Hunting next to high fence?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chas3r

Hunting next to high fence?

Unread postby chas3r » Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 am

I was wondering if anyone has hunted next to high fence area's at all. I found public ground next to a high fence situation and was wondering how a beast would approach hunting it.
1. Can you use the fence as a place where the deer can't get behind you
2. Being the fence is at the bottom of a hill next to a creak can you use it for wind advantage
3. Bedding seems to be mostly on private river oxbows in relation to the fence or adjoining river

Just want to see what other guys would try my idea is to do like dan has said and throw a stand at it early, rut, and late season.

Thanks for the opinions

tim
500 Club

Re: Hunting next to high fence?

Unread postby tim » Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 am

Well if youre hunting next to a high fence in essence you are partially hunting high fence in that deer cannot get past that side of the area you are hunting, it's not a natural occurrence such as a lake or bluff. Only the deer on your side of the fence probably won't look like the deer on the otherside
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm

My extremely urban spot has this situation. For me, there is about a 200 acre flood plain/wooded area that has high fences all around it. Unless a deer is in extreme danger, they wouldnt jump this fence so the only way in and out is to go to one of the few breaks in the fence. The good thing is I have permission to hunt a couple acres where the fence meets the creek and there is a few foot gap where the fence meets the creek and permission to retrieve deer on the fenced in area. Deer use this as the point to go in and out of the fenced area. My set up gives me about a 20 yard shot to the break in the fence. Good thing about this area is its so urban and so close to a major interstate that many of you have probably driven within 40 yards of the stand. We've learned that scent doesn't matter too much here due the highway scent and noise. Some of you won't believe that but its the truth. I'm so close to the highway I can talk on my phone with a deer 20 yards away and it won't even know I'm there.

I'd try to find a break in the fence somewhere and use that as a pinch point. I've been hunting this spot for 6 years with my dad and we've taken 9 deer from this pinch point. No big bucks (my dad hunts for meat at his age) but some nice basket rack bucks and good does.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 pm

We have some high fence exclosures in our area and I have seen them act as funnels
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Sat May 20, 2017 1:32 am

This high fence area I'm talking about has a paid hunting operation on it so there are no breaks in the fence but I was also thinking I could use it as a funnel. The treestands I have found are on top of the hill in a converging funnel but my scouting tells me that the deer might be over the edge of the hill between the stand and high fence.
My other question us if I set up next to the fence do the free deer pay close attention to the fenced deer as far as what might alert them like scent or sight or are they used to different situations due to human interference?
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Sat May 20, 2017 1:33 am

chas3r wrote:This high fence area I'm talking about has a paid hunting operation on it so there are no breaks in the fence but I was also thinking I could use it as a funnel. The treestands I have found are on top of the hill in a converging funnel but my scouting tells me that the deer might be over the edge of the hill between the stand and high fence.
My other question us if I set up next to the fence do the free deer pay close attention to the fenced deer as far as what might alert them like scent or sight or are they used to different situations due to human interference?
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat May 20, 2017 1:42 am

I would say since the deer inside the fence have already learned to associate humans with danger since they have been and are being hunted, they will blow if they see you just like any other wild deer and the deer on your side of the fence will react to the alert.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 am

woodswalker wrote:I would say since the deer inside the fence have already learned to associate humans with danger since they have been and are being hunted, they will blow if they see you just like any other wild deer and the deer on your side of the fence will react to the alert.

That's kinda what I was thinking
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 am

It may be a good buck cruising area during the rut. When the wind is blowing out from the "deer farm". The "free" bucks will be smelling the "jailed" does in estrous and come to investigate. They may pace back and forth near the fence for awhile. Similar to how I've seen dogs and cattle do. When a fence keeps them away from an estrous female.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Sat May 20, 2017 5:29 am

stash59 wrote:It may be a good buck cruising area during the rut. When the wind is blowing out from the "deer farm". The "free" bucks will be smelling the "jailed" does in estrous and come to investigate. They may pace back and forth near the fence for awhile. Similar to how I've seen dogs and cattle do. When a fence keeps them away from an estrous female.

The way the rubs follow the fence line makes me think the same thing. Trying to figure out a way to use this to my advantage but being is in the valley has me concerned about the wind
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 am

Remember Dan's saying, "no hunt is a failure". Through some hunts at it and find out.

I believe it was on his recent W2H podcast that JoeRE mentioned going into areas in the spring. On days with similar weather and most importantly winds. Direction and speed. That he suspected the deer would be in the area. Throwing out some milkweed to figure out if there was a way to "beat" the winds in those spots. Go give it a try yet this summer. It can't hurt.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 am

stash59 wrote:Remember Dan's saying, "no hunt is a failure". Through some hunts at it and find out.

I believe it was on his recent W2H podcast that JoeRE mentioned going into areas in the spring. On days with similar weather and most importantly winds. Direction and speed. That he suspected the deer would be in the area. Throwing out some milkweed to figure out if there was a way to "beat" the winds in those spots. Go give it a try yet this summer. It can't hurt.

Great idea I will definitely give a try. My opinion on this piece of property is I really can't mess anything up for myself because it's the first time I've been in there and if I don't succeed I'll try again.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 20, 2017 6:42 am

stash59 wrote:It may be a good buck cruising area during the rut. When the wind is blowing out from the "deer farm". The "free" bucks will be smelling the "jailed" does in estrous and come to investigate. They may pace back and forth near the fence for awhile. Similar to how I've seen dogs and cattle do. When a fence keeps them away from an estrous female.

I was gonna say the same exact thing Stash. You saved me some typing. I have seen this by the local deer preserve.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 am

I've seen this multiple times along the fence of a nearby private airport near my house. I've also seen bucks use the fence to coral the doe in heat.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat May 20, 2017 7:31 am

Depending on their doe numbers, I could see bucks cruising the downwind side of that during the rut. They can smell does in heat but can't get close enough so they will walk the fence line trying to find a way to access it and find that doe. I remember reading an article about a guy who had a deer farm and during the rut, he'd have all sorts of mature bucks walking the downwind side of his fence during the rut. They want what they can't have...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”