My deer don't read hunting magazines

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: My deer don't read hunting magazines

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 26, 2017 1:48 am

My brother in law can't believe I set-up and break down every hunt! He hunts 95% of the time in pre-set stands on private land. Totally mobile hunting with a stand on your back is not a feasible tactic to many hunters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:11 am

Lockdown wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
I used to think bucks bedded in very thick areas randomly and moved very little outside the rut during daylight.

My favorite comment from people is "he's nocturnal." :D

No he's not... Your stands and cameras are probably 1/2 mile from his bedding areas.

It just makes me smile because I used to hunt "nocturnal" bucks too.

From a unexperienced hunters perspective its very easy to think most mature bucks are nocturnal since they move very short distances in daylight. Unless you understand where those bucks bed being sucessful is very lucky.

I think most hunters that have not killed many mature bucks think that for good reason.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Josh03

Unread postby Josh03 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:18 am

This is a great thread as I feel it really applies to me. After being in the military and hunting some great pieces of public up and down the east coast on military bases, I married and returned home. My wife's family has a farm that I hunt exclusively. I too applied the food plot, sanctuary method for several years. I was able to tag a couple three year olds when they slipped up however was never laying eyes on a couple of the big guys. After some serious spring scouting, I'm looking forward to diving into my "sanctuary" and hunting some of the beds I located.
Obsession Archery, Easton Arrows, Lone Wolf Tree stand

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”