Out of the box thinking

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Out of the box thinking

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 am

I've done this before for turkey hunt bird off the roost. The funny thing is, every time I've walked them in the daylight, there's been deer tracks on the path in the dirt. The deer even like the "easy" path!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu May 25, 2017 8:37 am

Lockdown wrote:I love it man 8-) not easy but very do-able

The day you execute, go in with the mindset of a killer. Psych yourself up and get in full on Beast mode. You're half crazy anyway so that mindset shouldn't be that difficult to attain ;)

I was thinking about bringing my headphones so when I got to the point where I need to go full beast mode I could play Stone Colds entrance song! :lol:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 am

ODH wrote:tbunao, I am curious is the area right around the "main bed" more dense with vegetation than the rest of the slope, relatively speaking? Or is it open like in the pictures? How about around the other beds? Are there any other unique features about the bedding area other than the elevation/sight lines/air flow you already mentioned? Thanks for your help. Asking because I hunt similar terrain sometimes and am trying to dial in on what else to look for.

The main bed is about 200 yards up and over. The point isn't big enough to hold more than one bed. With the easier access and private that's why these deer are bedded on the windward side. The bed is actually 20 yards away from a transition. It's a thicket full of 6ft tall trees of some sort (I need to get back on my identification). These trees don't get very tall and tend to grow super close to each other. This thicket runs down that hill into a beaver swamp on private. From the 3 years of being here I don't see them using the swamp until serious pressure arrives. Hence why I'm ok with the tape. The buck last year was in that thicket in 2 bounds and went directly to that swamp. Now another deer did get up and go when he went screaming by but that was on private and I can't get to it. This buck was hanging out with the 2nd of 3 shooters. This brings up why I don't set up on this bed. He wants to work that transition line to the top where several large oaks are located.
By trying this if I screw up I don't believe the buck on top will have a clue as long as they bolt out and don't blow.

I would have to say they bed there because of that transition lines. There are several good benches on your way in but it's wide open.

Now I can hunt this bed more traditionally on a north wind if a small cluster of huge white oaks produce. Summer will tell on how I approach this area.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 am

That's great intel thanks for the details. Best of luck with it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 pm

tgreeno wrote:I've done this before for turkey hunt bird off the roost. The funny thing is, every time I've walked them in the daylight, there's been deer tracks on the path in the dirt. The deer even like the "easy" path!

Funny you mention the deer usage. I cleared out a small spot by a tree for a turkey setup 2 weeks go. No more than 3' diameter. When I went in to sit it 2 days ago it had deer tracks in it!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 am

The headphones would be cool but I would pop in Slayers "Reign in Blood". If that doesn't get something dead I don't know what will. :lol: Go for it dude!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 am

Bigburner wrote:The headphones would be cool but I would pop in Slayers "Reign in Blood". If that doesn't get something dead I don't know what will. :lol: Go for it dude!

That's my alarm
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri May 26, 2017 1:12 am

tbunao wrote:
Bigburner wrote:The headphones would be cool but I would pop in Slayers "Reign in Blood". If that doesn't get something dead I don't know what will. :lol: Go for it dude!

That's my alarm

Nice!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri May 26, 2017 1:23 am

stash59 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I've done this before for turkey hunt bird off the roost. The funny thing is, every time I've walked them in the daylight, there's been deer tracks on the path in the dirt. The deer even like the "easy" path!

Funny you mention the deer usage. I cleared out a small spot by a tree for a turkey setup 2 weeks go. No more than 3' diameter. When I went in to sit it 2 days ago it had deer tracks in it!!!

The deer down here head to fresh dirt like there is no tomorrow. They smell it and seem to like to walk in it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 am

Rich M wrote:
stash59 wrote:

The deer down here head to fresh dirt like there is no tomorrow. They smell it and seem to like to walk in it.

Yeah when I worked at putting in footings and concrete walls for foundations. The homes being built in the woods or near where deer lived. Often had fresh deer tracks in the holes for the new basement. So often jumping down 6 or 7 feet to get in and more amazing jumping that high to get out. Probably all at night.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 am

stash59 wrote:

I see deer tracks in my ground blinds a lot. They lay in them too... They like the cool black dirt.

My dog dug a hole in my yard big enough to lay in because she likes cool black dirt :twisted: the other day I saw her primping it and moving dirt slowly with her paw. Honestly if I wasn't so into deer bedding it would bother me a lot more :lol: she lays shed to back, regardless of wind.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 am

stash59 wrote:
Rich M wrote:
stash59 wrote:

Yeah when I worked at putting in footings and concrete walls for foundations. The homes being built in the woods or near where deer lived. Often had fresh deer tracks in the holes for the new basement. So often jumping down 6 or 7 feet to get in and more amazing jumping that high to get out. Probably all at night.

Did you leave a ladder in the basement? I was building a basement with my grandpa and his dog would follow him up and down the ladder. One of the craziest things I think I ever saw. Nobody believed us til they saw her do it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri May 26, 2017 9:43 am

My mom's dog climbs ladders too.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Would love to see this pay off. Test the boundaries baby!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”