High Kill / Low Kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

High Temp and Low Temp You Killed A Buck

Below Zero
11%
0-15 degrees F
15%
16-30 degrees F
15%
31-45 degrees F
9%
46-60 degrees F
12%
61-75 degrees F
15%
76-90 degrees F
16%
91-105 degrees F
7%
Over 105
No votes

Total votes: 123
Hooks1

Re: High Kill / Low Kill

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Low of 18 and high in lower the 90's. Most are taken between 45/65 degrees.

nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Tue May 30, 2017 1:14 pm

My coldest buck was around -15. It was in 2 feet of snow. Pulling him out in a jet sled was slick until we punched through the ice crossing a small stream. Once we got across the snow instantly froze to the sled. Then it was more like dragging velcro.

My warmest was low 60s
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:25 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:
SMS79 wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:Early season last year I killed my 170 plus inch buck on a day it was 86 degrees. ive killed multiple bucks on days it was 80-90 degrees. Get in close to their bed and they still move

High - upper 70s
Low - upper 20s

The last two bucks I've killed were both unseasonably warm (mid to upper 70s) days in early December. The one I killed in 2013 was the oldest deer I've ever killed at 6.5. The one I killed in 2015 was the highest scoring deer I've ever killed (gross mid-140s...if brows not broken off would've been low 150s). I killed both of these bucks in basically the same spot (within 40 yards). Both mobile first-time sits for the spot for that season. I didn't discover The Beast until recently, and I haven't been back to this farm (3+ hours away) since discovering The Hunting Beast. My assumption in hindsight is that this is exactly what I'd inadvertently done. My spot there must be close to some good primary buck bedding and I didn't know it. Nor did I really even know to look for it back then. I'm looking forward to putting some boots on the ground in there and put my Beast education to use when I get a chance.

We're both near the same time of the year? That I would say is most likely a primary buck bedding area without knowing anything else about it. They move in warm weather but often not far, especially the older they get.

Yes. The respective dates were 12/7/13 & 12/11/15. Upper 70s is definitely unseasonably warm for early December, but not completely crazy down here in GA. It is also worth noting that for the area this particular farm is in, the deer's cycle is almost exactly a month later than areas I typically hunt closer to home. This is true for all the steps you typically notice in a deer's calendar year...rut, fawn birth, shedding antlers, hardening antlers and shedding velvet, etc. That puts these two kills right around the peak of the rut for this area.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 am

Speaking of warm late season weather, last season taught me that its not the end of the world. We had a major cold snap mid-December but then it warmed up a lot. I was still seeing pretty good deer movement around the holidays with warmer weather. They were just back to hitting the green food sources. I took from that a big warm up following a cold spell can still see good bed to food movement.

I shot a buck years ago with a high around 60 degrees on Christmas day. Shot him wearing a camo t-shirt which is nuts for that time of year around here :lol:

Regardless of temps, deer don't live in burrows. They are still there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”