Would You Shoot a Deer at 40 Yards?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Would You Shoot a Deer at 40 Yards?

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:Yep without hesitation. That said I prefer it at 12 yards! Longest deer kill is 52 yards on a doe. Hard lesson to learn. I was shooting to 76 yards regularly and the doe was calm feeding. I had ranged her several times. Light was getting low and she wasn't coming in. I made the wrong call. I was rock solid aiming at the bottom of her heart anticipating the doe to duck. And duck she did I spine shot her got the tape measure out later and hit 10" from where I was aiming. granted I put her down with a follow up shot and she was out super quick from that one. 40 yards is my self imposed limit. I have killed a total of 14 deer in the 35-40 yard range. Looking at my log it looks like I have 38 deer under 20 yards with a bow. That one doe is the only deer I ever shot at past 40 yards. Guys that shoot farther then that more power to you there are a ton of things that come into play. But my record with a bow was an insanely lucky 74 yard shot on a fox squirrel (yes I eat fox squirrels squirrel stew is delicious!). I wasn't actually planning to kill that one though it was more of a bet you can't hit that squirrel kind of thing with my cousin.

Side note: I have actually thought about taking my 50 and 60 yard pin out of my sight once the season starts just to eliminate the temptation if that big buck was standing at 48 yards for instance.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:38 pm

"Optimal conditions" is the key for me. Yes I would. I practice to 50 yards on a regular basis, so I would take the shot. 40 is my limit though!

Most all of my set-up are tailored to a 15-25 yard shot. So a shot that long would be a rare occurrence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Not any more. Have killed a couple in the past at 40+ Just don't like to.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Nope. My bow is getting too old and I don't have the time or space to practice a lot
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Yes. I practice out to 60. If the conditions are perfect I would.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 pm

No. My limit currently is 30. Practice at 60. 35 in the right situation..

Chad
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Not at the moment. 95% of my sits wouldn't have the option anyways, too thick. Used to live on a golf course and regularly shot out to 50-60 yards on the fairway in the evening at least a couple of days a week and felt very confident at 40 at that time. Shot at one deer at what ended up being 42, that I missed because I thought he was at 30 (deer would have pushed 300 on the hoof so size screwed me up a little and I panicked and was using the wrong tree I ranged for reference). Other than that longest kill was 32 yards. Right now I only practice at 40-50 a couple of times a month, max I can get in my yard is 30, so that is about my field max right now.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:07 am

The bow and I are capable at 40. Longest kill was a pig (small pig too) at 50.

However my bow is old and loud. Last deer I shot at at 40 was calm, feeding broadside. However the woods were dead quiet. When I released the deer ducked, turned and had already begun to bound by the time the arrow got there. Arrow went where I was aiming but I missed the deer by several FEET! He circled downwind of where the arrow struck a log and I killed him at 20 yards while he stared at my blue nocturnal :lol:

Need a little cover noise and I will shoot 40, last year killed a buck at 35 no problem and he was locked onto me but enough cover noise to drown out the sound of the bow.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 am

25 yards is my max. I've lost 2 bucks, 1 was hit at 30 yards and the 2nd at 32 yards. Both jumped the string and moved.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 am

35 yards is my longest kill shot. All other shots have been under 20 yards. It really boils down to practice, your comfort level, and the conditions... if your confident and practice at that range consistently then I say go for it... it gets more interesting when that shooter is at range and you have to decide on whether or not to take the shot. At least if you have practiced out to those ranges consistently you have the option
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 am

Am I capable......yes.

Would I take a 40 yard shot.......probably not.

A lot can happen on a 40 yard shot so conditions need to be absolutely perfect. I killed a mule deer at 43 yards with a perfect double lung shot from the ground but open conditions dictated long shots.On whitetail in thicker cover I prefer less than 30 yards and more isn't always even possible. I like to get them close since that's what bowhunting is all about. If I want to take them long range I will stick to rifle hunting.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:40 am

If I felt good about it all day long. I 12 ringed a turkey a few years back at 57 yards. I practice at long range. But If I'm not calmed down and laser focused I'd prefer closer
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:45 am

I've shot and killed at 45ish on a field. Like most I'd prefer 30 yards and under because of a lot of things mentioned above. There are a lot of variables in the woods with wild animals.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 am

Only on follow up shots, I've always felt like a better opportunity would come along.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 am

Would I? Yes, if I had to/felt like it would be my best opportunity. My biggest buck I shot at 39 and conditions were good to do it. I've also passed on closer shots because of the situation. I think in the "right" scenario I would feel very comfortable out to 50 but definitely not further than that. If I had it my way I would shoot every deer right in tight because thats the fun of bowhunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”