In A Slump!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

In A Slump!

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:16 pm

First off I have a couple of places that I have been hunting that are close to my house.I have 40 acres that I live on. And I also hunt this 165 acre piece of property.I have been hunting this 170" deer most of the season on the 165 acre property.It's a beautiful buck. I saw him one time at about 50 yds in Oct.Since then I have passed probably 40 deer of various sizes I have had at 20 yds or less. Except the 130" 8 point I missed. Now its getting down to crunch time I only have a few days left in the season to hunt.And the place's that I normally see deer.I haven't seen but maybe 2 deer in the last 10 days or so.They don't seem to be coming to food plots.I have one planted on the 40 acres I live on and they haven't touched it. It's sad because there are turnips the size of baseballs rotting on it.I haven't really hunted my place much because of that buck I have been after. The 165 acre property has about 60 acres of grown up fields on it.There is not a real good food source for them. But I know they are there.Yesterday I heard something coming right before dark but never came in. And when I was getting ready to come down turned my green head lamp and had a doe blowing at me.Right now I am just trying to get a mature doe within bow range. So how would you guys go about this.And tonight's hunt was a bust covered up with the neighbors cows.So hunting my place is out of the question. I wish I could post an aerial view of the place I hunt.

3dog

Re: In A Slump!

Unread postby 3dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 pm

The 165 acre property has about 60 acres of grown up fields on it.

This is my favorite type of cover to hunt, I get into more big bucks on overgrown fields. Hard to say what to do in your case, sounds like the deer might be on to you pretty good....
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I have been hunting there pretty hard. But I don't go out there more than a day or two at a time usually to different spots.Should I keep hunting field edges along trails or should I try to get back in the timber along a trail?
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Finally had 3 does at 30 yds. Could not close the deal.Too many branches in the way to make a clean shot. Didn't want to track a wounded doe for half of the night.I should be able to set up on that spot tomorrow a little different to get a better shot.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Good luck.......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Zap wrote:Good luck.......
Thanks Buddy
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Might go against the grain here, but have you tried backtracking into the cover. Spook em', let them settle, then hunt? I think I would dive in a bit....
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

If I don't get a crack at one tomorrow.I might try that.
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 am

Well I struck out after playing cat and mouse since before Christmas. This is the first year I have not killed anything in 5 yrs or so.I usually average 2-4 deer a year. I give it my all and bowhunted probably 55-60 days. I hope to have better luck next year"With some serious scouting this spring".I am looking forward to learning a thing or to about hunting mature whitetails from you guys.Thanks for listening.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 am

Just saw this post... Sorry you didn't get anything.

.Should I keep hunting field edges along trails or should I try to get back in the timber along a trail?

Really, to me this might spell out why your not getting many opertunitys. I think its pretty tough to kill a mature buck along a field edge unless your hunting very unpressured deer.
Most of the mature bucks I see don't leave there security area in daylight very often. I would use this off season to really learn where they are bedding and how you can get close enogh without getting busted next season.
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 am

dan wrote:Just saw this post... Sorry you didn't get anything.

.Should I keep hunting field edges along trails or should I try to get back in the timber along a trail?

Really, to me this might spell out why your not getting many opertunitys. I think its pretty tough to kill a mature buck along a field edge unless your hunting very unpressured deer.
Most of the mature bucks I see don't leave there security area in daylight very often. I would use this off season to really learn where they are bedding and how you can get close enogh without getting busted next season.
I think I over hunted the area. I am going to find out where they are bedding here shortly. And figure out a strategy for next year. I am trying to gain access to a couple of pieces of new property to hunt.I am going to try to have several different places to hunt next season to keep from over hunting the area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 am

Sounds like a good plan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”