Do you set up in the bed or outside it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matlocc

Do you set up in the bed or outside it?

Unread postby matlocc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 am

:?: Found a bed in the swamp, only one trail in and out to it. Do you sneak in early in the morning and set up in the tree over the bed or outside at the end of the trail where it enters the transition?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Do you set up in the bed or outside it?

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 am

matlocc wrote::?: Found a bed in the swamp, only one trail in and out to it. Do you sneak in early in the morning and set up in the tree over the bed or outside at the end of the trail where it enters the transition?

I set up on the exit trail in the evening... In the morning I would set up straight down wind along the natural openings funneling towards the bed.
matlocc

Unread postby matlocc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:55 am

So I shouldn't even venture into the bed? There is only one way in and out (according to the trail I found, there are none leaving the bed except one.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:23 am

matlocc wrote:So I shouldn't even venture into the bed? There is only one way in and out (according to the trail I found, there are none leaving the bed except one.

Single bed? Those are tough ones. Areas with a lot of beds in a small area are best. But, to get back to the point, the main trail you see is most likely the exit. Entrance is often hard to notice cause they tend to come in wind to nose which can change daily or even hourly. The biggest exception to that is beds in cattails or similar terrain thats so thick the deer can't blaze a new trail, in which case he takes the most down wind one usually.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”