.I don,t really see the does bedding on or in the transition areas.Seems to me that if I find a doe area it,s usually filled with the same terrain all around them .Bucks change it up more i feel.I doe could get up and move 10 feet in either direction and their view would,nt change.They like a consistant cover .
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 am

Do does have multiple bedding areas like bucks do, or do they bed in the same place all the time?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:55 am

does bed everywhere in my expeierence... by food and what not. not to hard to find does... now bucks, totally different ball game.
You can't kill em on the couch
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 am

In my area (hill country) they seem to bed in the same area depending on there choice of food source. If they are hitting a bean field, they will use the bedding area closest to it and so on. So I believe that they have a bedding area that leaves them close to there food source, but if the hot food source of choice is on the other side of the property they will bed some place close by. They may be able to use that bedding area to access other food sources close by, but will move to a new bedding area if the food source is way on the other side of the property. Just my .02
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 am

In hilly terrain I find them bedding the same general area as the bucks, but at a higher elevation.
Swamps and marshes they tend to bed in the same spots as bucks but usually closer to open area and not quite as deep into the thick unless they are bedding alone.
I do find them bedding in seenminly odd places, there is usually a reason and it generally has to do with the multiple does bedding as a team.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:24 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Do does have multiple bedding areas like bucks do, or do they bed in the same place all the time?

They have multiple bedding areas.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:41 am

dan wrote:In hilly terrain I find them bedding the same general area as the bucks, but at a higher elevation.
Swamps and marshes they tend to bed in the same spots as bucks but usually closer to open area and not quite as deep into the thick unless they are bedding alone.
I do find them bedding in seenminly odd places, there is usually a reason and it generally has to do with the multiple does bedding as a team.
Agree with Dan here. This Is exactly what they do In the woods I hunt.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 pm

The thickest area downwind of, in close proximity to, a primary food source- thats my all things general one sentence answer

Too many variables- terrain, rut phase, food changes, weather
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”