Scouting from map

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

superblackhawk

Scouting from map

Unread postby superblackhawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm

I seem to find some spots i think look good on the topo, but when i get there its mostly impenetrable (thick stuff). Looks like could be good, but no way to get in.

Any of you guys run into this, and do you just take a machete with you and trail blaze in those instances?

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Re: Scouting from map

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

If its is really that impenetrable, I would just cruise the perimeter of that area and look for access points that a buck may have used. If you find one, follow that. Otherwise move on.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Like Dan says:
"Always and never don't apply to mature bucks."

Sometimes a buck will get deep into the middle of this kind of stuff. If that's what it takes for him to feel secure. I'd dig in. In the least I would suspect doe bedding. Which can help point you to the right place during the rut phases of the hunt.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 am

Sometimes once you get thru the outside perimeter, it's not as bad in the interior of the area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:37 am

tgreeno wrote:Sometimes once you get thru the outside perimeter, it's not as bad in the interior of the area.

Very good point. Quite often those interior openings are great security bedding. Usually the nastier it is getting in the better the bucks you will find using it.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 am

Studing maps and going to an area has its challenges. Many times you will find it looks different than you pictured. I still enjoying doing it a few times a year. I like to have a plan B and C in case it does not go my way initially.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 am

Something that can really help your satellite interpretation skills is to take gps points and notes when in the field. When you get home upload them and look at them with photos
superblackhawk

Unread postby superblackhawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the input, I'm new at this so much appreciated.

I was marking points on the gps based on topos and it seemed i'd keep running into impassible stuff. No scrapes or beds but i couldnt get in very far. I thougth if i could get in a little ways with out macheteing, i could maybe cut a trail in there and no one would see from the outside, but get me in there...offseason of course.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:54 pm

I bought a pair of Friskars snips. They can cut up to a 3/4" piece of branch. Cuts like butter. They cost about $20 or less. Great investment to help navigate thick cover.

Mostly for pricker bush near me, but helps me to make small trails to near aread I want to hunt or find beds. They will make short work of anything living. Easy to carry too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 pm

If I literally had to chop my way through to get anywhere inside the perimeter of a patch of brush I probably would not bother. A buck isn't going to try and get through if a hunter can't bull his way through OR scoot under.

That's what I usually try to do - crouch down and crawl through at the height of a deer. The thicker the brush, the more clearly defined the trails (rather tunnels) will probably be and you should be able to find those. I get torn up by multi floral rose thorns a few times each spring because I do that somewhere. That is the worst I have see, particularly if you add a few prickly ash and drape a layer of grapevines over the whole thing. A pair of snips helps in those situations no doubt :lol:

If a buck has a big set of antler, that does affect what kind of cover he goes through. It may appear he is in the middle of an impenetrable patch of brush when you bump him - but ever time I have had that happen I looked closer and there were just enough openings wider than his antlers for him to scoot through if he knew what he watched what he was doing. Its simple math, for instance if you literally have 6" gaps in the brush, even 16" wide and 10" tall antlers will not go through. You can't tell that kind of thing from the outside though.

If it is that thick and you are intent on trimming, remember that if there are deer around they are gonna just start using your nice trimmed path.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”