What if can't hunt the leeward side?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jwalters

What if can't hunt the leeward side?

Unread postby Jwalters » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 pm

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/jwalt ... ml?filters[user]=125302014&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

This hill faces due west where do they bed? I know this hill side vary well shot a bunch of deer off it for 20 yes and seen big bucks but only taken a few during the rut.

I like big bucks an can not lie :dance:
<DK>
500 Club

Re: What if can't hunt the leeward side?

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 am

Im getting an error w your link, try posting it one more time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 am

I also am getting the error thing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jwalters

Unread postby Jwalters » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 am

file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/20170322_071816.png
Hope this works.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 am

Jwalters wrote:file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/20170322_071816.png
Hope this works.

Still can't open it.
Jwalters

Unread postby Jwalters » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 am

sorry about this but I think ive got it! :dance:

also feel free to mark anything interesting on the map. thanks
scoot12

Unread postby scoot12 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 pm

I am new to the beast but just had Dan to my land to scout. I also have a west ridge that doesn't look quite that steep. From having Dan right by me and telling me what land features to look for helped a ton. The little nobs that are bumps in the topo lines is likely where the beds will be. Normally with a west ridge, the wind will have to be coming out of the east for the bucks to be there. I had some beds on my west ridge that where almost facing south on the west ridge nobs. Dan told me that the buck bedded there could have been facing south and in that case a north wind would work too. Wind would be coming at his back then. I would check out those nobs or blips in the topo line right before lines get closer together. Boots to the ground is the best way to find the beds. You would be shocked that even though the beds are on the west ridge, the nob could be positioned so the buck is facing the north or south. I might be wrong here but witnessed it with the serial killer himself. Scoot
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Try looking for a smaller scale of what your looking for in the bigger picture of things. Some thing that will disrupt the wind flow. A secondary ridge line, a pop up type land feature, a knob perpendicular to the main slope, where more open hardwoods transitions to thicker/denser vegetation, a small opening in the canopy, an area with several blow downs, a change in vegetation height, all things that can cause the wind and or thermal flows to be disrupted and cause an eddy. You may not be on the ideal side, but there may be a "micro climate" so to speak that can certainly suffice for good bedding. I don't have a lot of experience hunting this type of situation, but this has been my experience/$.02
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 am

:whistle: Now that is a hill!

I agree w DanT. Also try to search ariels for good cover and the spots that match w those points are for sure where I would start. Looks like you have wetlands down low, brush up on that type of terrain bedding. If you go to the scouting section, toward the top is 2017 scouting reports, should be some excellent examples in there for many different types of terrain bedding.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 am

Where hill country and swamp/marsh bedding meet, hill will be where the best bedding takes place. more security.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 am

Good tips from everyone so far. The guys that have chimed in know their stuff. I also recently acquired permission to hunt a property with a west facing slope and these tips are helpful. As already mentioned, scout as much as you can and pay attention to the deer you see even when scouting. Note the wind direction and where you bumped them and where they went after you bumped them. Pay attention to these same details when hunting season rolls around. Also, not sure of where you can access this piece from, but that creek looks like a nice way to access the lower end without dropping scent everywhere. It sounds like you have good knowledge of this land already, so that helps. Its a real eye opener when you start listening to the tactics that the guys on this forum use. Gives you a fresh perspective on how to hunt familiar turf.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 am

Without seeing the vagitation I'd look in the "ess" bend of the creek right above the S. Also on either side of any of the draws that climb the steep right where it flattens out some. If the south draw has cover it should have deer bedding where it flattens. That draw looks like it will pull some thermals.
Jwalters

Unread postby Jwalters » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 am

I appreciate all the tips! I found this site about two weeks ago or so and have been like a sponge soaking up info! This topo is all within walking distance of my house and there's some nice deer still running around i want to be ready next fall! I've also been scouting another area that that's holding a vary large (180") buck that is a leeward hill side and I've scouted and found some vary good sign and beds I through a cam in there three weeks ago! Soon I'm going to go get that and prep. Trees to hunt that area also. Thanks again for contributing on this great site!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”