The struggle with trail cams

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

The struggle with trail cams

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 am

So, I am scouting out a large piece of public ground a few hours from where I live. Due to the distance and my schedule, I can't visit very often but will be able to scout at least 1x or 2x this summer. I plan to target a few key areas I have identified as potential hot spots due to terrain etc. Having said that, this is a very large piece of public and I feel the need to hang a number of cameras to further gather info on the deer in the area, travel patterns, potential target bucks etc. I know it's risky hanging cameras on public and am fully aware some might get stolen. I hope to avoid this by using my climbing sticks to get the 15+ feet up in the tree and then take the sticks off.

So, my issue is, I am pretty frugal and do not want to drop all this money in cams. :shock: However, with this being a new property to me and the sheer size, I feel like I need 4 cameras at least to do a good job pinpointing the deer and getting a handle on where to set up.

However, that would mean like 6 cams in as I also want to have 2 cameras at spots close to my house. Not sure the wife :naughty: will love how much money I'm spending!

It's hard though b/c cams are not cheap and even for used stuff it's like $50 a cam whereas a new one is $60-70

Bucky

Re: The struggle with trail cams

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:15 am

What does it cost you to drive to said property? Might be worth the up front investment even with the risk of theft. Depends or your goal.... any deer vs finding one worth the effort.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 am

Monitor the goodwill online auction site... They are always on there cheap. I bought a set of 8 new in box primos cams on there last year for I believe 110 bucks.

Stay thirsty my friends!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 am

comeback_kid wrote:So, I am scouting out a large piece of public ground a few hours from where I live. Due to the distance and my schedule, I can't visit very often but will be able to scout at least 1x or 2x this summer. I plan to target a few key areas I have identified as potential hot spots due to terrain etc. Having said that, this is a very large piece of public and I feel the need to hang a number of cameras to further gather info on the deer in the area, travel patterns, potential target bucks etc. I know it's risky hanging cameras on public and am fully aware some might get stolen. I hope to avoid this by using my climbing sticks to get the 15+ feet up in the tree and then take the sticks off.

So, my issue is, I am pretty frugal and do not want to drop all this money in cams. :shock: However, with this being a new property to me and the sheer size, I feel like I need 4 cameras at least to do a good job pinpointing the deer and getting a handle on where to set up.

However, that would mean like 6 cams in as I also want to have 2 cameras at spots close to my house. Not sure the wife :naughty: will love how much money I'm spending!

It's hard though b/c cams are not cheap and even for used stuff it's like $50 a cam whereas a new one is $60-70

I am in the same position as you but its the chance we have to take. The intel is worth it for the future and its a game changer also it is worth us knowing if we are reading what were seeing out there correctly while scouting. For the summer you do want to let them sit but I understand your frustration w placement... maybe consider a mineral site if its legal? Im testing water softener pellets for quicker dissolving, not checking the cam for awhile but just dumping water on it the first time I could see it dissolve fast.

Youre going to want to spend what you just stated. Iv researched as well but you dont want a cheap one w/o date or time, also want everything to go smooth out there, that far from home. Im going w Moultrie A-whatever editions for public, I really like Browning for use on private. Also refurbs of better cams seem to get ok reviews for the price your talking about. If youre really really worried get a micro and camo one, maybe consider "low glow" but then youre losing trigger distance...

Ebay has deals all the time but this is beast member Florida's deals website: http://www.huntinggeardeals.com/
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am

www.camofire.com has great deals on game cams & often. They push a lot of Stealth Cam with batteries and SD cards for like $120 (2 cams, 16 batteries & 2 SD cards.) I look at that site twice a day for deals. I love my stealth cams. also I put my cams up 10'. I cut wedges that I take to the woods to get the angle of the camera correct. It is way easier than making twig cribbing to angle the camera when you are 10' up! Good Luck Scouting!
Extreme Effort Only
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:10 am

A couple of additional thoughts since you're going to so much effort and expense - I use Python locks on mine and have never had one stolen. Now that's another $10-20 a pop depending on sale prices but may be worth it considering...... I agree you should still hang them high on public.

Second, you may know this already but it's hard to hunt a spot you are checking camera cards from. Basically your first time in is your best chance, and each time thereafter there's a better chance the targets have you figured out. So if you are planning to hang cameras at your stand sites, then you might be better off not checking the cards until you go in and hunt that tree, use the camera intel for next year and just take your chances this year.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 am

Cameras are going to be high priced this time of year. I find better deals right after deer season ends. One thing I've done aside from hanging them high is use tie wire to strap them to the tree. It blends in well and if you double it up and twist it tight to the tree with linemans pliers no one is getting it off without a tool to cut it. The tie wire I use is the same stuff you tie rebar together with when pouring concrete. I put a stick behind the camera to angle it down. I also try to put them in places where no one else will likely be. If a bunch of people are walking by it, it's probably no good for deer pictures anyway.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:45 am

I run about 12 cams on public year round. I was in the same boat as you as far as not having enough cams last year. I just started to buy them one at a time when they are on sale. You will find the best deals at the end of the season and spring time when all the company's are coming out with there new years cameras. Now I have a time with remembering where I have cameras and finding time to put more up. I have about 4 or 5 brand new cameras to put up just not sure where I want to put them. And I'm constantly looking for deals for AA batteries. I hang all mine about 2 sticks high and use a eye lag bolt and a 1/4 20 eye bolt with a 3/8 bolt to hold them together. This allows you to screw the 1/4 20 into the camera, the lag into the tree then adjust the angle how ever you want. I also went one step further and starting camoing all my cameras Image
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am

I know we shouldn't put cameras near bedding but I've found if you find bedding and put cameras near there you get s really good look at the bucks in the area and its where no one would go walk or find so your chances of having them stolen are very low IMO. I have 2 cameras out few hours away from home. They've been there for 6 months. So obviously I just try and not go back for a very long time. Seeing what i see on camera gives me a huge confidence boost. Also over such a long time period you can get a great pattern on the deer.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 am

Also if you're afraid of having them stolen, especially in summer is it really worth it to hunt there with all that pressure? I see your from PA so I can totally relate haha but if you can get back 1/2 or more I think your find to leave them on the ground. Especially in summer. Any gun season starting in October is when I'd start to think about elevation them.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:56 pm

IMO buying $50 cameras will bring more disappointment than satisfaction. If you want a reasonably reliable camera that will last at least a couple seasons gotta spend $100+

The first question you must ask yourself is what is your goal with the cams. If it is inventory, that's easiest to do with cameras on food sources or mineral if its legal. Maybe water. Whatever congregates the deer the most in your area. You don't need to carpet an area with cameras to inventory deer.

If you want to "pattern" the deer, first step is to scout your tail off and just understand how the deer are moving. Where is likely bedding and various food sources, what direction is the buck sign pointing. Don't need cameras for that.

If you want to really dig into the details of how deer move in specific places, that is where cameras shine. But I firmly believe they need time to work their magic showing what is happening in the area. Let them soak for a month or more. The more you check them the less you will get from them. Set realistic expectations. After a few years of doing it, half my cameras set for this are good and tell me a lot about movement, half don't pan out.

Whatever you do just try to avoid the trap of hunting behind the deer. Meaning take all the trail camera advice you hear from guys on big exclusive access hunting estates and throw it in the trash. Trail cameras tell you what a buck was doing yesterday or last week or last month....patterns change fast. Particularly on property with other hunters.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Jhand wrote: And I'm constantly looking for deals for AA batteries.

I've been wondering where the guys who run multiple cams buy batteries. I'm looking for lithiums.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm

I have 14 cams and am looking to buy more. I keep them out about year around just because it's a hobby. I do not rely on them for scouting for the most part. I left 3 hanging from nov to April in the mtn and currently have 3 hanging that will hang from May till October. Got them
Suckers bolted to trees so bears can't ramshack them. They help for future reference but when u get the info it is old news remember that. You want to kill the deer you better scout.

I to hang my cams high like jhand but not because of thieves. My purpose is the stupid bears.

For batteries I buy my energizer ultimate lithiums on eBay. If can get them in the big lots like 100 or more for about 1$-1.20$ apiece thats about as cheap as you will get them. Free shipping of course.

Not sure what everyone prefers on cams but I've been from homebrews to reconyx and now browning. I did some testing between reconyx and Brownings and Brownings did well enough for me that I sold all reconyx and went browning. Bears beating the snot out of th cams helped that decision to mind that. I will say if uournpaying 50-60$ firna camera you better expect that kind of performance

I currently have 5 different browning scattered around testing them from a 2015 spec ops to a 2017 spec ops extreme and 2016 dark ops Elite hd. Here a couple links from past deer season and this past spring and 1 link from just last week for an idea of performance among cams.

This is at a salt block spot here just over hill from my dairy barn that I yest cams at. I never hunt it just play around with cameras here cause it's easy to get too. This is the new spec ops extreme. So far best camera I've had browning wise. Good video and audio is great. Mind you deer isn't in the frame much but turn up the volume.

https://youtu.be/a9CvQgA5Ws0

Here is browning dark ops elite hd
https://youtu.be/0Qd-DcNrGo8

Browning spec ops platinum from the fall
https://youtu.be/8f_m0axuUIM

Here is a platinum night video
https://youtu.be/hli26oWmvEk

Now a reconyx xr6 video
https://youtu.be/dE43enw_2No

2015 spec ops from this spring
https://youtu.be/4rD_R5Lmt6s

The platinum isn't a great camera don't think that it is cause I have a few of them Videos there just happen md to have some cool vids on it at the time. It will not be with me much longer. Obviously though you can tell the difference in video and price range of cams. Reconyx is bar none the best for sound but let me post you this link. I argued with reconyx over this 1. They told me many times that pop an animal Couldn't hear. Watch that buck. He heard it and they said was mere coincidence that he looked up when the camera made that pop
https://youtu.be/tqwh2_beCtg
Last edited by Blinginpse on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 am

Bucky wrote:What does it cost you to drive to said property? Might be worth the up front investment even with the risk of theft. Depends or your goal.... any deer vs finding one worth the effort.

Pretty significant in cost, particularly in my time as it's a very long drive.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 am

ODH wrote:A couple of additional thoughts since you're going to so much effort and expense - I use Python locks on mine and have never had one stolen. Now that's another $10-20 a pop depending on sale prices but may be worth it considering...... I agree you should still hang them high on public.

Second, you may know this already but it's hard to hunt a spot you are checking camera cards from. Basically your first time in is your best chance, and each time thereafter there's a better chance the targets have you figured out. So if you are planning to hang cameras at your stand sites, then you might be better off not checking the cards until you go in and hunt that tree, use the camera intel for next year and just take your chances this year.

I like my Python Locks as well. The cable cover stays very pliable even in very cold temps. the problem I have is the locking mech sticks. I use veg oil on them every time I go change the card (Just a dab) but it gets annoying when you are reaching over your head trying to unlock them. Do you have that problem at all?

Also, great point with the checking your cards. I noticed a pretty good drop off in pics over the past few weeks of card pulls. I will be letting those cameras soak until I hunt those spots now.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”