Work • Life • Hunt | The Balance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Work • Life • Hunt | The Balance

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 am

Balancing our need to be outdoors and our yearn for family and the responsibilities that come with it, like working for a paycheck, maintenance around the home, and spending time you can't get back with your loved ones, it's a challenge we choose to face because we need both halves in our lives. Sometimes it's nice to hear how others face their day to day.

Being an outdoorsman is a condition of my lifestyle. As a husband and father, a career man and homeowner, balancing my time has been a learning experience, but I love to learn, I love my family, and I love this lifestyle. From lessons learned to mistakes along the way, here's a topic I'm certain everyone can find relevance to. I recently sat down with the Where to Hunt podcast to record our conversation on this very topic.

Click for web link: http://niceguynetwork.com/wheretohunt/

Click for iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/whe ... d707560744

Click for Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/Wheretohunt/?ref=br_rs

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Work • Life • Hunt | The Balance

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:35 am

Great listen! That really channeled alot of feelings and issues iv dealt w in the past and of late... I really enjoyed the story about pregnant wife getting her first deer, great story. OFP... man I miss that!
Thanks for sharing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 am

:clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you for your post! Trying to get serious about big buck hunting the last few years has been a struggle sometimes with my fiance and 4 year old boy and everything else. It really is something you need to balance.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Great Listen! I am older than many guys here, so my kids are basically out of the house already. Which helps for time allocation. And my wife past time hobby (shopping), keeps her happy when I'm hunting. As far as work...I work around my hunting!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:35 am

It can certainly be a challenge, trying to manage time in the woods pursuing what we love to do and keeping our focus on what is really the most important thing which is our families. One thing I found is it's important to plan ahead, mark the calendar and plan my excursions ahead of time. Plan things out so your significant other knows ahead of time that your going to busy on these days. Your going to have to adjust how you do things. During gun season I used to take a week vacation and go deer hunting everyday , now i split it up a bit - spread it out more over the season.

One thing that's import is that your wife or girlfriend is busy doing something that she enjoys too. I find if my wife is stuck at home doing chores taking care of our daughter then she isn't going to be thrilled, while I'm enjoying myself. It's all about balance you have to make sure that your family is happy - take your kids out so your wife can have some down time alone doing whatever she wants too. Give her some ca$h and tell her to go out with her girlfriend for dinner on you. Fold that load of laundry while you're watching the ball game. Every little thing you do for your family goes a long way towards making your time for yourself more enjoyable.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 am

Nice work on this! Thanks. I can definitely relate. I have a 2 yo boy and an almost 1 yr old girl who keep my wife and I very busy! Along with a house and a job, it can be difficult to find time to hunt as much as we once did. I am like everyone else on here who used to hunt everyday when they were growing up and I can say that with the family and added responsibilities, I have become more focused on hunting smarter and not harder. I scout more now, I use trail cams differently, and I really pic and choose the days I go out based on past knowledge, weather etc. I try to give myself the best change of getting in front of a mature deer on a limited schedule.

I can't believe how quickly time goes by. It seems like just yesterday that my 2 yo was born, so I really cherish the time spent with my kids as I know they grow up too fast. Down the road they may even enjoy the outdoors as much as I do which will be fun.

Sure, I'll get back to hunting like a mad man in my later yrs, but for now I am perfectly happy finding that balance between family life and time in the stand.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:42 am

Well said Jman and good podcast Sam. As a father of 3. A 7 year old boy, 6 year old girl, and now a newborn boy. I will let you know what it's like to balance that once hunting season comes. My wife knows once hunting season comes, most things are put on hold. That's just the way it is in our family. She grew up in a hunting family. So she's use to this life. My time in the woods will slow down a little bit. But this will give me me a chance to do things a little different. I have a area that I am confident in stacking a bedding area. Things like that are in my mind. Try some things I have never done before. As a father and a family man. I appreciate and soak in anytime I get out. The things we naturally take for granted when we get to do it all the time.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 am

I really enjoy reading the responses here. Hearing other people's stories and how they relate is helpful.

The reality comes to life sometimes where I find myself consumed in thoughts revolving around hunting, or fishing, and then I look back and think, "Wow, did I just waste time thinking so heavily on something that means so much to me, but so little when compared to the pure joy I could have had laying on the floor playing with my tiny daughter"? It's important to realize theirs truth to the statement that you can't get back the days of your child's youth, but hunting and fishing will always be there. It's not so much a temporary hold, so much as it is a temporary slow-down.

I'm curious how some manage work hours with treestand hours? Especially later in fall when the light of day is dwindled down to early evenings...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 am

Sam Ubl wrote:I really enjoy reading the responses here. Hearing other people's stories and how they relate is helpful.

The reality comes to life sometimes where I find myself consumed in thoughts revolving around hunting, or fishing, and then I look back and think, "Wow, did I just waste time thinking so heavily on something that means so much to me, but so little when compared to the pure joy I could have had laying on the floor playing with my tiny daughter"? It's important to realize theirs truth to the statement that you can't get back the days of your child's youth, but hunting and fishing will always be there. It's not so much a temporary hold, so much as it is a temporary slow-down.

I'm curious how some manage work hours with treestand hours? Especially later in fall when the light of day is dwindled down to early evenings...

Very well said! In regards to work hours and treestand hours, I take a select few days off (usually between Oct 25th and Nov 15th). With the family, it doesn't mean I'm hunting all day, but I am in the stand for a good portion of it. On those other days where I am at work, I may go into work early and leave early to try and get a night hunt it. I am grateful for this flexibility, bc I know not everyone can do this. I can't do this everyday, but if I'm caught up and its ok with my supervisor, I go for it. I also schedule a few "dr appts" during the fall. Other than that, I'll try and get a sit or 2 in during the weekend if my schedule allows.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I have no idea how to balance. I'm an all in type of guy. I want to be the best I can possibly be, and am hard on myself when I'm not. So this is a very real exciting new challenge for me as I am a new father.

My wife gave birth to twin girls last November. I have had only two trips to spring scout this year. I've only been fishing twice. I feel like I am either at work or helping her manage with the girls. I'm trying to make as many sacrifices as I can now. Hopefully, it will ease up as the girls get close to the 1 year mark and I will have time to hunt.

I think Being deer hunters gives us more solid ground to argue with. We aren't just... (insert any other activity here) We are providing venison for our families. My wife enjoys deer meat and she understands how important it is to me. I am already talking to her about deer season. I'm also trying to make arrangements with my parents to babysit the weekends so I can hunt.

My wife and I settled on me not spending night away from home this season. I'm also going to have to limit my time.
My work hours are from 6a-2:30p, my wife and girls are used to me being home and helping in the afternoons. I can take half days and hunt mornings which is another option. If I make a kill I can extend it into a full day too. So I'm pretty flexible with work.

I've only got 18 years with my girls before they move out, move on, and I'm out of my window for spending quality time with them. I don't want my wife or my girls to ever feel like they are 2nd place to deer hunting.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm

In CT our bow season runs from mid Sept to mid Nov. so I usually just hunt on Saturdays, but pick the Saturdays I'm going to hunt carefully, I'll pass on a Saturday if conditions are marginal and wait for ideal conditions-when your time is limited it's quality not quantity that matters. I save vacation time for gun season, I'll stagger my days so I hunt no more than two days in a row. So this year i'll hunt Fri, Sat, Sunday is family day, then go to work Mon, Tue, hunt Wednesday before Thanksgiving, hunt Friday & Sat after Thanksgiving. I stack my days so I'm always able to go out and look for a deer the next day if i shoot one late the afternoon before. It took me a few years to figure out the best schedule but this works out well.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Balance is the key...good post. My kids are starting to leave the nest, but they still need dad around so it can be tough. I tend to be selfish w/my time sometimes, I have to watch myself. Hunting and money are important, but I cant buy back lost time w/family.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 pm

I have no idea how to balance. I'm an all in type of guy. I want to be the best I can possibly be, and am hard on myself when I'm not. So this is a very real exciting new challenge for me as I am a new father.

My wife gave birth to twin girls last November. I have had only two trips to spring scout this year. I've only been fishing twice. I feel like I am either at work or helping her manage with the girls. I'm trying to make as many sacrifices as I can now. Hopefully, it will ease up as the girls get close to the 1 year mark and I will have time to hunt.

I think Being deer hunters gives us more solid ground to argue with. We aren't just... (insert any other activity here) We are providing venison for our families. My wife enjoys deer meat and she understands how important it is to me. I am already talking to her about deer season. I'm also trying to make arrangements with my parents to babysit the weekends so I can hunt.

My wife and I settled on me not spending night away from home this season. I'm also going to have to limit my time.
My work hours are from 6a-2:30p, my wife and girls are used to me being home and helping in the afternoons. I can take half days and hunt mornings which is another option. If I make a kill I can extend it into a full day too. So I'm pretty flexible with work.

I've only got 18 years with my girls before they move out, move on, and I'm out of my window for spending quality time with them. I don't want my wife or my girls to ever feel like they are 2nd place to deer hunting.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”