My hunting evolution

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

My hunting evolution

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 am

Years ago I too hunted a small private area. Sitting in the same 6-8 pre-set stands all season. We used to shoot a couple bucks every year. We scouted very little, and set out camera's in the same spots every year. Then it seemed every year it got harder and harder to tag a buck or even see a nice buck. Obviously, they were on to us, and re-directing around our stands. I never realized it back then, but the pressure aspect does hold true! And as I recall, the times we'd move a stand, we would end up shooting a buck shortly after. The light bulb never really went off. We would still spend many hours in our "historically" favorite stands.

25 years later: I've been hunting strictly public land for four years now. I love the freedom to move whenever I want to. I found the Beast a little over a year ago. I had never hunted a bed my entire life. I never scouted before like, I do now. If I scouted a handful of times pre-beast, now it's 10 times that. I was hunting mobile four years ago, but since the Beast, I've stepped up my game significantly. I've abandoned a few of my original areas, just because of pressure. 4 years ago, they were my primary spots, now I don't even hunt them. I have probably tripled my hunting sets in the last two years. As I go thru my hunting season, I make notes of areas I like the "look" of. I cyber scout those areas, and if things look good, I get boots on the ground. Sometimes during the season and sometimes after. You need to be ever expanding your hunting areas. I'm always on the lookout for that next big buck honey hole.

It is definitely much more work, but I'm enjoying it more than I ever have before! The Beast/Beast members help to motivate me to scout harder, scout longer & strive to be a better hunter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: My hunting evolution

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 am

Great post- the bottom line is the fact that you are enjoying it. You have continued to develop as a hunter and you weren't satisfied with where you were... so you did something about it.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 am

And the learning never ends. You don't have to be gifted. Just a willingness to learn and a willingness to work and work hard.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 am

mainebowhunter wrote:And the learning never ends. You don't have to be gifted. Just a willingness to learn and a willingness to work and work hard.

I couldn't have said it better. 8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am

I'm not afraid to put in the work. That won't be one of my shortcomings this season! Even though I have a few.

The biggest unknown for me is: Will the sign I'm finding & sets I'm planning, actually produce encounters with mature bucks? Does the land I'm planning on hunting actually hold a mature buck? I think I know what I need to be doing, but all bets are off until the season starts.

The learning curve is steep and I feel like I'm still climbing hard!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:55 am

I feel the same. The success I tasted this year putting things together and seeing some nice bucks from the stand on public has been incredible. I am still trying to figure out how to kill that mature FL buck and this year I am pumped to get it done. Either way at least I am in the game now. Moving from hunting the KY farm 100% of my time up there to hitting some public and actually seeing bucks was very cool and I plan to do more of it this year in another piece of KY public land.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:35 am

Well said!

I am just hoping to stay married now that I have started all of this Beast hunting....

My kids love it tho!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

:text-bravo:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
It is truly an evolution, congrats Tgreeno! Great Thread!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”