LW/Shoulder Problems

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

LW/Shoulder Problems

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Not sure where to post this, but since it is completely deer hunting related I guessed this was appropriate. I haven't posted on here much, and a major reason is my torn labrum. Last fall, I developed excruciating pain in my right shoulder. I figured it was because Im getting older, but after months of pain I got it checked out. Im trying to avoid surgery at all costs right now, but my bow days are probably over as of today (being realistic for the year anyways). Have any of you ever had surgery/issues/pain from using hang/hunt setups like LW? All I can think is this is from tightening straps hanging from trees over the years of this type of setup. Suggestions?

Dewey

Re: LW/Shoulder Problems

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Do you use a linesman belt when setting up? I find it makes the whole process of hanging sticks and stand so much easier. Just lean back and use both free hands to do the work with no excess straining.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Yes, I am always strapped in. I started using a LW strap 2 years ago and really like that compared to traditional belts.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm

I can't imagine a seasonal thing like setting up stands in the fall would cause a serious long term injury like that. Even if it was many years of it, I might even say the activity would have been great exercise and it might have kept your shoulders in better shape over the years. Was there any pre-existing injury or any other activities that could be related to the problem?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:48 pm

I have never had any issues. Using a linemens belt you have very little stress on your shoulder.

I think shooting a bow puts alot more stress on your shoulder than hanging a stand. Why would you think your problems are from hanging your stand?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 pm

tgreeno wrote:I have never had any issues. Using a linemens belt you have very little stress on your shoulder.

I think shooting a bow puts alot more stress on your shoulder than hanging a stand. Why would you think your problems are from hanging your stand?

I agree shooting bow a lot can really tear up your shoulder over the years. I was really doing some damage to mine about 5 years ago so I cut way back with my shooting. Now a few very focussed shots each time and I'm good. No more 80-100 arrows per session like I did.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Dewey wrote:No more 80-100 arrows per session like I did.

That, and personally I've dropped my poundage down into the 50's. Makes shooting much more enjoyable and easier on the body.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Ack wrote:

That, and personally I've dropped my poundage down into the 50's. Makes shooting much more enjoyable and easier on the body.

Me too. I shot 70 lbs much of my life but been at 58 lbs for 5 years now. Arrow still zips right thru them just as fast. ;)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Dewey wrote:
Ack wrote:

Me too. I shot 70 lbs much of my life but been at 58 lbs for 5 years now. Arrow still zips right thru them just as fast. ;)

I shoot 58 lbs now but I shot 53 lbs for quite a few years. Relatively slow bow with 26.5" draw and I've never had an arrow not pass through unless I hit the off shoulder.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:08 am

PM on its way.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 am

I tore my left shoulder labrum. It was a burden on my life for a while. I eventually, after about 10 years of limping by had it surgically repaired. It took me two years to get it back up to maybe 85% after surgery. I'd say it was 60% before surgery, but with frequent pain and inflammation. It was below 60% for the first 10 months after surgery. I rarely ever remember that I had a " bad shoulder" anymore. I can't shoot marathon sessions with the bow. I shoot 60# and don't feel slighted. Archery season is tough on the shoulder, I highly recommend year round exercise to strengthen that shoulder if you don't want surgery. Just know when to quit inflammation was often the root cause of my pain. If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 am

6-7 years ago I messed up my shoulder shooting too much poundage. I rehabbed myself and dropped my poundage down to 58. I shoot no more than 12 arrows per practice session, 4-5 times a week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:54 am

tgreeno wrote:I think shooting a bow puts alot more stress on your shoulder than hanging a stand. Why would you think your problems are from hanging your stand?

Yes this is much more likely to cause problems than setting up a stand.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 am

from the years of lifting heavy I have less and less mobility in my right shoulder. it's either rotator cuff issue, a tear or what they call boxers shoulder. I have been dealing with it for close to 8 months now and it still hurts when I sleep the most. if I do tons of stretches on it it relieves the pain a lot. they say a cortozone shot can stop the inflammation and it can heal after that.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:38 am

I played football for 15+ years, including a labral tear that I had surgery on. The orthopedic surgeon was honest with me and told me he couldn't promise the surgery would get rid of the pain. From years of taking a pounding I am very sensitive to inflammation. Staying hydrated, stretching and resistance training helps a ton. Certain foods are no bueno for inflammation, so paying attention to that helps as well. I don't like to hear people say they are going to avoid activities because it causes pain. Muscles will atrophy, only making the problem worse. I would suggest a pretty stringent stretching and rehab plan for least 6 months and see how you are feeling before you give something up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”