Western wisconi deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Western wisconi deer

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am

In 3 nights at work I watched every video dan has on his youtube, and listened to every podcast.
Cant help you on Wisc., but we want your job!!! :lol: :lol:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

I hunt Sawyer county every day of the fall. There is some big ones there but not as many as you would think. It is very rewarding when you do connect. That being said, my two brothers and I are going to hunt a friends farm near Lacrosse this fall. A big buck here is nothing to even look at down there.
Big Ben

Unread postby Big Ben » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 am

creepingdeth wrote:In 3 nights at work I watched every video dan has on his youtube, and listened to every podcast.
Cant help you on Wisc., but we want your job!!! :lol: :lol:

Lol ya love my job working for the railroad. More down time than I know what to do with. I use about 70 gb of data a month watching YouTube videos. Thank God for unlimited data!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am

Big Ben wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:I agree with what everyone else has said. More public will be to the north but if you are after a big buck your odds are going to decrease the farther north you go for the most part.

I would recommend the onX hunt app if you don't have it already to tell you all of the public land in Wisconsin.

I'm not a whole lot of help on the leases as far as price but if you've got the coin that will be your best bet to finding some good hunting. I would focus more to the south for a lease if it was me.

Thanks with the onx hunt app tip.. I'll have to buy that! I currently use the huntstand app. I like it but it doesn't show mfl or county public land...it only shows the big name public pieces. Do you know if onx shows mfl areas before I buy the app?

It shows mfl, county, federal, state, you name it. It also shows private land open to public that plat books don't show. It's pretty impressive
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 am

Jonny wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
SRWbowhunter wrote:I hunt sawyer co (nnw wi) and Richland co (sw) the the difference in not only number of deer overall but also the size/ number of mature bucks is significant. Like others mentioned there is a lot more public ground up north.

Thanks for the replies guys...so are you saying Sawyer or Richland county is better?? I hope you meant Sawyer because that will be closer for me...I've already seen on a map and looked at aerial of all the public land in rusk county which is right by Sawyer county.
And yes I plan on buying the hill country and marsh/ swamp bedding dvds!

Richland would be better. Sawyer is very low density. One of the buck only counties in wisconsin.

And welcome to the beast!

Yep Richland would put you into more big bucks. Sawyer is low density but you do have a ton of room to roam with all the county land
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm

SRWbowhunter wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
SRWbowhunter wrote:I hunt sawyer co (nnw wi) and Richland co (sw) the the difference in not only number of deer overall but also the size/ number of mature bucks is significant. Like others mentioned there is a lot more public ground up north.

Thanks for the replies guys...so are you saying Sawyer or Richland county is better?? I hope you meant Sawyer because that will be closer for me...I've already seen on a map and looked at aerial of all the public land in rusk county which is right by Sawyer county.
And yes I plan on buying the hill country and marsh/ swamp bedding dvds!

Richland would be better. Sawyer is very low density. One of the buck only counties in wisconsin.

And welcome to the beast!

Yep Richland would put you into more big bucks. Sawyer is low density but you do have a ton of room to roam with all the county land

All depends on what you are after. Some prefer more deer, and some prefer the solitude of very few hunters and more public land. Just wish I could find both :lol

But either way, you need to put the work in to find the big bucks. Wouldn't say one is easier than the other though. Just depends on who you are and what your goals are. If you want the best chance to shoot a 4 year old buck, not many would say you should go hunt sawyer county
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 pm

It's a great area ... like Dan said 3.5 should be 120-140 and very doable on public land in western wi. A 4.5 or better is going to be quite a bit tougher but with enough scouting and boot leather is attainable. I've seen some giants come from public in that area .

I love the Rut in the hills like that but would probably concentrate more on river bottoms/swamps/ marsh early season.
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:21 am

Jonny wrote:It shows mfl, county, federal, state, you name it. It also shows private land open to public that plat books don't show. It's pretty impressive

Here's a second for the OnX Hunt app. I've used it for two years and wouldn't be without it. You'll never have doubt whether you're on land that's accessible or private/off limits.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 am

Steve Heiting wrote:
Jonny wrote:It shows mfl, county, federal, state, you name it. It also shows private land open to public that plat books don't show. It's pretty impressive

Here's a second for the OnX Hunt app. I've used it for two years and wouldn't be without it. You'll never have doubt whether you're on land that's accessible or private/off limits.

X3

I rely on the OnX Hunt App when I'm on public land adventures, and when you're on the road and hopping from piece to piece that you've never walked before it becomes extremely important. While the lines aren't 100% exact, they ARE within yards and I've learned you can usually distinguish the line when you come upon it so long as OnX tells you it's near.

I also use it, along with GIS interactive mapping, to determine parcel owners for seeking permission on private lands.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 am

Sam Ubl wrote:
Steve Heiting wrote:

X3

I rely on the OnX Hunt App when I'm on public land adventures, and when you're on the road and hopping from piece to piece that you've never walked before it becomes extremely important. While the lines aren't 100% exact, they ARE within yards and I've learned you can usually distinguish the line when you come upon it so long as OnX tells you it's near.

I also use it, along with GIS interactive mapping, to determine parcel owners for seeking permission on private lands.

How's your success on getting permission? There's a couple pieces owned by older ladies that I might go ask for permission. Feel like those might be easier to get especially if I offer to do some yard work or something
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Honestly, I find the older they are the harder it is to gain permission. First, they're often retired and are home often. Being home they like to watch and feed the deer by their bird feeders, and someone pulling in to hunt is both intrusive to their world and you're trying to kill their pets. This is my common dilemma with elderly. The other piece is that those who are very old usually have a caretaker there, like a son or daughter, and they're protective and usually say no. Don't know why, but that's how that goes for me...

Younger couples are at work all day and if they don't hunt it's a 50/50 toss up they either don't like hunting or they are totally okay with it. That 50% that are okay with it usually have a 99% chance they're already letting a friend or co-worker hunt it. That still leaves the one percent who might give you the time.

I get excited when I find lots that don't have a home on it and are owned by someone who either: (a) lives out of state; or (b) lives in a another city away from where the land your seeking permission is. In those cases it's often easier to break the ice and offer to watch over the property in their absense. They let you hunt, you keep them informed on their property and take care of it, leaving it cleaner on your way out then when you arrived each visit.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:41 pm

There are big bucks in St. Croix, Pierce, Pepin counties. Just gotta get after them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 am

Crazinamatese wrote:There are big bucks in St. Croix, Pierce, Pepin counties. Just gotta get after them.

St.Croix and Pepin yes, but nothing to see or kill in Pierce;)
Big Ben

Unread postby Big Ben » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:There are big bucks in St. Croix, Pierce, Pepin counties. Just gotta get after them.

St.Croix and Pepin yes, but nothing to see or kill in Pierce;)

Haha. I'll make sure to stay far away from that county then!! :liar:
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:29 am

Jonny wrote:How's your success on getting permission? There's a couple pieces owned by older ladies that I might go ask for permission. Feel like those might be easier to get especially if I offer to do some yard work or something

Most of my hunting is on public lands. However, if I'm looking for permission to hunt private property and the land abuts roadways, now is the time to ask permission. Why? Offer to walk their roadsides and clean up the garbage drivers throw out the window, in exchange for hunting in the fall. The roadside mess is always at its worst in the spring after snowmelt but before the grass starts growing, and picking it up usually only takes a couple hours -- but it goes a LONG way.

A clincher is to offer to dispose of the garbage yourself rather than leaving the bags at their doorstep.

I have no idea why drivers think it's perfectly okay to chuck trash out the window. I'll probably never figure that out ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”