Naming Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Re: Naming Deer

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't think it's ridiculous at all to name deer if you hunt with other people. We name all of the shooters we have on camera so we can tell each other what deer we saw without saying, "That heavy 8 point with the right brow tine shorter than the left". I hunt mainly with a buddy and when we see a deer we can call each other on the radio and say "I just saw Rocky" or "Had Casper at 150 yards". It's much easier than naming the same deer over and over every time you see him. We had a 155" 8 point this year that was on the farm. I finally got a shot and hit a twig. When I was walking out and met up with my buddy, all I had to say was "I missed Rocky". Plus, it makes trail cams more fun when we all name deer. I'm glad we name deer and wouldn't want to do it any other way.

rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I had to name this buck because even still today I have no idea how many points he has. I named him "JAWS" for obvious reasons lol.

Here he is a year older this past summer. Still sporting the shark teeth on his left side.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:18 pm

We always name them on the farm we hunt just so everybody knew what buck each other was talking about. And did make it fun to have a history with that certain deer over the years.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:20 am

SidewayZ wrote:I guess if I was gonna do it, I would have to mimic the Rocky movies franchise.....Yo Adrian!!

I echo what a lot of the other comments say. Managing lots of trailcam pics, we started naming mainly out of necessity to simplify ID. On this one farm my family has permission to hunt, there's a paved highway that cuts through part of the property and the deer we see on the other side of the road, very rarely do we see on the main portion of the farm. I went with the Rocky theme naming the bucks we got pics of across the road:

Rocky
Apollo
Mr. T
Paulie
Mickey
...and, yes....even "YoAdrian"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”