Wind and Food Sources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Wind and Food Sources

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Do deer switch up their preferred nightly food sources based on wind? I assumed that they kept the same food source(s) for a little while, and changed up beds while using that food source depending on the wind, but tonight I got to wondering...Do they eat in the same fields/plots night after night regardless of wind? If so, being an animal thats so cautious about the wind direction, how do they feel safe out in a field? Just because they are up and alert and can run away if needed?

Not that it matters for hunting bedding areas, but I just wonder if they change up their food sources too for different winds? While shining, have you noticed deer in a certain food source with a certain wind, but a different source with a different wind..

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Wind and Food Sources

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:52 pm

I believe that as long as they have 360 vision which they do in the field wind does not play a factor at all.But wind direction will only determine possibly when they arrive there.They will still go where they wanta go but possibly leave their bed later if the wind is,nt right.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 pm

I saw a pattern in regards to what fields they were using this year and it had to do with wind. It's hard to say. I'm gonna keep tabs again this upcoming year and try to prove myself right or wrong.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm

I had a similar question to post but mine was more into relation of how they leave their beds based on the wind. In high pressure I believe a well hidden buck will remain in the same core area if it is safe. That being said how do they leave their bed. Do they leave with the wind in their face or at their back? I figure that would determine when they arrive to their food source. I too believe they maintain the same food source but arrival time is based on wind. I don't believe they leave later always as much as they may just leave and take an alternate route using wind and cover for their advantage. basically I want to know how wind affects the way deer use and leave their beds. Into the wind or with the wind?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am

In some of the areas I hunt the deer seem to know that strong winds put an increased number of acorns and beech nuts on the ground for them drawing them into these areas to feed.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:06 am

I wanted to bring this to the top as I still am wondering about the question I posted...

its been discussed that bucks change their bedding based on the wind, do they use the same food source though as cornfed asked? Also, how do they approach that food source? Wind in their face or at their back? I guess that's where I'm most confused with all of this, I did my scouting and found my beds I think I know where the deer will feed but when he stands up from his bed which way is he going to head? into the wind or away with the wind or maybe cross ways through it?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I wanted to bring this to the top as I still am wondering about the question I posted...

its been discussed that bucks change their bedding based on the wind, do they use the same food source though as cornfed asked? Also, how do they approach that food source? Wind in their face or at their back? I guess that's where I'm most confused with all of this, I did my scouting and found my beds I think I know where the deer will feed but when he stands up from his bed which way is he going to head? into the wind or away with the wind or maybe cross ways through it?

Some beds are wind specific... Some are any wind. Bucks will likely go to the food source they want to, regardless of where they bed but will try to choose bedding somewhat near the food source. Remember though, that secure bedding trumps being close to food.
I get some argument on this, but from my observations of big bucks over the years, I believe bucks pay little attention to wind direction when traveling to a food source. Wind direxction does seem to be used a lot though during the differing stages of the rut... What evidence I have seen of deer useing wind direction to travel has been with the wind at there back. That might sound strange to a treestand hunter with the mindset that the buck will wind the food source before approaching, but should sound reasonable to anybody who has tracked deer in snow and tried to get close with the deer being able to smell him coming... Again though, wind don't seem all that important once they are on there feet unless its rut.
I have noticed though, that they seem to leave there bedding area or extend there staging a little farther in daylight on the days when the wind blows to them rather than away. Seems to give them a little extra bit of confidance.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks Dan. So when they stand up from their beds they head for the food more than heading with or against the wind? That would make the most sense I assume.

Also beds are not always wind specific if they are secure but does their positioning in the bed vary with the wind? For example a wind out of the west would have them facing east watching their downwind side and scent checking he upwind? Or is it different than that?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks Dan. So when they stand up from their beds they head for the food more than heading with or against the wind? That would make the most sense I assume.

Think about it like this... If a buck always traveled with his nose to the wind where do you think he would end up after two straight weeks of a West wind? ;)

Also beds are not always wind specific if they are secure but does their positioning in the bed vary with the wind? For example a wind out of the west would have them facing east watching their downwind side and scent checking he upwind? Or is it different than that?

Yes... I believe most of the time bucks face downwind. But I have on a few occasions seen them face the wrong way if it was pretty unlikly anything could get at them from behind because of an extreme barrier..
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Dan, I'm taking notes now this is gonna be my year ;)
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

Do a search on this, there was a good thread on it. I have observed bucks travel with the wind so they can smell their backtrail, especially in open woods. Also I notice that they like to enter the field on the upwind side so they can see everything in the field and smell the field edge they enter through.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:21 am

could you post a link to the thread you are referring to Grud?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 am

I agree with Dan that I often see deer traveling to food with the wind at their back or a cross wind. IMO wind direction does not matter - preferred food source matters (find the hot food source). Also, agree that they will move slightly earlier to staging area if wind is in their favor.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 am

I think this is the post I was thinking of:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4258

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”