What Discourages You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

What Discourages You?

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 am

So I am sitting here in Lala land at work. Have not had a customer in hours. And I was just thinking about my past deer hunting season. And one of my New Years Resolutions this year was to hunt every single day I intended to hunt.

I made this resolution because quite a few times, in the last 2 years, I went out to hunt and for one reason or another, after an hour, or hours of walking around aimlessly I would get so frustrated and just say forget it I am going back to my car and I am going home.

Does this happen to any of you guys at all? I feel like I am the only one. I have such a hard time being bad at something. Or should I say I have a hard time being NEW to something. lol I feel like most of you beasts make the best out of any situation even if its a disaster.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE being out in the woods. But once I am in one of those moods, I tend to shut down lol. And then what used to be one of my favorite things to do can become something I dread lol. I dont want any "bad" memories of the woods.

So lets hear it. Any one have any epic fail stories? Just figured we could all learn from some of our miscues!

Dewey

Re: What Discourages You?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:33 am

If your not having fun take a break for a day or two. Hunting non-productive spots can really wear you down. Personally if I'm having a tough stretch I don't just give up but do some in season scouting instead. Can't tell you how many times this has saved the season for me. It only takes a few seconds for your season to turn around.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 am

When hunts go bad, and they often do I try and turn them into scouting missions, this happens a lot when you go in blind or don't have a plan. You can still try and scout and learn in season and if you aren't worried about burning up the area then you can really learn a lot. We all get frustrated from time to time but you have to make the most of it.

Many times I have blown bucks out of their beds, you either look at something like that as a total failure or a complete success, it all depends on your point of view. Ya you could get down on yourself and beat yourself up over it by why? Even when I totally mess up I like to stay positive, I was on the buck, I got within 40ish yard of him, I was in the right area at the right time of year and now I finally pinned down one of his beds and I can go examine the area and learn as much as I can. Maybe next time the buck shows up you nailed his bed, you have an idea from scouting what direction he might head and you have much better odds to get an arrow in him next time. Stay positive and you never lose and you fend off that evil frustration.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 am

Hunting definitely has it's ups and downs! We all can get a little down if we're not seeing deer. But like Dewey said, "It only takes a few seconds for your season to turn around".

I live by the saying, "A bad day of hunting, beats a good day at work"! I try to enjoy every minute I spend in the woods. Seeing deer or not seeing deer, I always try to pull something possessive from every trip I make.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:50 am

I love hunting and being out in the woods, but a 4 hour one way drive and dealing with family politics takes a toll on morale. This year my dad and I are going to do a lot more fishing. Will it make me a better hunter or give me a better chance to get a deer? Nope. But I'm sick of getting calls and texts all weekend about my fishing buddies getting limits of walleyes while I'm out hunting and dealing with stuff I can't control.

There are a couple areas near my camper I'll hunt Saturday evenings. Still get to fish, and get to hunt. And it will be more fun and less driving. And the deer density is higher which is a plus

I'll be in my stand probably half the hours I was last season. But I guarantee I'll have a better season, have more fun, and I'll keep the live from the lake thread going strong :lol:

Remeber, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If something isn't working, change it up
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:30 am

I only hunt on days that I feel 100% confident. I have my days where I just rather stay home and not do anything. IMO, there is nothing wrong with that. I have had those days where I was confident being out there and suddenly my hunt was ruined by unforeseen matters. Like some mentioned by turning your hunt into a scouting mission, or like me, I usually have a back up plan and head to a different public section to hunt for those just-in-case situations.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 am

I believe that my state of mind is the most important aspect of my hunting and success. I can't / won't try to explain it but i will say that when my mind is right my success and enjoyment skyrocket. I have learned to be aware of this and hunt accordingly. If my head is not in the game I am not afraid to change things up. I refuse to force a hunt anymore. It is counterproductive.
Next time you find yourself wandering and frustrated sit down and refocus. Just sit there and enjoy nature. Look at the beauty around you. Relax and let go. Don't even worry about the fact you are not hunting. I would bet that is the REAL reason you are out there in the first place.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees" Henry David Thoreau
""many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:57 am

My biggest discouragement has always been other hunters. Having hunted primarily public land for going on 16 years, the way other guys just crash through the woods with no apparent idea gets me riled up more than it probably should. I'm not talking about guys who maybe have to walk past you to get to another spot and are obviously trying to take their time and be quiet. It's public land. We have to share. I'm talking about the goobers with their bow on their shoulder, smoking a cigarette, and only trying to be quiet when they're approaching their spot. Or the guys who show up an hour before dark and you've been there for two hours so you can get in there clean. I try to just be cool and not say anything cause I don't own the land, but wow it's frustrating.

As far as having "blown hunts" like accidentally spooking deer or what not, I don't let that bother me. I'll just look for more information to try and make it better the next time.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 am

Some great responses so far.

I'm fairly new to all of this as well, and I have had many times when I have felt serious frustration at myself over my mistakes in the last couple of years. (I'll share one below.) Our response to frustration tells us more about ourselves and our own character than anything else. If you give up, shut down, and quit while in the woods, then you may be likely to do this at home when you get upset with yourself or your loved ones. It may be your natural response to shut down and withdraw, but you will mature as a hunter when you persevere and overcome these frustrations.

I also think understanding the main thing that triggers frustration is impotant. Then you can figure out how to avoid it or overcome it. If frustration comes from others in your spots, plan out five other spots before you arrive. If it is getting upset over yourself over noise, then go slow and practice in the offseason. Prepare to be frustrated next season, and practice now to overcome it.

You might ask yourself also why you are hunting. If it is not fun, then don't do it to please others or feed your ego. Follow your own passion. For me, this is recreation. I must be pretty twisted, but I enjoy most of it. Even the difficult parts make me chuckle inwardly and make for good memories later. I have a silly phrase I try to follow, "Savor the suffering". It helps me stay in the moment when times are tough.

So a very frustrating night for me happened this last October during the supermoon. I hunted a point that looked great in the spring. First problem was variable winds. I could feel the frustration building every time the wind shifted wrong. But guess what--I knew it was variable and I made the poor choice to go there anyway. It was immature of me to expect the wind to obey my whims. I set myself up to be frustrated by my own poor choice. Next time I will go to a non wind-specific bedding area and observe from afar .

But I was already mad and when I got down my headlamp died on me. (Lack of organization and planning on my part. Another problem I can solve this year.)

In my frustration I tried to climb a hillside through a huge thicket. Bad idea! Good thing it was a supermoon. I still fell down twice and it took three tries and 30 minutes to climb 100 feet in elevation. I lost an arrow from my quiver too. When I get frustrated I tend to be stubborn instead of flexible. That's just me.

The frustrating times can point out what you need to focus on in order to improve.

Look at it the other way. Many guys are in the same stands from year to year and are perfectly content with poor outcomes. They will never change as long as they are happy. Be glad to be frustrated. Learn from your frustrations and overcome. You will mature as a hunter.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 am

magicman54494 wrote:I believe that my state of mind is the most important aspect of my hunting and success. I can't / won't try to explain it but i will say that when my mind is right my success and enjoyment skyrocket. I have learned to be aware of this and hunt accordingly. If my head is not in the game I am not afraid to change things up. I refuse to force a hunt anymore. It is counterproductive.
Next time you find yourself wandering and frustrated sit down and refocus. Just sit there and enjoy nature. Look at the beauty around you. Relax and let go. Don't even worry about the fact you are not hunting. I would bet that is the REAL reason you are out there in the first place.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees" Henry David Thoreau
""many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau

I like this one a lot. I killed a deer from the ground this year, and almost got a second from the ground late January.

And you are right. I LOVE the scenery and the tranquility of being out there. Nothing really matters. Everything is so peaceful. I think I was just so anxious and overwhelmed with trying to get my first deer that I lost track of things. Because after I harvested my first one I relaxed and I never had an "episode" lol. I guess I felt like a failure. hahaha!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Pushing hard can get results but it also takes it's toll. I often kind of regret it a little. But if I'm feeling sleep deprived and run down I sleep in. It was best in the long run. Even did this before my health issues. We're all different and need to do what's best for us. I quit elk hunting on Sunday afternoons because I knew there was no way to get out of work the next day. If I got something Sunday evening I knew I couldn't get it out and put in an honest days work too!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I used to try to get every minute i could in, but I found myself burnt out pretty bad right about the time I really needed to be on my game. Now I'm not gonna say I don't hunt mornings, but I hunt a lot less mornings in a row. I try to plan out mornings off where the weather may not be cooperating or conditions aren't ideal. Most of the time I still end up out scouting new areas around 10am when most guys are off their stands. Found some awesome spots that way. especially when I am up in KY on the farm I'll shoot over to a nearby piece of public and drive the roads looking for hunting pressure (where are people parked) and do a scout/hunt in the least pressure spots I come across. I killed some of my better deer before I found the beast on these leisurely scout hunts midday or later when I threw a stand at it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I try not to let anything discourage me while hunting anymore, most places I hunt on public or private are swamps or marshes, and that brings duck hunters. It used to get me so riled up I'd be I'm my stand an hour before light and it's gray light and a couple hundred yards away boom booom boom, scares the crap out of ya! I'd sit there stewing for a couple hours listening to guys talking laughing blowing whistles at dogs guns blazing, it drove me crazy, I'd leave a lot of the time right away. Then I stared thinking, these guys are out hunting and having fun, they are not after the same game I am but it's their fun. They are hunters to. They have permission or are on public and have every right I do to be here. I started waiting them out, duck hunters are usually gone after a couple hours. Since then I've had some good encounters with mature bucks either while the duck hunters were still there or hours after they leave.

I've come to learn that one of the most powerful things you can do for yourself while bow hunting is to always sit there with a positive attitude. Keep telling yourself your in the right spot, you already did the work and the buck you want is coming, he'll be here soon. On the drive to your spot tell yourself today is the day, I'm going to kill him visualize it see it convince yourself it already happened, put it out there in the universe. A friend convinced me to do this and I'm telling you I know it works. If anything it is way better than sitting there second guessing yourself.
Aim small miss small
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 pm

mike perry wrote:I try not to let anything discourage me while hunting anymore, most places I hunt on public or private are swamps or marshes, and that brings duck hunters. It used to get me so riled up I'd be I'm my stand an hour before light and it's gray light and a couple hundred yards away boom booom boom, scares the crap out of ya! I'd sit there stewing for a couple hours listening to guys talking laughing blowing whistles at dogs guns blazing, it drove me crazy, I'd leave a lot of the time right away. Then I stared thinking, these guys are out hunting and having fun, they are not after the same game I am but it's their fun. They are hunters to. They have permission or are on public and have every right I do to be here. I started waiting them out, duck hunters are usually gone after a couple hours. Since then I've had some good encounters with mature bucks either while the duck hunters were still there or hours after they leave.

I've come to learn that one of the most powerful things you can do for yourself while bow hunting is to always sit there with a positive attitude. Keep telling yourself your in the right spot, you already did the work and the buck you want is coming, he'll be here soon. On the drive to your spot tell yourself today is the day, I'm going to kill him visualize it see it convince yourself it already happened, put it out there in the universe. A friend convinced me to do this and I'm telling you I know it works. If anything it is way better than sitting there second guessing yourself.

This is a very powerful thing. Every day I am hunting I feel this is the day I am going to kill a big buck. If I don't that day I'm already looking forward to the next day. When self doubt sets in you will not be focussed on the things you need to be successful. This applies to just about everything in life not just hunting.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Remember your best hunts could come from those bad days. I killed my best Florida buck on a day I was running late. Had a flat that morning and almost didn't go. Changed the tire, drove an hour. Parked started walking. It was already cresting daylight. As I approach my stand I hung the night before I see 2 does cross in front of me. I figured it was blown. I started climbing my sticks. 3 steps up and a spike bolts from 10yrds away in the palmettos. Now I'm just mad. It's plenty daylight now. Get to the top of my sticks and a big sow hog takes off from 20yrds away. Ok hunt is over. I was just passing time at this point. 15 min later a nice 8pt slides in. I put an arrow in him at 25yrds. I was way late, my hunt lasted 15min, and I killed my best Florida buck. You never know.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”