I quit...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

I quit...

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 am

I was going to go out and give it one more try today and track down a buck to kill. But just couldn't bring myself to do it. Enough have been killed here. I also have the option of getting a private land tag for Daves farm and continueing the hunt for the huge 8 pointer, but I feel he beet me again this year fair and square.
Time to start scouting for me.

huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: I quit...

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 am

same here, i was going to go out tonight and give it one last shot..but after hunting all here and killing 3 bucks, im going to let the land rest..even though im definelty not sick of hunting, id rather save my energy and start finding those sheds!
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am

I did my first scouting bush today and found no beds but some huge rubs. Wasn't really expecting much from this bush but it was just down the road.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 am

I had a hard time getting out for the holiday hunt or late bow.just wouldnt feel right shooting a big buck jan 10th to end of march.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 pm

I have one sit left in the metro unit. My I'm setting up my lone wolf at the end of a thick narrow funnel and my girlfriend is going to push through bedding area on the opposite end hopefully I can stick a last minute doe. All my venison is gone and I'm still hungry!!! I wrapped it up in Oneida county though. I wasted my time sitting thursday afternoon. Our trail cam pics show bucks that have clearly shed already. I spent some time looking for sheds. I found a few beds and some good trails as well as lots of canine sign...time to thin the predator numbers :twisted:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Supposed to go to Illinois for a last minute hunt on Tuesday....hope they all haven't shed already.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:39 pm

I am done after today as well. Didn't get a deer this year but I have no regrets since I had plenty of chances at smaller bucks that I passed on and decided before the season that I wasn't going to shoot any antlerless deer unless it was later in the late season.

I was holding out for a buck over 130" and saw 7 that were "shooters". This season I saw more mature bucks than ever before and that is enough satisfaction for me that I don't feel bad not scoring on one. Of the 7 mature bucks I saw 4 of them were within 25 yards but I couldn't get a good shot angle on any of them. I'm very critical of my shot angles and don't like to force a low percentage shot.

Since I shot decent bucks the last few seasons on public land I feel fine about passing on all of the smaller bucks I saw. Killing a larger buck on public land every year is very hard to do but the only way it will happen is if you pass on lot's of smaller bucks and are willing to eat tag soup once in awhile.

Next weekend I start my post season scouting and I am already planning for next season. Good luck to everone who is still hunting. :)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Ya I wanted a late season doe, but have been just to busy to get out there. Oh well them does can all deliver their fawns and that will help boost the population in my area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”