Setting up on buck beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deebright11

Setting up on buck beds

Unread postby deebright11 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 am

Found a few buck beds this winter in big woods in hill country here in Ohio. One of which I found a good set of sheds in of a buck that will be a good one this upcoming season. On this particular bed I had trouble finding any for sure trails exiting or entering the bed. It also does not have any agricultural fields within reasonable distance and the woods are filled with oaks so there's no guaranteed acorn feeding area. How should I setup on this bed in order to kill this buck early season before the rut? My only guess is to stay at his same elevation a cpl hundred yards away and hope he walks my direction or at least get eyes on him. Or is it more common for a buck to travel up and down at last light? I normally just play the rut game here on public ground, but since I found a few buck beds I figure I'll try to get on one before rutting patterns begin. Thanks in advance, David.

Hatchet Jack

Re: Setting up on buck beds

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

if theres a lot of points, set up on the next point over near the thermal tunnel.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm new to hunting over beds also but I have heard dan say to get much closer than a few hundred yards. Maybe 75 to 125 yards of the bed. His one buck he's mentioned was only bedded 75 yards away. Now, I too would be on the same elevation as you said, however the experts on here may disagree. Also, perhaps there will be scrapes near your bed you found? If you don't know of any maybe there are some logging roads in the hills your scouting? They attract a lot of bucks to make scrapes. Setting up between a hot scrape and a bed would seem to be ideal to me. I would garentee they'd be willing to to work a scrape after bedding all day. Setting up somewhere between point A and point B could work. (Much closer to A though haha.)
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Where's that "Hill Country" DVD when you need it? :doh:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Haha we need the new bedding DVD!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue May 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I think cover may dictate the distance you set up. I would think more like 100 yards, or as close as you think you can get away with.

Otherwise, set-up in an observation stand further away and observe the pattern. Then move in for the kill after you figure him out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Another question you might ask yourself, is why do you think that buck is bedding in that particular area? If you found sheds that tells me he is there late season but not necessarily early season. Light use of entrance/exit trails also kind of lines up with seasonal bedding from what you're saying. Also take into consideration a buck will travel great distances to and from food if that bed is where he feels safest. I too am new at the bed hunting but it helps me to ask myself all the right questions before coming up with a game plan. And if you're still uncertain after you've done the run down, Dan has suggested throwing some sits at it (early,rut,late) or like tgreeno said with some observation sits. Not really on point with your advice on setting up on the bed but I got more concerned about the odds of whether the buck would be there early season or not. Besides I would take more seasoned beast hunter's advice on stand set ups before I took my own :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed May 17, 2017 1:52 pm

I agree w Wannabelikedan
Your question is the one we all seek! The key is WHY and WHEN especially when you have no answer for his wants/needs. Big bucks deceive us w many things but they cannot hide tracks. Pre rut is my favorite time to attack the awesome beds. Alot of guys shoot one early when they first get going (including myself), but IMO early season bedding requires pre season confirmation. Remember that it can or is being used by more than 1 buck so you could get action there all season or juse certain times. All we can do is read the sign the best of our abilities and take our best guesses. The best advice I can give is take pics or footage and post it or PM someone. Hill country, hardwoods bucks can be tough so fast tracking your knowledge from guys that see the same things you do is a major game changer. I think your plan you spoke about sounds great! Just practice your climbing until season getting better and quiter everytime. Setup as close as you feel comfortable. Use the weather elements to your advantage.
deebright11

Unread postby deebright11 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:04 am

So this specific bed he will be able to see the main access trail to this piece. I think that's playing a role in why he's bedding there.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu May 18, 2017 2:52 am

I have one overlooked spot, where the bucks beds 50 yards off the access trail. And watches everyone walk by to sit back in the hardwoods.

I either park down the road and sneak in from the other direction. Or have my brother in law drop me off down the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 am

Its very hard to learn how close you can get this is a issue im having.

On noisy crunchy leaves getting within 150 yards is difficult.

In pines 100 yards is much easier.

I spent most of last year on noisy leaves trying to get to 80 yards its real tough spooked i know of at least 2 bucks eventually i back out to 120 yards from the bed and got a decent 8 on very dry leaves. . I felt like my best entrys last year were on wet leaves allowing me to get in closer feeling more confident i hadnt spooked bucks.

So focusing on buck beds near pines or on wet mornings is the best provided the winds good.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Its very hard to learn how close you can get this is a issue im having.

On noisy crunchy leaves getting within 150 yards is difficult.

In pines 100 yards is much easier.

I spent most of last year on noisy leaves trying to get to 80 yards its real tough spooked i know of at least 2 bucks eventually i back out to 120 yards from the bed and got a decent 8 on very dry leaves. . I felt like my best entrys last year were on wet leaves allowing me to get in closer feeling more confident i hadnt spooked bucks.

So focusing on buck beds near pines or on wet leaves is the best provided the winds good.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”