January 3rd 2011 Deer Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

January 3rd 2011 Deer Movement

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:14 am

Eluded a little to this on the 2nd season hunting reports thread regarding increase of deer movement.

Four bucks visited this camera station this day between 8:30 am and 10:00am with (3) being new bucks. The 8 pointer shown 1st was/is a frequent visitor and I didn't hunt there because I didn't think he was quite large enough.

These are not big bucks compared to what some of you shoot but (2) of them (last pictures) would have probably gotten an arrow from me here in Northern WI during the late season. I was just happy to see pictures of bucks with headgear. Only had one other buck, small fork horn in a different area, known to still carry this late in the season.

I guess the question is, why the sudden increase of deer movement in daylight from (3) bucks that never shown in this area before the 3rd of January?

One picture is a group of does that were pretty constant visitors all the time; so no surprise at their showing. Just showing they decided to move with-in this time frame also.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: January 3rd 2011 Deer Movement

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures!! I would have to guess that maybe there was a front coming in or the moon guide has them moving around that time of the day. Maybe a predator bumped them from there bedding. Whatever it was that had them moving at that time of the day is interesting thats for sure!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:33 pm

That is interesting .I woulda guessed mabey a front coming in also. With the conifer cover you got there mabey there was a shift to find some protective cover from a less protected area they have been hanging in.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Peak moon movement on Jan. 3rd was 11:32 AM. IT WAS 10:36am the day before.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm

dan wrote:Peak moon movement on Jan. 3rd was 11:32 AM. IT WAS 10:36am the day before.

Very well could be the moon.

Also checked the weather for that day and the wind was going all directions starting about 9:00am. Maybe this got them up on their feet to seek a different bedding area? Bedding is on private and this camera is darn close to the property line.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... &year=2011

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”