Scout/Hunting trips

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kybowhunter

Scout/Hunting trips

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 am

When on a scout/hunt trip to a place you have never been to what is your gameplan? Do you find a specific area on a map you would like to check out then scout your way in to the spot? If you do find hot sign scouting your way in how close are you pushing to suspected bedding before setting up?

Lockdown

Re: Scout/Hunting trips

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 am

I don't go in for blind hunts much, but my game plan for scouting is to make a plan and stick to it. I wasted sooo much time wandering my first year and even some my second. It's easy to get side tracked.

I think the most effective method on a big new-to-me property is speed scouting the first time in. Look at aerials and find what you consider to be the best suspected bedding areas. Even if you're not good at cyber scouting make your best guess anyway. Then go in and get a feel for the property. Figure out where all the access and hunter pressure is, and where the remote/tough access areas are.If you see something that catches your eye take a swing thru it quick.

You'll surely have spots that peak your interest and spots you can write off completely. Then take your knowledge and cyber scout it again. Try and figure out why you saw what you did.

Then go in a 2nd time and dig deeper. While speed scouting if you found solid bedding you know you want to hunt then spend some serious time there. Follow all the trails, rublines and find the scrapes. Sit in the buck bed(s) and see what they see. Ask yourself why that deer is there, where he's going when he leaves, and how he accesses upon re-entry in the morning.

Sometimes I bring my stand and sticks an prep a set the 2nd time in, but often I'll go back a 3rd time after more cyber scouting. I'll reassess everything quick then set up a kill tree or ground blind. Some bedding is easy to set up on, some are a nightmare and require a lot of thinking.

MAKE SURE YOU PLAN YOUR ACCESS!! Physically walk your exact access route the last 100-200 yards to your set with your stand on your back.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:38 am

Lockdown has a really good handle on what I do also.

Cyber scouting, boots on the gounds. More cyber scouting, go in find a kill tree and entrance/exit routes. Sometimes I can do it all in one scouting trip. Going in blind can be tough depending how thick it is. Scouting much more that you hunt is a good rule of thumb. I try to get most of my scouting done before the season. But realistically, anytime i'm in the woods I'm checking for sign and looking for big tracks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 am

LD and tgreeno have it all covered. LD had been a huge help with a few of my long distance hunts and scouts.

One thing I'll add if the time of year. Obviously scouting while last years sign is still frozen and no foliage is optimal. Hunting wise I'd say go when the percentages maybe in your favor a little bit. When the Bucks will be up on their feet. I feel that really holds true for early season if you can't pre scout. Not saying it's not going to happen as a lot of dudes put them down on early season hunts it's just my .2.

Cyber scout, and cyber scout again. When your done with that do it again from another view. Make a plan then make another. Back up plans and another. Be willing to make a move to another area.
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 am

I do understand everyones point about pre scouting and scouting before you actually hunt. Im usually around three scouting trips per hunt during season. Sometimes I get the oppurtunity to get up with a buddy or whatever and get invited to a place I've never been on a property they hunt. Somewhere I never expected id be. So it's usually either take their word for it and hunt a place they say or throw your stand on your back and wing it. Just curious as to how people on here would attack that situation.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am

Kybowhunter wrote:I do understand everyones point about pre scouting and scouting before you actually hunt. Im usually around three scouting trips per hunt during season. Sometimes I get the oppurtunity to get up with a buddy or whatever and get invited to a place I've never been on a property they hunt. Somewhere I never expected id be. So it's usually either take their word for it and hunt a place they say or throw your stand on your back and wing it. Just curious as to how people on here would attack that situation.

Got ya. If I was in that situation I would still cyber scout and add what observations or data they have. I did not hunt a friends property because I wanted to go into an area that he didn't want me in. He's a tv show hunter. If your friends are alright with it and you cyber scout a better area than where they say then IMO go for it. Look for hot sign that pertains with the time of the year (early season, pre rut, rut, etc). If not then take it as a free hunt if your main spots are not ready yet.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 am

First things first, writing off spots on the map that are probably pressured. The time of season would also affect my decision. Most areas I attempt or want to go in blind are going to be evening sits and most likely spots I just didnt make it while scouting. Then pick bedding areas and possible food/water. If I havent been there before I'm definitely focusing on terrain features as well. Any advantage available.

Once its time to go in, its usually a slower pace so I'm leaving for the woods earlier than normal. Satellite doe bedding is a tough one so I plan for time just standing there letting things cool down. Judging the wind in spots can be very tough so a good consistent wind helps.

If I even make it to my desrination area, I generally follow Dan's advice just setup on the first good sign that I see. Especially tracks, I just stop and figure it out from there. Sometimes I decide how close simply by how the season has gone so far. If its been a rough go I might go for broke. Worst case scenario a good one gets bumped and maybe get a chance the next day. In light of the bump n dump thread ill definitely start analyzing better bc the deer might come back sooner than later. Use whatever Intel is gathered for future attempts or decide if itz not worth it again. Thinking on the fly to make an adjustment really lets you know what you're made of.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 am

Kybowhunter wrote:When on a scout/hunt trip to a place you have never been to what is your gameplan? Do you find a specific area on a map you would like to check out then scout your way in to the spot? If you do find hot sign scouting your way in how close are you pushing to suspected bedding before setting up?

I think you mean you aren't able to scout ahead of time? In that case I like to have 8-10 different areas that interest me because most of them will be a bust. I have found that even with being very selective with the spots I plan to check on foot, only about 30% of the spots I waypoint on a map are as good or better than I hope. Public land is reallllly hit or miss.

I generally just burn ground and quickly get into the area I am interested in. Most of the ground you suspect to be junk, is junk. So For the most part just move through it. But if possible I will quickly check pinch points, potentntial bedding, creek crossings, etc Otw just to get a feel for deer and hunter activity. But don't get caught up on the deer sign, it is likely nighttime sign in those easy to access areas.

Kybowhunter wrote:I do understand everyones point about pre scouting and scouting before you actually hunt. Im usually around three scouting trips per hunt during season. Sometimes I get the oppurtunity to get up with a buddy or whatever and get invited to a place I've never been on a property they hunt. Somewhere I never expected id be. So it's usually either take their word for it and hunt a place they say or throw your stand on your back and wing it. Just curious as to how people on here would attack that situation.

There are few people on this earth I would 'take their word for' blindly in regards of where to hunt if I want to kill a mature buck. In this situation I always check the map and scout with my stand on my back. If they tell you to feel free to hunt a permanent ladder on a ridge top and the maps shows a bench a little lower on the hill I know where I am headed. Lots of similar situations to that, too many to dig into. Unless the guy(s) hunting the property are smart with their setups, keep the pressure off and have a track record of killing the top bucks off that piece, but I have never been invited to hunt with such a group :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:44 am

I've had some excellent hunts over the years and even shot some good bucks going in blind. That being said I've also had many more deer less days going in blind. It helps if you've atleast hunted similar terrain even if you've never stepped foot on a property. Then atleast you have something to base your assumptions on. The biggest thing I think is to trust your gut.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pm

I like the ability to compare to similar terrain. I also would only go in blind if they had no cell coverage and no paper map. Even 5 minutes with a paper map from 20 years ago is scouting.

With the theory of bed hunting and wind based bedding we are in a new era for confidence and skill levels. No fear!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Kybowhunter wrote:When on a scout/hunt trip to a place you have never been to what is your gameplan? Do you find a specific area on a map you would like to check out then scout your way in to the spot? If you do find hot sign scouting your way in how close are you pushing to suspected bedding before setting up?

I did not draw KS this year...so I will be back to the drawing board in a neighboring state. If you get a chance, listen to the podcast with Spysar. http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/04/06/wired-to-hunt-podcast-147-how-eric-pysar-pulls-off-multiple-py-bow-kills-on-his-annual-diy-rut-hunting-trips/ Lot of good information here, very similar to my approach.

Really depends on the time of year. Rut based hunts require a different scouting tactic than pre rut. I start very broad. Meaning...how much ground is there that I have to hunt? If I am public ground bound, how many pieces of public ground are within 30 minutes of my "home base". Than I start rating them. PK is right...you need a lot of ground to weed through the junk. I have a lot of backups to my backup plans. I have studied and studied lots of maps only to find out the place is void of deer. Push into the good stuff. If I see what I want, I mark it. Plan my sit. Move on to the next spot.

Certain places you go do not have tons of pressure. Just depends on what part of the country you will be hunting. Makes a huge difference on how you scout and hunt.

I flat out do not trust anyone but a very select few. I find most involved with hunting have no clue OR they are out to sell you a bill of goods. Some do it on purpose, others do it because they do not know any better.

I am not really quite sure "what" info you were looking for. I travel to hunt every year and I am in the thick of planning right now.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

I wasted way too many years hunting private land that I couldn't really hunt where I wanted! I was relegated to hunt where my buddy would let me. That ended when I started hunting public. I hunt when I want, where I want! The season is too short to waste sits. If you aren't planning on killing a mature buck every sit, then why go out?

Attack it just like any piece of public you haven't walked. Cyber scout it. Find the areas of interest. Go in there with the stand on your back and hunt the best looking area! Alot of times it's a gut feel decision. You can never go wrong hunting hot sign near bedding!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 pm

tgreeno wrote:

I wasted way too many years hunting private land that I couldn't really hunt where I wanted! I was relegated to hunt where my buddy would let me. That ended when I started hunting public. I hunt when I want, where I want! The season is too short to waste sits. If you aren't planning on killing a mature buck every sit, then why go out?

Attack it just like any piece of public you haven't walked. Cyber scout it. Find the areas of interest. Go in there with the stand on your back and hunt the best looking area! Alot of times it's a gut feel decision. You can never go wrong hunting hot sign near bedding!

I'm learning the more educated and experienced that gut is the learning curve gets better and better. At least for me I can read and be told on here all day long, but until I put boots on the ground and follow my gut and fail and succeed I won't be able to figure it out. I look forward to season now more then I ever have because I get to put the theories I am learning into practice.

As for you question I dealt with that exact situation on the farm in KY. hard fast stands and this how i've always done it. I opted to go with their way the first year and had a blast. The next year I said hey I got my stand i'm gonna through some mobile sits in the mix. and when I started bringing pics back of many more encounters then they were used to having they quit questioning my mobile hunting practice. the numbers will speak for themselves. I wholeheartedly believe you will see more deer mobile then from a stand the deer know is in the woods.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”