Naming Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Naming Deer

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 am

I've named a couple deer I've had history with. As others have said, it's sometimes easier that way.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 am

I will say I think naming deer after professional athletes is stupid. Jay Cutler. Barry Sanders. :roll: The name has to relate to a characteristic of the deer.

Buddy had a buck with crazy mass a few years ago. I named him beefcake. A name like that just fits ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 am

My favorite is Muddy's Peter........the pumpkin eater. :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 am

Dewey wrote:My favorite is Muddy's Peter........the pumpkin eater. :lol:

:lol: that one made me chuckle too. Perfect
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 am

Some of the names are just funny and crazy. I do find it a bit easier to name deer when Im talking with close friends about certain bucks.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am

We never really got big into naming, but a couple bucks on my dad's place are falling into names. When there's 3 decent 8's, a 9, and a 12... you gotta differentiate the 8's somehow. I also think names start to come along with multiple years history with a buck. We had one years ago we named crabclaw because year after year his main beam and last point were always perfectly crabclawed.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:18 pm

I name em. It's an easy way to reference a buck with history with going into incredible detail. And more fun than numbering them.

Ranchero is a whole lot cooler than Buck 657 that youve been tryin to kill for 3 years
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Well for me....the responses have changed my mind somewhat. I thought it was a "Fade" type of deal. But most of that makes sense.

And as Dark Knight says, its more personal which I can dig.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm not overly creative on names. The two I use the most are chainsaw and wood rasp. These names are used for bucks with ruff bases that spread trees
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:It's merely a way of identifying deer. Easier than saying " Saw the 10 point buck with one G2 tine shorter than the other". Or you can say "Saw Bo Derek".

I always thought Bo was a typical?

I was thinking 10.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 am

We name them just for identifying purposes. My good buddy was after a buck a couple years ago and jokingly named him "Your Mom" :lol: That was the running joke all summer "Can't wait to ram a shaft into your mom..." "Your mom sure has a nice rack" and on and on :mrgreen: My buddy ended up killing him the first day. I think the text he sent me was "I just slammed your mom!!" HAHAHA :lol:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 am

flinginairos wrote:We name them just for identifying purposes. My good buddy was after a buck a couple years ago and jokingly named him "Your Mom" :lol: That was the running joke all summer "Can't wait to ram a shaft into your mom..." "Your mom sure has a nice rack" and on and on :mrgreen: My buddy ended up killing him the first day. I think the text he sent me was "I just slammed your mom!!" HAHAHA :lol:

Did he end up mounting "your mom"? :lol:
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
flinginairos wrote:We name them just for identifying purposes. My good buddy was after a buck a couple years ago and jokingly named him "Your Mom" :lol: That was the running joke all summer "Can't wait to ram a shaft into your mom..." "Your mom sure has a nice rack" and on and on :mrgreen: My buddy ended up killing him the first day. I think the text he sent me was "I just slammed your mom!!" HAHAHA :lol:

Lol he really wanted to mount your mom but he hasn't done it yet. Maybe one day your mom will get mounted LOL
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

If you have enough bucks to name it is a good thing. And way easier to separate. You can try other things but a name is almost easier to remember.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm

flinginairos wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:

Lol he really wanted to mount your mom but he hasn't done it yet. Maybe one day your mom will get mounted LOL

EPIC! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”