Scopes on muzzleloaders in MN

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Scopes on muzzleloaders in MN

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 27, 2017 9:26 am

Looks like we'll have even more guys heading afield this fall...
http://www.outdoornews.com/2017/05/26/s ... e-session/

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Scopes on muzzleloaders in MN

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 am

The times are-a-changing...like it or not :cry:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 27, 2017 12:32 pm

They were allowed in WI a number of years ago already. I honestly haven't seen any increase in hunting pressure. By then all but the die hard hunters have given up for the season.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat May 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Dewey wrote:They were allowed in WI a number of years ago already. I honestly haven't seen any increase in hunting pressure. By then all but the die hard hunters have given up for the season.

I would bet after rifle season, about 95% of the hunters in the state are done. Burned out, cold weather, and the start of ice fishing just give people plenty of reasons to not deer hunt.

Even with the crossbow permit going away and everybody being able to have one, I never noticed a change in hunting pressure. If I go up after gun hunting, its a safe bet that you will be the only person out hunting for miles.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 pm

I would be OK if Iowa passed a no-scope rule for muzzle loaders even though I have one on my gun now. Honestly my scoped in-line muzzleloader, which I use now, is equal to a single shot rifle with sub-MOA accuracy to easily take a deer out to 300 yards maybe a bit further. No scopes would level the playing field.

But rules aren't going to get tougher, only looser on weapons allowed as every state searches frantically for lost revenue. If only they realized these fixes do nothing at all. How about let's focus on actual hunter recruitment....loosening weapons regs to is kinda like thinking decreasing the divorce rate can be done by making it EASIER to get married in the first place :?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm against it for the simple fact that our bucks (in the majority of my hunting areas) are already few and far between and we keep putting more and more gun pressure on them. Now the road hunters are gonna have a hay day for 16 days strait. At least with iron sights they were limited.

We also get another hike in license fees. Already costs $100 to hunt all three seasons to shoot one deer. :snooty:

Man do I want to move.

On the bright side I should really be able to cover some bedding now :L:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Lockdown wrote:I'm against it for the simple fact that our bucks (in the majority of my hunting areas) are already few and far between and we keep putting more and more gun pressure on them. Now the road hunters are gonna have a hay day for 16 days strait. At least with iron sights they were limited.

We also get another hike in license fees. Already costs $100 to hunt all three seasons to shoot one deer. :snooty:

Man do I want to move.

I hear Iowa is nice particularly in November. And there is a massive shortage of people in skilled trades right now. Like electricians. I'm not kidding if you are good at what you do you can probably get a job offer with a little research and less than 5 phone calls :whistle:

Seriously you have my sympathy, I have been watching what has been going on up there with quite a bit of dismay. I hope the dementia that is affecting the MN management folks isn't contagious, don't want it crossing the border. We better build a wall! :lol:
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun May 28, 2017 12:58 am

It seemed like there was a surge in muzzleloader hunters a few years ago but it has lessened in recent history in my area
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 am

I think they've always been legal in Michigan, I see very few guys on public during blackpwder season. Even when I hunted high pressure in the lower
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon May 29, 2017 3:51 am

JoeRE wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I'm against it for the simple fact that our bucks (in the majority of my hunting areas) are already few and far between and we keep putting more and more gun pressure on them. Now the road hunters are gonna have a hay day for 16 days strait. At least with iron sights they were limited.

Man do I want to move.

I hear Iowa is nice particularly in November. And there is a massive shortage of people in skilled trades right now. Like electricians. I'm not kidding if you are good at what you do you can probably get a job offer with a little research and less than 5 phone calls :whistle:

Seriously you have my sympathy, I have been watching what has been going on up there with quite a bit of dismay. I hope the dementia that is affecting the MN management folks isn't contagious, don't want it crossing the border. We better build a wall! :lol:

Believe me, Iowa has crossed my mind more than once. I think my folks would have a heart attack because my sister and her family of 5 just decided to up and move to Washington. They're pretty bummed.

I'm sure I could get a job pretty easily. I've been wiring for 12 years and have been foreman of 7 or 8 different jobs and bosses always seem happy when the job is done. :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”