Does RECOVERY effect your choice of spots?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:18 am

My son and I went out looking for sheds and to get our stands out of the woods. The buck had been using a trail we made pretty good this past season and hoped we would find some sheds. I also wanted to see where and why they were using it. Come to find it leads back to a small wet area. The ridge we are on (with a ridge to both sides looks like a 3finger Y) takes us right back to the area a pretty steep hill down but we found a OLD logging path to the bottom. Most of the buck signs are up on the ridge but you can make out deer trail that come off the ridge to the bottom. The ground is frozen so you cant make any new tracks but there are old ones that look pretty big. I hunt mostly alone and have always thought how am I going to get a deer out of here if I get a big one.
So does the recovery of your deer play into your choice hunting location or will you deal with that when it happen.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Does RECOVERY effect your choice of spots?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 am

I think about, it but it don't really affect where I hunt. I have a neighbor, that has always offered to help drag out of the swamp. Haven't had to use him yet, and I think if I ever do, I'll only get to use him once. :lol:
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 am

Not for me but thats pry because im young yet and like the adventure of dragging my trophy with some friends in the middle of the night. And if i compare the work of dragging it out to the work I put in to kill it, its not a big deal
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 am

Recovery is something I only think about after the kill, never have worried about it before I kill something because I have alot of friends that are ready and willing to help drag.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:11 am

I have thought about it in the past...not so much now

I have an ATV to help with the recovery...
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 am

Getting them out is the easy part. I worry about it after I kill one, which is the hard part.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:56 am

Many of the spots I hunt would be a nightmare to get a deer out of. Because of this I will not shoot an antlerless deer and if it is a buck it will have to be larger than any I have ever shot before. After helping to get a deer out of a cattail marsh mostly going thru three feet of water and muck most guys are not quite so willing to help next time. :roll:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 am

Not at all... But it does help dictate what size and sex of animal I shoot.
I have spent a few nights dragging deer through swamps till almost dawn. You don't get big bucks year after year in pressured areas by being passive.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 am

Same here Dan and Dewey, I only shoot mature bucks way back and take out a doe as close to the road as possible. I've got a list of guys I can call to help drag if needed so I don't think about it until after the shot.

I certainly do have a few spots that will be a nightmare drag but most of the time it's a lot worse to think about the drag then actually doing the work. And if we are talking about a nice buck you should have tons of energy after you find him down!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:38 am

Haus86 wrote:Getting them out is the easy part. I worry about it after I kill one, which is the hard part.
x2!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 am

NOt me either. Were I hunt there is a river that snakes througout the cattails. That make it easier.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:09 am

In short, no. It will be about 9 months before I'm in the woods with bow in hand again and missing it already.

If in a difficult location, taking a few extra hours to drag a deer out is icing on the cake....I wish I could have spent half a night/day doing it this year, no kill this year. :roll:
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:32 am

I agree with pretty much everyone else..Killing them is the hard part - Id worry about what happens next after that.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 am

After you watch a Benoit video, and watching how they get them out, probably nothing I do will ever compare.

Shoot that big buck and ask questions later...I wouldn't care if I had to take it out in pieces. (it has never come to that for me yet) There is always a way, it might be hard and take all day or night, but there is always a way. Plus the high of getting a nice buck gives you incredible energy levels. :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:37 pm

I don't think about the recovery, but like others said it will affect the size standards of the animal I am willing to take.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”