What Do You Consider Good Growth?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

What Do You Consider Good Growth?

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:13 am

Okay so it is getting to that time of year where we are all not only getting the itch to go out and stalk a monster buck, but its time to start picking our spots to start focusing our efforts.

So while flipping through hundreds of pictures of does fawns and bucks, I was thinking to myself. What type of growth at different stages of the spring, summer, and early fall are you guys focusing on? How do you know if a buck you get on camera is going to be worthy of putting him on your hit list?

Right now I have a few deer that are showing a little bot of growth. A lot are just showing a split, but most are primarily "spikes" right now.

Share your thoughts and experiences! What type of growth gets you excited this time of year?!

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: What Do You Consider Good Growth?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:41 am

I think it's still kind of early to start predicting bucks at this point. I usually don't even start thinking about it until July.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 am

For me in June it is all about the size of the bases, then abnormal growth and also growth rate compared to other pics on that property.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:17 am

Had one almost cross the road in front of me. The end of May. He was almost as wide as his ears. Lot's of mass. With quite a few bulbous points started. But he's an exception.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:05 am

At this time of year I am looking to see if it is a mature deer. They don't all grow at the same pace so if you are picking based on score the info you gather now will need to be updated later in the summer.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:36 am

Motivated wrote:For me in June it is all about the size of the bases, then abnormal growth and also growth rate compared to other pics on that property.

Well said. This is exactly what I look for at this stage as well.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:45 am

I was just looking at old pics wondering too. Looks like first week of July they have full width and frame. After that the tines just grow straight up.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't worry about judging antler growth til mid July or later by then they should have some what of a main frame but I keep in mind that they still got growing to do. My main goal at that time is not rack size but track size for shooting preference!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:21 pm

honestly, by the time a buck is forking his G2s that shows a decent estimate of the size and shape of his frame. Sure I won't know tine or beam length yet but I can more easily tell apart individual bucks at that point.

That varies a bit every year around here and I am certain it is tied to time of spring greenup. The last two springs have had early greenup and I have seen bucks forking thier G2s in late May. This year I have a camera pic of a buck forking his G2s the first week of may which is probably an outlier. Looking back to 2013 and 2014, late spring greenups, most bucks were forking their G2s in mid June so 2-3 weeks behind this years average. I am talking 3 year old or older bucks, younger bucks start off much slower.

I do think that translates into extra inches of antler on these good years...of course if we don't start getting some rain around here everything is going to die from EHD and it won't matter :cry:

I am always paying attention to a buck's body size and shape even without antlers, usually can tell a mature buck year round. Sightings of those are too rare to ignore any.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 am

Motivated wrote:For me in June it is all about the size of the bases, then abnormal growth and also growth rate compared to other pics on that property.

Definitely agree, great post
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 am

The biggest thing for me is individual mature bucks and if they are still alive. Most get killed off, so growth doesn't equate to much for me. I also think it's too early to tell much right now. Another month should tell the growth tale.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
scoot12

Unread postby scoot12 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Image i just got this pic and consider this pretty good growth for beg of June. Is this about what you guys like to see this time of the year?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”