Fawns.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Fawns.

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 am

Great thoughts on the end of Oct... Always see does on the back way to work...virtually disappeared the last week or so. And I would'nt be suprised at all about favorite birthing spots.

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 13, 2017 11:07 am

Speaking of preferred birthing spots I mentioned this before that up north in early June I have witnessed does swimming out to the same islands in the middle of lakes every year to give birth. I suspect it's to avoid predators more than anything especially since it's in wolf country.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 am

Just saw a dead fawn hit on the road. Was hit in a area I see a lot of deer crossing all through the year. I have heard of plenty others being spotted by turkey hunters and ever some state highway workers.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Kokes wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
tbunao wrote:I saw a fresh fawn on 5/9 here in NY. Within a 100 yards of where Deerdylan and I spotted one last year around the same time. Same doe? Do does have a preferred birthing place? :think:

I think they do man particularly if nothing got the fawn - then the doe would remember that was a successful place to have a fawn. The last 2 springs a great big momma doe has had a fawn (not twins just 1 big fawn) right behind my house - within 100 yards. Haven't seen her this spring yet, need to look back at the photos to see what day it was. Mid-may anyway. She seems to know the 4-legged predator population is pretty low around my house :lol:

you touch on a good point Joe....this is a great time of year to be out calling for coyotes, anything to keep the predation off the fawns is a good thing in my opinion. I also think its one of the easiest times to get a coyote to come to the calls as well!

I've seen more coyotes cruising around this week than usual.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat May 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Wow, you guys are seeing them early. Central Illinois we don't usually get them on cameras until mid June and around the same time in Northern Illinois. Anytime after Memorial day and I feel their chances are a little bit better for survival. We usually have one or two does a year that have triplets and from what I can see they have them after June 1st. They seem to always survive as well.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon May 22, 2017 5:13 am

Got out for a morning turkey hunt on our land on Friday. Pulled cards on 2 cams I leave out year round. The dates are correct, that would put conception right around October 18th.

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 am

Good info in here, esp Dewey and Joe. There was a study last year showing increased trail camera activity directly coincided with the peak rut. We talked about it with Lindsey Thomas Jr on the podcast we are launching tomorrow.

I have had a hard time pinpointing peak rut in the area I hunt and have been trying to use trailcam pics of bucks on the fall, and fawns in the spring to figure it out.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:59 am

Discovered this little guy at work Friday. We were removing storm damage trees along a brushy field and noticed a doe was creeping around all morning. On a break I looked around and found him keeping cool I'm the shade 8-)

Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 am

Yeah I saw a line of running fawn tracks on Wednesday (5/17) It musta been clipping right along. So not just a new born.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 am

I see a couple fawns every year while I wade a river walleye fishing. Always pretty cool cause you can usually get close to them before they walk away. Nice and thick river bottom as well. Its where they go to give birth, and where I see the most deer during gun season. Someplace they feel safe and where they won't get bothered by predators. Have seen them on islands as well, but then again, I see more bears, coyotes and squirrels swimming than I see deer.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”