Teaching old dog new tricks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

Teaching old dog new tricks

Unread postby Waymore » Fri May 26, 2017 4:19 am

After stumbling onto this site about a year ago I thought I would list what new info I learned after 20 plus years of hunting.

1. You need to know here the beds are. Something I really never did.
2. Quit hunting the mainland where all the sign is made and where everyone else is Most is made at night. Look for sign near cover
3. Bucks face down wind in bed
4. Bucks travel into wind to bed but their travel leaving bed is usually not wind dependent
5. Milkweed
6. Trust the wind always and do not rely on scentlok as the ultimate answer. I will still use it and try to reduce scent but will not ignore wind.
7. If possible trying to access stand into the wind to have one scent stream
8. Scout more than you hunt. ABS "Always be Scouting"
9. If you are hunting to far from beds you are not in the game. It is possible to hang a stand within 50-75 yards of bed. This is probably #2 after knowing where the bed is. Have not done it yet
10. Slow down and be quiet when approaching tree. I used to try to get from point a to b as fast as possible
11. Water is your friend.
12. Dont take everything into woods. Yes I was the one thinking it was a picnic.
13. Crosswinds can be your best winds when trying to intercept a bed out of his bed
14. Scout transitions and fingers into marshes or swamps for best bedding
15. Best sit is first. Be mobile. This is one thing I did pick up but this site confirmed.
16. Deer will bed 1/3 down leeward side of hill.
17. Jumping deer on occasion is better than not seeing or knowing where the deer are. Instead of thinking I just jumped a buck go over there and figure out why and what the wind was etc.
18. Can kill big deer near roads
19. How to read topo maps. Can get a lot scouting done from Google Earth, HillMaps, etc
20. I need to put more time into this otherwise I am wasting my time. I am amazed on how much time and effort a lot of guys on this site put in.

I am sure I am missing more but you get the point. I really didnt know crap about hunting :lol: . Thanks to Dan and his videos and all the members here I feel like I am in a much better position and have a more confident mindset.

Dewey

Re: Teaching old dog new tricks

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 26, 2017 4:23 am

You are definitely on the right track. 8-)

Never too old to learn. I plan on being a student till the day I die.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 26, 2017 5:05 am

The Beast is a learning institution for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 26, 2017 5:26 am

I was in the same boat before finding the beast. This is a whole new hunting lifestyle for me now! Hunting has become a year round sport instead of only 4 months. We all never stop learning! Finally, I feel like I'm "in the game"!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:08 am

Gotta agree! Only thing holding me back is my health. But I try and do what I can. Because it's all kinda simple yet totally ground breaking. And means I still have a chance despite physical inadequacies and having to hunt pressured public. With the journey as, if not more important than the outcome. Coolest thing going in the whitetail world IMHO!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Fri May 26, 2017 6:29 am

I intend to move this season from knowing into doing. No shortcuts, no hunting just becauseI like being in the stand. Focus on killing.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat May 27, 2017 2:21 am

Great Post! :clap:
You should copy and paste that on here as well. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14387
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 pm

:clap:
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sun May 28, 2017 12:13 am

docwaters wrote:I intend to move this season from knowing into doing. No shortcuts, no hunting just becauseI like being in the stand. Focus on killing.

Exactly!!! The knowledge will be useless unless I implement it. That will be the hard part.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 am

Good list of thoughts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”