Mock Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Mock Scrapes

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 am

I'm thinking about making a mock scrape on a bench I plan on hunting this year to help monitor deer movement through the bench during the season. I would appreciate any tips on when you're making them, how you're making them, general do's and don'ts. Thanks!

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Mock Scrapes

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 am

I don't do them often, but when I do... I almost always do a mock scrape in conjunction with a licking branch. Those can be done numerous ways, and some can be permanent so time of year isn't important. The easiest way is to cut a small branch off a hardwood such as an oak. I try to pick one with a Y in it near the cut. I find a horizontal branch and hang the y of the cut branch over it and lash it together with a piece of twine or paracord. I then scrape the ground to expose fresh dirt and call it done.
You can also use a large diameter Manila or Hemp rope. Tie the top off to a branch, wrap electrical tape real rightly a few inches above the bottom, and fray the bottom few inches. Some people stiffen the rope by feeding a fiberglass rod through the center. Pre-orbital gland oil goes on the rope, and interdigital gland oil goes below in the scrape. The lures aren't required, but can speed up usage.

I don't use licking branches much, but will be experimenting with it some this year.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 am

i have had much better luck using a trail camera over an existing scrape than over a mock scrape. I have messed around with doctoring existing scrapes/licking branches up with preorbital scent and I couldnt really notice any difference in amount of use by the deer. The biggest spike in activity I am pretty sure was caused by the pre-rut occuring, not the scent that I was putting out.
The best pictures and most scrape activity has always occured late september thru early nov. Limited success during the summer months.

I tried to set up some mock scrapes last year in June-July and they got nearly zero attention. I have not tried it but I think if you set up a mock scrape in october, you would have much better results.

I also think putting up mock scrapes can really over-tempt me to get too close to good bedding. I am going lower pressure this year, I don't need to be stinking up a good area just to get pics. I will put more trust in my off season scouting and only walk in places where I wont be making the deer wonder whats up. Not trying to say what you should or shouldnt do. Just kind of thinking out loud here about my own spots.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:27 am

JMAR85 wrote:I'm thinking about making a mock scrape on a bench I plan on hunting this year to help monitor deer movement through the bench during the season. I would appreciate any tips on when you're making them, how you're making them, general do's and don'ts. Thanks!

When I was hunting steeper terrain, I had the best luck using young oak trees when I can find them cause they have more supple branches and are a preferred species. Also, putting it next to a trail or trail intersection so it's visible rather than randomly on a large bench seems to work best too. I'll take the lowest branches and snap/hang them so that they're 3-1/2 to 4 ft high and remove any leaves so it looks like a worked kicking branch. I like to use the Smokey's orbital lure. Scrape the ground and urinate in it a little. For whatever reason, human urine seems to work just fine as a scrape starter.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 am

Having said that, I haven't had hardly any luck with mock scrapes now that I'm living in farm country. And the one's I've monitored since moving haven't been as regularly active unless they're on Ag field edges.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:39 am

Cuzzinfish wrote:
JMAR85 wrote:I'm thinking about making a mock scrape on a bench I plan on hunting this year to help monitor deer movement through the bench during the season. I would appreciate any tips on when you're making them, how you're making them, general do's and don'ts. Thanks!

When I was hunting steeper terrain, I had the best luck using young oak trees when I can find them cause they have more supple branches and are a preferred species. Also, putting it next to a trail or trail intersection so it's visible rather than randomly on a large bench seems to work best too. I'll take the lowest branches and snap/hang them so that they're 3-1/2 to 4 ft high and remove any leaves so it looks like a worked kicking branch. I like to use the Smokey's orbital lure. Scrape the ground and urinate in it a little. For whatever reason, human urine seems to work just fine as a scrape starter.

Urine is sterile and the scent stays much longer than your ground scent. Once your ground scent wears off, all they can tell is "something" urinated there. They can't distinguish it as human.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:09 am

IkemanTx wrote:
Cuzzinfish wrote:

Urine is sterile and the scent stays much longer than your ground scent. Once your ground scent wears off, all they can tell is "something" urinated there. They can't distinguish it as human.

Thanks. That makes sense. I just never looked into it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 am

I did some tests in my back yard with some great results. Just scraped them up with a stick and put a little headgear scent in them. First year was a little slow with smaller bucks and does. The following years had a lot of visits by mature bucks so I think once you get them going and keep them going a little bit the deer know and they visit them steady. Never got any daylight photos of bucks but this location isn't a good one for daylight movement. Cameras all died so I haven't monitored it in a couple of years but I kept it open and the deer were using it and making some rubs in the area. I do think location is key, it has to be in a location were the deer are traveling anyway or near where mature bucks might show up in daylight.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 am

Thanks for all the input. I have a good spot in mind on the bench where a few trails intersect. There's a young poplar there with a branch about 6' up. I was considering pulling it down and tying it off about chest height. I was hoping to make the scrape sometime during the summer and not coming back until I actually hunt it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:45 am

JMAR85 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I have a good spot in mind on the bench where a few trails intersect. There's a young poplar there with a branch about 6' up. I was considering pulling it down and tying it off about chest height. I was hoping to make the scrape sometime during the summer and not coming back until I actually hunt it.

Just bend the tips til they crack and stay a little lower. Mash the very ends with a pair of pliers. This helps to get the scent to retain longer. Put some POG on the mashed tips. Many times deer, especially bucks. Will rise on their back legs to work licking branches. This will also be less obvious to any other hunters.

Then do the scrape thing. I know not many believe in using scent/odor control on here. But in this situation IMHO. At least wearing rubber boots and gloves helps. The gloves keep the oils from the skin from getting on the branches while applying mashing and applying the POG.

If you have a cam put it up and leave it alone until your 1st hunt.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:35 am

Key with mock scrapes seems to be put them in spots where a regular scrape should be. Trail intersection, thermal hub, that sort of thing. A spot where you would put a billboard if you were a deer.

I have had good luck just pulling a higher branch down to the proper height and tethering it with wire. That way the branch stays alive and hopefully functional all fall. Clear the area underneath, maybe pee in it and that's it.

I have been fascinated how deer react to human urine. A person would think it wouldn't attract a wary old buck but usually multiple deer, including any big bucks around, hit the scrape within 1-2 days if I do that. They have to smell my human ground scent at that point yet their curiosity gets the best of them I guess. If I don't do that, there usually is less action the first day or two. It definitely attracts them. Long term I don't think it has an impact either way, but it sure seems to jump start activity.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:37 pm

JoeRE wrote:Key with mock scrapes seems to be put them in spots where a regular scrape should be. Trail intersection, thermal hub, that sort of thing. A spot where you would put a billboard if you were a deer.

I have had good luck just pulling a higher branch down to the proper height and tethering it with wire. That way the branch stays alive and hopefully functional all fall. Clear the area underneath, maybe pee in it and that's it.

I have been fascinated how deer react to human urine. A person would think it wouldn't attract a wary old buck but usually multiple deer, including any big bucks around, hit the scrape within 1-2 days if I do that. They have to smell my human ground scent at that point yet their curiosity gets the best of them I guess. If I don't do that, there usually is less action the first day or two. It definitely attracts them. Long term I don't think it has an impact either way, but it sure seems to jump start activity.

I was considering pulling the higher branch down and tying it off too. What time of year are you making yours?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:54 pm

JMAR85 wrote:
I was considering pulling the higher branch down and tying it off too. What time of year are you making yours?

Usually I make mine any time from late August to early October and leave it for a month sometimes all fall. Tying it off with light wire seems to really work well. Invisible to other hunters unless they are feet away and also squirrels don't chew wire :lol: Just remember to take it down when you are done, don't girdle the tree by leaving the wire out there.

I have tinkered with cameras on licking branches in the spring and summer but I can get more consistent pics just putting the camera on food or maybe a waterhole outside of the fall. Making the scrape in early fall doesn't seem to have an impact IMO.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Will admit I haven't read all the posts yet.

I am no pro, but they work well for me.

I put mine where deer would probably put them. Somewhere deer are going to be. And like was said, I make sure there is a branch above them.

I rip mine open right around the time horns get hard....Maybe a little before that.

I use a climbing stick to rip the ground open and move debris out of my way. I always have one with me because that's how I hang/check my cameras...

I am pretty certain a scrape without urine will do just fine if it's on location. But I typically pee in the scrape after I'm done..It doesn't bother the deer...

That "scrape" was made by me..I believe it was within a half hour of me leaving that the buck came through...Can't remember but it wasn't long..As you can tell by my puddle. Lol. There was nothing there before I made it.

I almost always have my cameras over a scrape. Usually a "mock" scrape because they go up before the deer kick open most of their own...They take a heck of an inventory if they are in the right spot...And they typically spend some time there so you get some different profiles and almost always get some clear pics. I've gotten coon, coyote and fox as well. Not sure if it's the salt or if they are just checking out what all the fuss is about or what.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”