thermal wind tunnel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: thermal wind tunnel

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 am

Kokes wrote:Dan / Mario I can't find the cat pants for order on the HB store can you guys let me know when you get more stock Oh great vid by the way as well ;)

I was thinking the same thing! Wife wouldn't let me go out in public with those things on. Chick magnet level would be off the charts. :naughty:

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 am

When I first saw the video last night I thought you dug out your parachute pants from the 80s.

Nice animation.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 am

Great stuff.

The wind blew
And the pants flew
I was blinded
And couldn't see for a minute or two. :dance:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buck_shooter

Unread postby Buck_shooter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:51 am

This will be my first year trying to figure out the wind tunnel in my areas but I've done a little research on them and have an unanswered question. I'm not really sure how to word this without a diagram but I was under the impression that for the wind tunnel to occur the leeward side of the hill had to drop into a valley with another hillside opposite of it. So if you were facing the same direction the wind was blowing and walked over a ridge to the leeward side the wind would blow past you, hit the opposite hillside your facing then curl back around to be coming at your front too. Does this wind tunnel still happen if there's no hillside opposite? Say for instance you come over the ridge with the wind and it just drops down onto a large plateau instead of a valley with another hillside opposite of it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 am

Buck_shooter wrote:This will be my first year trying to figure out the wind tunnel in my areas but I've done a little research on them and have an unanswered question. I'm not really sure how to word this without a diagram but I was under the impression that for the wind tunnel to occur the leeward side of the hill had to drop into a valley with another hillside opposite of it. So if you were facing the same direction the wind was blowing and walked over a ridge to the leeward side the wind would blow past you, hit the opposite hillside your facing then curl back around to be coming at your front too. Does this wind tunnel still happen if there's no hillside opposite? Say for instance you come over the ridge with the wind and it just drops down onto a large plateau instead of a valley with another hillside opposite of it.

You do not need an opposing hill... Thermal rise is always there when the sun warms the valley. Leeward wind will cause a vacuum pulling the thermal up the hill and where they collide is where the tunnel is. ItS A LOT MORE VARIBLE ON ROUNDED HILLS THOUGH.
Buck_shooter

Unread postby Buck_shooter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 am

dan wrote:You do not need an opposing hill... Thermal rise is always there when the sun warms the valley. Leeward wind will cause a vacuum pulling the thermal up the hill and where they collide is where the tunnel is. ItS A LOT MORE VARIBLE ON ROUNDED HILLS THOUGH.

Good to know, thank you. I haven't ordered the dvds yet so I apologise if I'm asking questions that the answers are there. Will anything change the elevation that the wind tunnel is located on a particular hillside? Like a sunny warm day causing a stronger thermal so the wind tunnel shifts up hill as opposed to a cloudy, cooler day where the thermal might not push up the hill as strong.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 am

Buck_shooter wrote:
dan wrote:You do not need an opposing hill... Thermal rise is always there when the sun warms the valley. Leeward wind will cause a vacuum pulling the thermal up the hill and where they collide is where the tunnel is. ItS A LOT MORE VARIBLE ON ROUNDED HILLS THOUGH.

Good to know, thank you. I haven't ordered the dvds yet so I apologise if I'm asking questions that the answers are there. Will anything change the elevation that the wind tunnel is located on a particular hillside? Like a sunny warm day causing a stronger thermal so the wind tunnel shifts up hill as opposed to a cloudy, cooler day where the thermal might not push up the hill as strong.

Steep hills with a military crest will have the military crest in the same spot every day. Rounded hills it will vary based on wind speed, heat, angle of the wind, etc. The new hill bedding DVD that should release in our on-line store this weekend covers this stuff well...
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:16 am

Great explanation and animation... cat camo, lol :lol:
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:05 am

Excellent video, and o yea you definitely need to kill a buck in those pants lol :lol:
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:34 pm

That explanation and animation were the cat's pajamas!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”