Small or big properties

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Small or big properties

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 am

It all depends on hunting pressure. Most of the public I hunt is at least 20,000 acres. I prefer large acreage so I have plenty of options but won't ignore a small chunk of land if there is no hunting pressure. Those are getting harder and harder to find every year with the amount of easy info available for public hunting land. In the past you really had to work hard to find this stuff but now with the internet and mapping chips that info is now right at our fingertips.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 am

It seems like even when I find big pieces of property, I end up finding the best sign closer to the edges than the middle. Also, sometimes small properties are "overlooked" because everyone else think there's high pressure. I had my best action last year less than 200 yards from roads!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:11 am

I prefer bigger pieces of property, but the majority of the private land I hunt is smaller 5-80 acre parcels. What all these small parcels have in common is they are either part of or in very close proximity to larger adjoining pieces of property. These bigger pieces of property are more likely to produce and safeguard mature bucks as compared to smaller outlier properties that get more pressure.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 am

Hawthorne wrote:Small properties in the right location can be real good. Some of the biggest bucks shot in Michigan are on small private pieces within urban areas. Those areas usually have parks and anti hunters creating sancuarys for deer to grow old. The public I hunt is thousands of acres. I think the trick is finding the small overlooked pockets that aren't hunted or areas where the bucks are skirting other hunters not far from the beds.

X2!!!!!

When looking at these smaller chunks. You really have to look at the big picture. How does the small piece play into whats around it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 am

I prefer 25k+ acres with limited access points and limited human trails (hiking, atv, two tracks etc...). Tons of guys will walk a mile or two down a trail, very few will go over a 1/4 off the beaten path.

Small properties can be good but I simply do not prefer them.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:14 am

I prefer big. So I can roam where I want. But lately it's been all smalls. with even smaller actual buck holding areas.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 am

Il take the small properties
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't care the size long as it has the right stuff to make bucks feel safe and keep other predators out except me!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I'd prefer big but often have to settle for smaller parcels. I believe deer grow bigger on bigger parcels "in general" there are many factors to argue this but most small places in my areas, big bucks may not live on them. Just travel through.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm

As others have mentioned whichever allows me to get away from other hunters.

Definately depends on terrain. A 40 acre peice of flat land holds a lot less than one with a lot of terrain features. Cover has a huge role as well. The more transitions the better. If its 1000 acres of only mature hardwoods....that's pretty crappy. So terrain and cover come first in my opinion then I look at size...
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I prefer big public in PA because I don't have to worry about the bucks I'm after bedding and spending their daylight activities on private ground I can't be on. The public around me is big swamps and I'm more comfortable on that than small tracts of private. I have permission on lots of small tracts of private around my house but I'm limited to much on them, so I go to the public 90% of the time over private.
Aim small miss small
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 pm

the small properties I prefer are the ones the owner owns small amount but its part of a bigger piece. these are the ones people seem to over look. or the tiny public area with horrible access(for the hunter). not necessarily bad though just lot of work. the huge pieces or easy access pieces seem to attract the majority of hunters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”