Early season food source tactic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Early season food source tactic

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 am

Most are aware throughout summer and early season bucks bed right on top of the food source a lot of the time. To a person new to the sport they watch the deer feeding all summer right b4 dark licking there chops waiting for opening day. When it gets here there left scratching there head wondering what happened. That buck is beaded right on the field edge in a brushy finger or any point along the field only moving to the spot he has been watching b4 dark. What I do to get this buck is I train him. All summer a hour b4 dark I slowly drive my atv through the far end of what he can see, don't stop and look 4 him or slow down pay no attention. Just go to the end turn around and come back. When it's time to hunt I do the same thing except this time my wife is driving I slide off back and climb up back side of tree and she finishes the reg route. Often she won't be out of site b4 he rises and starts his evening. If u can train a bear to ride a bike u can train a deer!!!!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Early season food source tactic

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 am

I like it. I've heard about other hunters using tractors and farm equipment to hunt from or use as a screen to access kill trees. Have any success stories?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

Only have one small farm I use that tactic on. By success it depends on what your opinion of success is. Out of 12 years killed 2 opening day bucks there. Prob had another 5 or 6 it worked like a charm on they just were not the buck I wanted. Then 2 or 3 times got busted!!! Caused all times by younger deer heading out 1st feeding out eventually getting far enough down to hit my scent b4 the mature buck made it. But that's hunting nothing is fool proof or it wouldn't be fun
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

Only have one small farm I use that tactic on. By success it depends on what your opinion of success is. Out of 12 years killed 2 opening day bucks there. Prob had another 5 or 6 it worked like a charm on they just were not the buck I wanted. Then 2 or 3 times got busted!!! Caused all times by younger deer heading out 1st feeding out eventually getting far enough down to hit my scent b4 the mature buck made it. But that's hunting nothing is fool proof or it wouldn't be fun
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”