size of buck bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

size of buck bed?

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 pm

In your experience what is the length & width of a mature 200+ pound buck bed?

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: size of buck bed?

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

I,ve experimented with this lightly.But If I had to guess i would say around 47-51 " my steps are an even 12" and most are all of that .I've seen some pretty big doe beds also.If your looking for stictly sex indentifacation than i really would,nt pay much attention to bed size but where I found the bed.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 am

I think Swampthing is definitely right in the ballpark. I've found it pretty tough to be certain (the length, not that its a buck bed), as bucks may bed in the same spot more than once on different days- they also shift around quite a bit while bedded. With an overnight snowfall I've tracked some nice bucks into their very fresh bed impression in the snow before they blew out of there. A 50" or more length is typically what I found when I carried a cloth measuring tape with me. To really simplify it, they look big!

Many times I scout in the winter and find what I think is a buck bedding area (rubline, location, buck rub right next to or in what you think is a buck bed, etc.), but the buck has shifted his bedding preference due to the winter weather and food sources, rut being over, hunting pressure being gone or some other reason. I don't let this deter me, and once you get good at finding buck bedding areas you will start recognizing likely spots. With a gloved hand I brush away the snow to see if there is bare dirt and deer hair beneath it. If there is frozen vegetation beneath, I use the tip of my gloved fingers to scratch up the vegetation- sometimes down to the bare earth- to look for typically white deer hair in the bed. About seventy percent of the time I find what I'm looking for, it does take a little practice.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 am

Swampthing wrote:I,ve experimented with this lightly.But If I had to guess i would say around 47-51 " my steps are an even 12" and most are all of that .I've seen some pretty big doe beds also.If your looking for stictly sex indentifacation than i really would,nt pay much attention to bed size but where I found the bed.

I would agree with this. Also, does generally will have several beds together, big bucks you might only find one very strategically placed.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm

good info all! Thanks!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 pm

A big mature buck in this area is 52-56" across
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”