What Grinds my Gears!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

What Grinds my Gears!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick and tired of these infomercials trying to prey on the newcomers of the sport with all this gadgetry? I keeping waiting to see the Shamwow guy selling a grunt tube and rattle bag. Millions of serious deer hunters have already ordered better act fast supplies are limited! But wait there's more if u order now I will throw in a magic 8 ball so u no if it's a good day to hunt separate shipping of course. But wait there's more because I'm so sure this is gonna work for u and kill the biggest buck of your life I'm gonna give u a free copy of my book How to make millions in Media Marketing. Call now

Go head caller: Boogie my co worker says he kills monsters with this system every year. Your co worker is full of it and goes on canned hunts behind tall fences. Next caller...Boogie I see big bucks fighting all the time. Great, shoot one of them. Next caller: Boogie but they have video footage of it really working. Do you believe they filmed Apollo 13 in outer space! Finall caller. Boogie have u ever tried this before? Well unfortunately I was snookered when I first started out. One occasion I had limited success. Early morning I crashed the horns. Soon I caught movement coming over neighbors fence I caught a flash of orange and soon had a 40 year old hunter at 30 yards in my #1 shot lane. It was early season so I held out for something better.

Sorry always wanted to do that!

This will be my final post I sorry if I got a little carried away on here. I'm certainly not a buck Messiah or anything like that. I am just a whitetail nut who is stuck on a 14 hour night shift. Never joined a site b4 my wife talked me into getting on one I guess so I would shut up and let her sleep. I apologize to Dan and the rest of u guys if I crossed the line. On Dans profile of his first big buck where he throws the Rock is what I love about hunting. Some hunters would have never thought, others say they would never do that, some are more passive. As for me I'm a rock chunking SOB! Dan as a parting gift maybe you can message me one of those childhood wine recipes!

Boogieman. -out-

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Re: What Grinds my Gears!

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:42 pm

You just have to let those people figure it out for themselves, you can't force knowledge onto people, trust me I have tried. I have found that when the time is right for people to move on from this stuff they start searching for the answers and end up here, other places or end up finally talking to people that know better and get serious about it. Until then the people selling some of this junk will keep pushing it as long as there are $$ to be made. Just don't worry about it, nothing you can do any way.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Headgear covered it.

Becoming a better hunter is about knowledge, skill, luck, location and effort....not XYZ equipment.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Yup - you need to sit in the right spot if you want a good buck.

Calling will work a few days each year - gotta do it right tho.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Sad that most hunters up and coming watch and read all the stuff they can. Most of the information that is shared isn't true hunting. I don't watch it tho so it doesn't really phase me too much. I figure that if a person has a true passion for it after they try a few seasons hunting the way they see these celeb hunters hunting and they don't have success they will dig deeper. Often it doesn't take too long to realize that method of hunting won't work on pressured land or this grunt tube works no better than the other one.

Good thing is there are a lot more beast getting out there and that can really reach out to the guys that want to learn how to actually hunt. Through magazine articles like the many dan has done, all the different podcast with beast members and Andy May is doing some great stuff over on the wired to hunt site. Much better information starting to get out there for the guys who want to take it to the next level.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 pm

We have all done it at some point. Its all part of the journey. Guys are doing it, enjoying themselves and having fun. For me, there are a lot more things in life that grind my gears that have far more importance than what guys do in regards to hunting.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Well, I look at it as a process like any other. Human nature is to look for short cuts right out of the gate. So we all start our search for answers where it seems "easiest". In hunting that doesn't get you very far though.

I used to blame the "hunting industry" too. But they wouldn't exist if there were not 10 million suckers forking over money to them. We hate it when other people play the victim card right? Well maybe we shouldn't either.

There are a thousand gimmicks getting peddled because hunters let it happen. Newer hunters may or may not know better but more experienced hunters sure could do a lot better job of spreading the word. Lets police ourselves a little better. I know what you are feeling though. I hate fanboys too :lol:

Boogieman1 wrote:Never joined a site b4 my wife talked me into getting on one I guess so I would shut up and let her sleep.

That is funny! Hopefully you didn't mean you are leaving the hunting beast because of all this....can't find a spot more insulated from most of that than here.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 am

Na ain't going nowhere I'm a whitetail junkie where else can I get my fix! Just figure I hide in the weeds and lurk in the shadows for awhile.
-John Wayne-
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Na ain't going nowhere I'm a whitetail junkie where else can I get my fix! Just figure I hide in the weeds and lurk in the shadows for awhile.

No need to hide... This is the same reason most of us are on this forum, to escape the pixie dust and talk real hunting.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 am

thwack16 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Na ain't going nowhere I'm a whitetail junkie where else can I get my fix! Just figure I hide in the weeds and lurk in the shadows for awhile.

No need to hide... This is the same reason most of us are on this forum, to escape the pixie dust and talk real hunting.

Amen
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 am

thwack16 wrote:No need to hide... This is the same reason most of us are on this forum, to escape the pixie dust and talk real hunting.

Touché! Nicely played
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 am

Way more important stuff to worry about than what others will fall for. Some will get it someday, some won't. Doesn't matter a lick to me. I don't have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the kind of folks who watch a tv show and can't put a little critical thought into what's going on and how it may relate to their situation. There is a reason advertising is big business, not just in hunting. It works...if you let it work on you. Guessing most guys on here buy stuff after a fair bit of research and maybe even a post on here to check things out, not on a whim based on a ad on tv or a poster at the store. Not sure that is the norm though.

That being said, I've had pretty good luck calling, including some mature deer. Don't want to hijack the thread necessarily, but sometimes I think calling gets a little bit of a bad wrap around here. As was mentioned, gotta do it smart, but it's helped me seal the deal more than once and get close many times. Right off the bat I can think of three good bucks on my wall and three other beasts that I called in. Of the three I didn't kill, one miss cause of poor distance judgement, one a terribly time wind swirl as I was drawing at 30 yards as a 140+ clean 8 that swam across a river to my grunt/rattle sequence when I saw him cruising, and on big 9 I heard get up in a cedar swamp and rub a tree and start heading away and soft grunted him into 15 yards but too thick and had new hip waders on that I'm pretty sure the sun was beating on and probably bright as heck. That being said, a free set of sheds and a $15 grunt tube is what I carry!

For me, I have to know there is no shot he's coming without doing it if I see a big one, and that his best/only path has the wind in my favor. I don't blind call much anymore other than in very specific sets where I know the wind is good for me and I'll get a shot before he gets downwind, which was the case for one of my kills.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:16 am

thwack16 wrote:

I don't want the Boogieman to hide by me! :o
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 am

[/quote]
I don't want the Boogieman to hide by me! :o[/quote]

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
-John Wayne-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 am

I ain't scared a no boogieman!!!! ;) :lol: Stick around and share bud!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”