Beast Kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Beast Kill

Unread postby naternate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:27 pm

I am fairly new to this forum and love all the info that I have found here and from watching Dan's DVD. Looking back I wish I had found this a looooooong time ago. I am a self taught bowhunter....started hunting with a bow at 13 (parents would not allow guns) and have learned a lot of hard lessons over the years. Books, magazines, and now the internet have shaped how I hunted over the years. The first hunting book I ever owned was written by the Wensel brothers and I wore it out in my younger years. I have hunted private land a few times but 99% of my hunting has been on public land in southern and now southwest MI. I have always spent a lot of time scouting and it has evolved from just walking randomly through the woods to looking for transition lines, funnels, bedding areas and such. Now I have shifted my focus to finding buck beds and laying out a plan to kill a particular buck. I figured I would post up a Beast kill I made in 2013, before I actual knew how to scout and setup on a single buck. I would like to think there was some skill involved in this but I realize I also got a little lucky on this as well.

It started with scouting on Google maps for likely looking spots. I have always liked fingers that stuck out into swamps for hunting and I came across that particular setup in an area I hunt. I had scouted very close to this previously but never spotted that particular finger. When I came across it I could just imagine that a buck would be bedded in the swamp just off the finger and I could maybe catch him as he got up in the evening. It is an overlooked spot (until someone found it last year and cut a huge path to it) that is only 100-150 yrds off the road as the crow flys. I never had a chance to put boots on the ground but it looked like a good setup.

I finally got a chance to hunt it on Oct 24th. It was a little warm that day but there was a 10-15mph wind out of the North. I figured this would be a good wind for this setup blowing my scent over some open marsh grass. I hunt mobile with the Lone wolf and stick so the wind would be good cover for any sound. I took my time getting in and setting up but once in the stand I noticed the wind was now from the NW. Not what I really wanted but I was already there. Saw no deer movement most of the sit and thought it was a bust. Then I heard a deer get up about 50yrds away and started heading my way. My watch said 15mins left of shooting time. The deer slowly made its way onto the tip of the finger and I could see it would make my 8pt limit. He only needed to come 15-20 yrds up the finger for me to shoot but he took his time browsing. He turned broadside at 25yrds and I looked at my watch....2 mins till close. I went through my shot sequence and the lighted nock buried halfway in his chest. He took off and I got worried because I could see my arrow waving into the brush and it has been a while since I didn't get a pass through. I waited till the next morning and found him 40yrds from the shot. Perfect heart shot but it hit the off leg and didn't pass through.

This is one of the most memorable hunt I have had. The feeling of a hunt coming together as you imagined it is the best. Sorry for the long read but I like to tell a story LOL. Thank-you Dan and all the members here for the advice you share. This is a great forum. No egos just people sharing info to help their fellow hunters. Hopefully I can post a true Beast kill in the future.
Nate

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Beast Kill

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Nice!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Congrats, nice write up too.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:59 pm

:clap: :clap:
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Super job!! Welcome and keep them coming :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Well done and nice story
Aim small miss small
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Welcome! Great write up and nice buck. Well done!

I can relate to others finding your spots sometimes. Keep on trunkin'!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Nice!! Thanks for sharing.
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 am

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. I like these stories this time of year. Sparks the deer hunting fire back up.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 am

Awesome mark up and nice buck! Welcome!

What are the wensel brothers all about? My father in law has talked about them I think.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:10 am

Nice kill and write-up!! Congratulations!! :clap:
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 am

Welcome and nice kill
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am

Congrats... 8-)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 am

Spectacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am

:clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”