Hunting dense fog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Hunting dense fog

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea in theory it makes sense that deer might move later in thick fog but I just haven't seen that happen. In reality I think fog makes them a bit nervous for whatever reason, maybe just because its infrequent and strange, and they are more likely to stay bedded through the fog. Bucks, does, everything. Birds and small mammals move less too I think.

That's just what I see. I have heard from people in other parts of the country who report better movement...does it vary regionally? Not sure.

I haven't sat out the fog very often just to see if deer move more after it lifts. I don't know about that.

Thanks joe. I'm happy you commented and gave me your thoughts on this. For whatever reason. I Thought of you being a hill country hunter and youd have some good insight to this.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 am

I've hunted in the fog, but never killed in the fog....I hate driving in dense fog during the rut, it's only a matter of time before you tattoo one :lol:
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:15 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've hunted in the fog, but never killed in the fog....I hate driving in dense fog during the rut, it's only a matter of time before you tattoo one :lol:

:lol: :lol: that's true.. Hopefully not!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:19 am

One of my last WI gun season openers was in thick fog. I think it was 2009, anybody remember that opener?

Half hour before sunrise conditions were clear, cool, calm and perfect for the gun opener, then a thick dense fog rolled in right before sunrise and stayed put till noon. Didn't hear many shots that morning 8-)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Twice I've shot nices bucks in the am after the fog lifted late in the morning. Both were late October and both times I had trouble finding my stand in the dark going in because the fog was so thick. Your flash light beam just bounces of the thick fog.Last year I was hunting Ohio late January and there was a very thick fog in the morning. After the fog lifted late morning I saw a bachelor group of 5 bucks out feeding in a picked corn field. They were to far away for a shot. I would hunt foggy mornings again. I'm not sure if it confuses them or they lay close to the feeding areas waiting for it to leave.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Twice I've shot nices bucks in the am after the fog lifted late in the morning. Both were late October and both times I had trouble finding my stand in the dark going in because the fog was so thick. Your flash light beam just bounces of the thick fog.Last year I was hunting Ohio late January and there was a very thick fog in the morning. After the fog lifted late morning I saw a bachelor group of 5 bucks out feeding in a picked corn field. They were to far away for a shot. I would hunt foggy mornings again. I'm not sure if it confuses them or they lay close to the feeding areas waiting for it to leave.

Thanks for the reply Hawthorne.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm

john1984 wrote:One of my last WI gun season openers was in thick fog. I think it was 2009, anybody remember that opener?

Half hour before sunrise conditions were clear, cool, calm and perfect for the gun opener, then a thick dense fog rolled in right before sunrise and stayed put till noon. Didn't hear many shots that morning 8-)

Hmm :think: hard to remember back to that day.

Why do you say one of my last wi gun season openers? Do you not gun hunt anymore?
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:16 pm

It seems like deer in general are more vocal on foggy mornings
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 am

Nocturnal wrote:
john1984 wrote:One of my last WI gun season openers was in thick fog. I think it was 2009, anybody remember that opener?

Hmm :think: hard to remember back to that day.

Why do you say one of my last wi gun season openers? Do you not gun hunt anymore?

..... Yeah went bow only after 09. I was pretty excited that Thursday nite 7 or 8 years ago, I laughed when the dense fog overcame everything, I could hear deer walking close to me but I couldn't see more than 15 or 20 yards. That time stuck in my foggy brain for some reason or another

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”