Big woods hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Big woods hunting

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Blinginpse wrote:
stash59 wrote:That's where even buying Dan's other DVD's can help. He explains about Google Earth's timeline works.

I used it years before I found the Beast for checking where old clear cuts were. When I lived in Montana and hunted elk.

It's pretty simple. My version of Google Earth has a bar with various tool options in the top left corner just above the aerial pic. There's one for placing a marker, another to draw a polygon, a measuring tool. Mixed in there is a little clock. By clicking on it a bar graph drops down.

The aerial you currently see is usually the most current. Click on the left arrow in the timeline graph/bar to see older pics. Some will be blurry and others are of poorer quality, but even those can show things at times. You can often go back to black and white aerials. Sometimes you can find winter pics without leaves on the trees. Often just slight variences in color can indicate different tree species. Which can indicate soft transitions.

If a color difference coordinates with a small finger ridge on the topo. You may have a thick spot for bedding.

Good luck!!!!

On iPhone my google earth doesn't show any of that

You need to use the desktop version.

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Pick a section that has good cover #1 as seen from the ariel maps. Then use the topography to determine travel routes and bedding. Topography is king in big woods. Little bites..... There are years of exploration ahead of you with that much ground.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 pm

If there are rivers going through it I would canoe through it. . There are places that deer cross much more often than others. It is easy to see where they cross from the bank cause it has been used for a long time and worn out. Sometimes beaver do the same thing but you can tell the difference. After that , I start walking the trails that cross the river. They usually cross over shallower areas before a rapids or something. You might see deer beds or areas where they bed or can tell where they had been feeding. Of course, there may not be a river where you want to hunt, but then I walk creeks and it is the same thing. It is easy to tell where they cross , usually over sandy or rocky areas so they dont sink in much. Walking in and out along a river is a bit easier than just going in an area and a bit harder to get lost. Has anyone done this or am I talking stupid again?
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 am

ihookem wrote:If there are rivers going through it I would canoe through it. . There are places that deer cross much more often than others. It is easy to see where they cross from the bank cause it has been used for a long time and worn out. Sometimes beaver do the same thing but you can tell the difference. After that , I start walking the trails that cross the river. They usually cross over shallower areas before a rapids or something. You might see deer beds or areas where they bed or can tell where they had been feeding. Of course, there may not be a river where you want to hunt, but then I walk creeks and it is the same thing. It is easy to tell where they cross , usually over sandy or rocky areas so they dont sink in much. Walking in and out along a river is a bit easier than just going in an area and a bit harder to get lost. Has anyone done this or am I talking stupid again?

Nope, not stupid at all. I plan on putting this into my bag of tricks ....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”