Naming Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Naming Deer

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 am

Why is it, almost every article or podcast the people in the "Industry" or even some of these youtube self filiming hunters are naming deer?

I guess it is the in thing???? I kinda of think its ridiculous myself.

I think what bothers me is they mention the name like everyone else watching / listening knows that buck...

I will say I have heard some creative names, but most are just celebrity rip offs. I guess the 8 pointer and 10 pointer days are gone.

I guess if I was gonna do it, I would have to mimic the Rocky movies franchise.....Yo Adrian!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Naming Deer

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:11 am

We've been doing it for a couple decades now in my family if we have a homebody buck. I think Nana started it with a twisted fork horn she kept calling the DQ buck. It turned out to be a cool looking non-typ and stayed twisted until a neighbor killed it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 am

I do not name them, but if I could come up w cool names I might... really I just think most people get a kick out of it and can be used for quick reference while talking w people about a certain buck.

Though the down side to this or just TC in general can be hunters grow attachments to the animal (guilty). Some good friendships have been ruined bc - "You shot MY deer!" and "Dont shoot this one, this one or that one."
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 am

Darkknight54 wrote:I do not name them, but if I could come up w cool names I might... really I just think most people get a kick out of it and can be used for quick reference while talking w people about a certain buck.

Though the down side to this or just TC in general can be hunters grow attachments to the animal (guilty). Some good friendships have been ruined bc - "You shot MY deer!" and "Dont shoot this one, this one or that one."

Thats a good point, I could see how it would be more personal.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:59 am

I've not really done it. But I could see it being necessary on high quality managed land. The big 10 would be confusing if you actually had a handfull of them running around. If your guiding or have friends that only come hunt for a week or two. A pic and a name is much easier to remember.

I took a pic of a really decent buck on July 4th last year. With my close friends that knew about it. Instead of saying you know the one with a typical left side and non-typical right. It was easier to just say the July 4th buck.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 am

There is something to needing to name them to tell them apart in areas with lots of big bucks I think.

If its your thing do it if not then don't. Really, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet :lol:

I suck at naming deer though. Some guys must stay awake at night to think of of some of the ones I have heard. I have called dozens of bucks loppy or stickers or crabby or the heavy 8. I will save my mental effort for killing him haha...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 am

We also name stands and duck blinds. A lot easier to explain where you are gonna hunt.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:57 am

It's merely a way of identifying deer. Easier than saying " Saw the 10 point buck with one G2 tine shorter than the other". Or you can say "Saw Bo Derek".
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:00 am

Droopy....his right ear droops. If you've seen the new Whitetail Adrenaline dvd you just laughed at this
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:04 am

If I knew of multiple large bucks that I had a history with, I would probably start to ID them by name too. Unfortunately I do not have that problem. :cry: :lol:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:52 am

I have only named one buck in my life. He lived on a remote marsh island and survived many seasons by giving me the slip over and over on that island. I named him Gilligan. :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 am

I think the number of big bucks you are aware of plays heavily on whether or not you need to name them. A few years ago I had "the big 8" and only a couple other shooters. Pretty easy to describe to friends/family what is what. Now I usually have 6-10 bucks that I'm keeping an eye on. It's far simpler to say "slim" rather than "that 140" nine point that doesn't have much mass". I have one that I call the short tined ten. Self explanatory. Another I call "funny" because he has a unique rack. It's easier than saying "that tall narrow 8 with curved g2s."
"The seven" is actually an 8 pointer but I didn't see his 1" g3 the first time I saw him. I noticed he was an 8 on opening day but it's faster and easier to keep calling him the seven rather than "the 1 inch g3 buck" or something similar. Fat Albert is a mature buck with a mediocre 10 point rack and big saggy belly. What would the other option be? "The old saggy bellied ten"?? Fat Albert sounds wayyy better to me. The list goes on....
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

I've got 4 this year. Beavis and butthead. The other two homely and ugly.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 am

They are all the same name to me...

Dead!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 am

Stanley wrote:It's merely a way of identifying deer. Easier than saying " Saw the 10 point buck with one G2 tine shorter than the other". Or you can say "Saw Bo Derek".

I always thought Bo was a typical?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”