Anyone shoot a deer with your stand on your back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matlocc

Anyone shoot a deer with your stand on your back?

Unread postby matlocc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 am

Wonder if anyone walking in has shot a deer with most of your equipment on your back.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Anyone shoot a deer with your stand on your back?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 am

I came pretty damn close one time. Too much brush in the way. But a decent buck came walking by as I was getting to the tree I wanted to be in. Another time one walked by as I was climbing the tree. He got to about 10 yards and then saw me half way up the tree. Bow on the ground, stand on my back. Others must have had better luck then I with this.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 am

Had a 6 point once within 15 yards.. didn't shoot though
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

I shot a 1.5 while walking in, slid the stand off of my shoulder before drawing though.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Not with stand on my back, but had just put the stand around the tree and was prepping my gear to climb when I noticed a buck bedded about 20 yards away. He had no clue I was there and stood up and fed right out into the open. Smoked him and he was dead in 40 yards. Fastest hunt ever :lol:
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Short answer no. But in 2014 I rattled in a solid 8 that stopped at 51 in the middle of a cornfield. I was in route to a brush blind when I saw him carrying my stool etc., got in the fencerow and started rattling. I slam dunked a good buck at 45 the year before, and if he was at 45 I would have let it rip, but that was my absolute max, in ideal conditions and I didn't want to push it
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm

I snuck up on a bedded 8 point with my stand and sticks on my back. It was very windy and he was about 30 yds. He stood up. I already had an arrow knocked and I dropped the stand off my back. Drew and shot right over his back. Knocked another and deflected of a branch then he high tailed it out of there.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Should have had a dead hog with stand on back. Couldn't find release in time and had to take stand off back to use as a shield. Accidentally got between sow and her piglets walking in and she got real pissed. Started the load chomping of her teeth and mock charged and then went off. Came within 20 was not the most fun way to start your afternoon.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Doe with my bow. Climber on my back heading out of the swamp. Dropped just feet from the main trail. made for an easy drag back to the truck.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 am

Shot at a doe @ 19 yards not 75 yards into the woods. I was needing some meat for the freezer but after my arrow flew in front of the does chest I realized my rest had come loose... so I was grouping 9" left at 20 yards!

Would've been an awesome hunt to spot & stalk a group of does with my stand on my back, maybe next year...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:30 am

Missed a doe with my climber on my back. The previous night's chili and alcohol kicked in right as I was getting ready to walk out. Took care of business, walked to my tree, 20 yards away a doe was giving me the look. Nocked an arrow, drew back, and hit some brush. I just sliced open the skin on her throat. No blood, just zipped her. She circled, and my uncle shot her about 100 yards away from his tree.

My dad also missed a spike during all of this another hundred yards past my uncle. Gave the spike a buzzcut, and my uncles buddy shot the spike the following weekend, same tree.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 am

My brother in-law and I were hunting some public in Waupaca Co., Wisconsin. We walked in with our stands on our backs and I branched off as he continued on. I had no more than settled into the tree than did I hear his shot break the stillness of that afternoon. He was only seventy yards further along, still-hunting his way to the area he planned to hunt. He misjudged the yardage shot right over the buck at 30-yards. It's relatively easy to misjudge yardage from the ground when you're moving and making decisions on the fly. Despite being close by, he only moved on another fifty yards before settling on a tree and no sooner than did he settle in than did a black bear walk up to his pack he left at the base of the tree and sniff it.

I've personally had a lot of encounters with the stand on my back, but typically during the rut and usually before light as bucks will crash your party to investigate your sound.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 am

Missed one in 2003.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 am

I killed a doe once (i think 3 years ago) on the way out with the climber on my back. 5 yard shot while two little nub bucks were trying mount a her right in front of me. I coulda killed two last season almost right next to my car as I was getting my stuff ready to head into the woods one morning. Little buck chasing a doe right in the ditch where I was parked and they did not care I was standing there watching. Those are neat experiences.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 am

I did this year on some public land.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”