Bed entry exit trails the same?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Bed entry exit trails the same?

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:19 am

How often are the entry and exit trails the buck uses the same trail?

Been looking at an aerial of a spot I found a bed/s. I can't see any trails coming or going from a couple of directions. Couldn't tell if there where any when scouting either. It was really wet humpy grassy stuff.

The prominent wind for the beds has a trail just like it should be for entry. The first oaks are in a area quartering the wind. But there are no direct trails that way. It looks like they loop in to them. These oaks also have a scrape/licking branch. About 80 yards from the beds.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bed entry exit trails the same?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:10 am

I very seldom, almost never, possibly never, :think: kill a buck on a distinct trail. Bigger bucks just don't follow the norm.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Stanley wrote:I very seldom, almost never, possibly never, :think: kill a buck on a distinct trail. Bigger bucks just don't follow the norm.

This is from a small marsh island. No cattails but really wet with tall marsh grass.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I've seen beds in the marsh with only one trail that went to it and from.Usually it backs into impassable areas. There was a big name on this forum that liked these kinds of beds. There was a thread that talked about them. Might of been PK. Not 100% sure. They called them dead end areas
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:13 pm

It happens... I see it a lot in farm country when they bed hard transitions (field edges) they have the wind blowing at the field, bed the edge where they can see the field, enter from the field, watch the field, get up and enter the field... hard to kill in that situation.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:49 pm

exactly what dan describes is what I deal with on the farm I hunt in Kenosha county. its small woodlots with lots of ag fields and very tough to hunt. this is the only area I see deer bedding this way,and it is so thick its tough to navigate before leaf drop and even then its nearly impossible. its 100% opposite as the farms in western Wisconsin.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:14 am

Thanx!!!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 am

I know of a marsh peninsula that has a primary buck bedroom off the tip. My first time ever hunting it on 10-17-2015 I had no idea where to set up , I just picked a spot on the ground and surprisingly had a 130 class buck less than 20 yards in front of me right after sunset, but I never killed him.

Fast forward to 11-1-2016 I was hunting that same exit trail and it produced for me that day except the buck was not exiting he was entering his bedroom at 3:25pm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”