Fawns.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Fawns.

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I have had 2 different friends find/see new fawns born in the last 24 hours today while out turkey hunting. I have also seen a few posts on FB of people seeing new fawns from the last day or so. I like to keep track of the early fawns so I can do a count back to conception. If born today and using the average 200 day whitetail gestation period. That gives us a conception date of October 23rd 2016. This is interesting to me as I have noticed more chasing and breeding activity that last week of Oct the last 5 years or so. I know some older does come into estrus roughly mid October or so. But I have noticed fairly regularly that in West Central Wi anyway where I do 90% of my hunting. That the last full week of October seems to be as hot as the first week of November.

Clink

Re: Fawns.

Unread postby Clink » Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Wow, intersting. I've seen very late fawns in Maine but they usually dont have a good survivial rate. They just don't have that leg up and growth before winter months. Havent seen any early fawns yet though. I wonder if anyone else will chime in with their sightings.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:I have had 2 different friends find/see new fawns born in the last 24 hours today while out turkey hunting. I have also seen a few posts on FB of people seeing new fawns from the last day or so. I like to keep track of the early fawns so I can do a count back to conception. If born today and using the average 200 day whitetail gestation period. That gives us a conception date of October 23rd 2016. This is interesting to me as I have noticed more chasing and breeding activity that last week of Oct the last 5 years or so. I know some older does come into estrus roughly mid October or so. But I have noticed fairly regularly that in West Central Wi anyway where I do 90% of my hunting. That the last full week of October seems to be as hot as the first week of November.

Interesting. The last week of oct is when i have gotten the most buck pics on my trail cam the past few yrs.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Lot's of fresh roadkills in the past 3-4 days and every one is last years fawns. Happens every year around this time as the does kick out last years young when they are getting ready to give birth. The one year olds wander around lost and become roadkill.

I have heard the gestation is as low as 180 days. Depends on nutrition quality and other factors.

6 months later we repeat the cycle again with increased roadkills during the peak rut.
Big Ben

Unread postby Big Ben » Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 pm

The last 2 years I've shot 10 points on October 21st. 2 years ago he came out of his bed before dark..,last year a morning hunt he came past chasing 3 does! I heard him grunt 50+ times before I shot him at 10 yards. I agree with the late October theory...this year im going to take my vacation days late October verses early november!
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri May 12, 2017 4:25 pm

My brother found a fawn yesterday while turkey hunting here in PA. And I too have gotten really good trail cam pics in the last 10 days of October over the last couple of seasons. Anytime after October 20th with some type of cold front and my pictures of mature bucks increase dramatically. I already am planning on spending a lot more time in the tree this fall during the end of October.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

I saw a fresh fawn on 5/9 here in NY. Within a 100 yards of where Deerdylan and I spotted one last year around the same time. Same doe? Do does have a preferred birthing place? :think:
As other have stated, my cams began to light up the last 2 weeks of October as well. Actually went kind of quiet in November. There is an influx of pressure due to xbow opening the 2nd week of November.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Yea I saw one virtually newborn fawn smoked on the road yesterday. I also am seeing yearlings wandering around looking lost and lone does wandering around - not groups of them. Clear signs fawns are starting to drop.

I have been wondering just how precise that 200 day gestation is. For instance in humans it varies a lot - 2 weeks forward or back is nothing. Other animals like cows, sheep, goats gestation period seems to be more precise though. Varies a few days that's it.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Dewey wrote:Lot's of fresh roadkills in the past 3-4 days and every one is last years fawns. Happens every year around this time as the does kick out last years young when they are getting ready to give birth. The one year olds wander around lost and become roadkill.

I have heard the gestation is as low as 180 days. Depends on nutrition quality and other factors.

6 months later we repeat the cycle again with increased roadkills during the peak rut.

Haven't seen any new fawns yet but nearly smoked a 1 year old with my truck not 10 minutes ago. Interesting... :think:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 pm

tbunao wrote:I saw a fresh fawn on 5/9 here in NY. Within a 100 yards of where Deerdylan and I spotted one last year around the same time. Same doe? Do does have a preferred birthing place? :think:

I think they do man particularly if nothing got the fawn - then the doe would remember that was a successful place to have a fawn. The last 2 springs a great big momma doe has had a fawn (not twins just 1 big fawn) right behind my house - within 100 yards. Haven't seen her this spring yet, need to look back at the photos to see what day it was. Mid-may anyway. She seems to know the 4-legged predator population is pretty low around my house :lol:
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 am

JoeRE wrote:
tbunao wrote:I saw a fresh fawn on 5/9 here in NY. Within a 100 yards of where Deerdylan and I spotted one last year around the same time. Same doe? Do does have a preferred birthing place? :think:

I think they do man particularly if nothing got the fawn - then the doe would remember that was a successful place to have a fawn. The last 2 springs a great big momma doe has had a fawn (not twins just 1 big fawn) right behind my house - within 100 yards. Haven't seen her this spring yet, need to look back at the photos to see what day it was. Mid-may anyway. She seems to know the 4-legged predator population is pretty low around my house :lol:

you touch on a good point Joe....this is a great time of year to be out calling for coyotes, anything to keep the predation off the fawns is a good thing in my opinion. I also think its one of the easiest times to get a coyote to come to the calls as well!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 am

I've always wanted to grill fawn.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat May 13, 2017 12:27 am

JoeRE wrote:

Interesting... Come to think of it, this particular area has a bit of humans around but I may be the only one to intrude in this one small corner. Btw another great podcast cast on W2H the other day. I need to hit you up with some numbers questions
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 am

Think I read about a study by John Ozaga that talked about preferred fawning spots years ago. :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat May 13, 2017 5:25 am

We live on the edge of a small town. We have deer go through on occasion but not a daily thing. Since I have lived here (2009) there has been a doe or 2 that has her fawn(s) and stays most the summer right near our house. There are fields, wetland, and brushy fence rows in the immediate area. There is pretty much zero predators, so I think that's what draws them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”